Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2013, 10:40   #1

charts for trans Atlantic voyage

I am planning a trip from Jacksonville, Fl to Bermuda, the Azores then Lisbon and the Mediterranean starting next May. I would like some advice on sources of nautical charts, recommended charts, paper and digital. I have a Garmin chartplotter but I want paper charts too. Everything I see is so expensive. I am willing to pay for good products however. Cruising guide recommendations would be welcome too. I have a Hallberg Rassy 352.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: charts for trans Atlantic voyage

Hi Ralph.

Have you tried Bellingham? Bellingham Chart Printers

Generally good prices and also offer 2/3 size charts and folios that are cheaper and take less room. Not sure but think you may have options on what kind of paper.

If you want just basic minimum backup get a small scale chart of the Atlantic just for position plotting and one or two harbor charts for Bermuda, Azores and Europe.

Let me know how it goes. I'm in Gainesville and will be launching this year in Green Cove planning the same trip in 2-3 years.

Skip

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27   #3

Thanks Skip,
I checked Bellington, I like the completeness of their packages. It makes sense for me to spend the money and get a complete set of charts as you never know when you will have to make port somewhere other than planned. My boat is in Fernandina Beach and I hope to head out in May 2014. I am repowering now and wondering is I need a watermaker? Do you have any thoughts?

Bud
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37   #4
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The sun rises in the east........ Then you run into a big continent......

dave
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The sun rises in the east........ Then you run into a big continent......

dave
Sounds like my old sailing directions to get back from the Bahamas. Sail west and you will run into a big old continent. Then look for the smoke stacks at the power plant next to the inlet. 4 stacks, Ft Lauderdale, 2 stacks, Palm Beach. Then they took down the stacks and I had to learn how to navigate.

Going east you could get lucky and sail right through the Straights of Gibraltar and end up in Asia, missing Europe altogether.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46   #6

Depending on your personal habits as well as how many in your crew the 79 gallon water tanks may not go that far.
Having said that I cruised on a 36 footer for a year offshore with half that water and we could go almost a month using it only for rinsing and drinking/cooking. So you can get by without a water maker as when we started there wasn't such a thing and no one had one but these days the cruisers want more basic comfort and this includes me, LOL. Good luck in your prep times.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphmacey View Post
Thanks Skip,
I checked Bellington, I like the completeness of their packages. It makes sense for me to spend the money and get a complete set of charts as you never know when you will have to make port somewhere other than planned.
And that's a fact. Happened to me a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphmacey View Post
I am repowering now and wondering is I need a watermaker? Do you have any thoughts?

Bud
I have lots of thoughts and more than a few on the subject of watermakers. Doesn't mean I've come found the final answer yet.

On one hand, I spent years sailing on a boat with a 75 gallon water tank and did just fine. Didn't take 30 minute hot, freshwater showers every day but I managed to stay clean and salt free.

And I like to keep it simple and I can always find another, indispensable gadget to blow another boat buck (or 5 or 6) on.

So watermakers? Essential, no! Good planning and some spare gallon jugs of drinking water in the bottom of all the lockers in case your main tank is lost will get you there safely. Handy, certainly but I think less essential in Europe than in isolated islands, third world, etc. Most places I've been in Europe you can drink the water or at least shower in it.

So, unless I find an extra 5K or so laying around collecting dust in my bank account I will stick with a really good dual filtration with UV sterilization setup for now.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53   #8
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Going east you could get lucky and sail right through the Straights of Gibraltar and end up in Asia, missing Europe altogether.
I wont call that lucky , Id call that exceptional navigating to miss all that land on the way.

dave
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55   #9

Thanks Robert,
I think I will start out without a water maker and see how it goes. I will bring extra gerry cans just in case.

Bud
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59   #10

Thanks again for the replies. I don't have much room for a watermaker and there are the power and maintenance requirements.

Has anyone a recommendation for a weather router for the trip?

Bud
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59   #11
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thats nearly 300 litres, you can easily get away with 4 litres per crew perday , which with three crew gives you loads to get to the Azores.

In europe, you dont need watermakers, get the stuff everywhere. anyway beer is cheaper.

dave
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06   #12

Boat: Shopping...

Hello Ralph,

It's funny: We have the same plan...and a similar boat. Probable departing date last week of May. Boat is in Fort Pierce right now.

We have a watermaker but we bought it for our Caribbean trip. To stay off the grid.

I have to check out Bellington charts!

Good luck,

Marc
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wont call that lucky , Id call that exceptional navigating to miss all that land on the way.

dave
True, but not much more exceptional than sailing across the Atlantic and showing up at the marina dock in Lisbon without a chart.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20   #14

Boat: Shopping...

When we sailed back to the States from USVI last Spring, we used Herb (Southbound 11) but Herb is now retired. We will use a Canadian weather routing service called Mariner's Net. Free but in french... If you are interested, I'll post time and frequency. And you must have a ham licence.

Marc
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21   #15
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
True, but not much more exceptional than sailing across the Atlantic and showing up at the marina dock in Lisbon without a chart.
you're Boatie's, cousin then ....

Tags
charts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: