Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 12:42   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Chartering in Greece Santorini/Mikonos

Stop - you're both right. When the cruise ships are in and disgorge as many tourists into the town as half or more of the native population then it is a downmarket experience. In the evenings when they are gone it is a very nice town to wander around in, with lots of expensive shops to take your money. Clearly this is one helluva place for gay nightlife - hard to miss with prominent places like the "Ram" bar. I would guess there are also many straight venues; I am not really into clubbing but perhaps someone half my age would comment. Friends of mine were anchored off a beach enjoying a lunch aboard when they noticed that a gay couple were coupling on the beach nearby - whether such overt sexuality is "downmarket" or not is in the eye of the beholder but be aware that this is an adult playground.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:48   #17

Boat: Discovery 50

Stop !

It’s probably one of the gayest places in the world - that’s why folks should go there. It’s relaxed, it’s great for straight people too ! When do gays go downmarket for heavens sake ....
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:32   #18
cruiser

I do not understand here something. Do you people giving him "advice" how to be free loader and have free lunch or for nice places to visit, because Santorini and Mikonos are both very nice places to spend day/night, even few days if you have time.

I have plenty of time so whenever I go sailing/ cruising I stay for whole season but this is what I would do if I have no more then couple of weeks.

1 Syros Finikas
2 Kythnos Loutra
3 Serifos
4 Sifnos Kamares
5 ''
6 Little Cyclades
7 Amorgos
8 ''
9 Donoussa
10 Naxos
11 Paros Naoussa
12 Mykonos Delos
13 Tinos
14 Syros Finikas

1 Paros Paroikia
2 Sifnos Kamares
3 Milos
4 Polyaigos
5 Folegandros
6 Santorini
7 ''
8 Astypalea
9 Amorgos
10 ''
11 Little Cyclades
12 Naxos
13 Paros Naoussa
14 Paros Paroikia

1 Alimos/Kalamaki
2 Sounion
3 Kea
4 Kythnos Mericha
5 Serifos
6 Sifnos Kameres
7 ''
8 Milos
9 Polyaigos
10 Paros Paroikia
11 Paros Naoussa
12 Syros Ermoupolis
13 Kythnos Loutra
14 Alimos/Kalamaki

1 Lavrion
2 Kythnos Loutra
3 Syros Finikas
4 Paros Naoussa
5 Naxos
6 Amorgos
7 ''
8 Little Cyclades
9 Sifnos Kamares
10 ''
11 Serifos
12 Kythnos Mericha
13 Kea
14 Lavrion

My favourite anchorages

Fjord bay on Amorgos island;
St John or Ay. Ioannis bay on Naxos island;
Kastro, Platis Gialos and Faros bays on Sifnos island;
Poleis bay on Kea island;
Manolonisi bay on Polyaigos island;
Sand bar bay on Kythnos island;
Naoussa bay on Paros island;
The anchorages in the Little Cyclades: Karos, Schinoussa, Koufonisia;
For the geology: south bays and coast of Milos island;
The flooded caldera of Santorini island: Thira, Thirasia and Kammeni.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 06:18   #19

Boat: seawind1250 syndicate

Thankyou, just what I wanted, ill research the places you have said and plan accordingly.
nauticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 06:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Well, you may go wherever you like but to Santorini on a boat. There is no anchorage and the marina is by far the worst I have ever seen. (I have seen a tons of marina all around the world..)
As Palarran suggested, search a bit on CF, you will see.
Another issue is the wind force; around Mikanos and Santorini 40-45 kts of winds are very common. You are very likely to break something , thus try to insure yrself for any damages that might occur.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 08:27   #21

Boat: Chartering so far

I chartered last year from Athens for 4 weeks and went round the Cyclades.
Totally recommendable but worst spots were Mykonos and Santorini and if I went back I would totally skip them, perhaps sail across the Santorini Caldera but that’s it.
If you can get your charter in Naxos it is great. There is airport in Mykonos and you can take a ferry to Naxos Naoussa. No hassle.
Yes Meltemi was strong at times but you always find the way.
Ports were inexpensive and the most expensive Marina was 25€ I think in Milos.
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:12   #22

Boat: Beneteau 43

Custom Sailing Worldwide charters in Greece and is
a good company to deal with.
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 14:40   #23
cruiser

I do not know why you against Santorini and Mikonos. Couple of years ago I spend 3 months in that area and I had fantastic time and I liked it very much..

Don't know, maybe thats is just me or because i spend €10,000 in tri months.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 03:43   #24

Firstly Greece is an amazing place to sail, you will have a lot of fun. We don't charter, just sail our boat and have to agree with what most people have said about Santorini. Amazing place to sail through (Caldera), but best to stay in Ios and visit by ferry (only 12nm away).

We loved Mykonos, however we visited out of season and had Southerly winds and anchored outside Little Venice which was perfect, not a great place in summer with Northerly winds unless you just wish to anchor off the party beaches.

My favourite place has been Milos, the beaches are amazing if that's your thing and totally unique. It's a large Island with lots to see, but pretty far away from where most charter companies are based. But I will post a video we made and it will make you want to go there hahaha trust me.

Naoussa on Paros is also a pretty place and a heap of places to see. Good luck! If you change your mind and consider the Ionian will happily give you some tips.

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 09:43   #25

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Lots of good advice given. Everybody has their own opinion.

I have sailed my own boat around most of Greece and would say that Myconos and Santorini are the last places I would choose to visit. But Myconos is a good place to fly to and sail from.

There are numerous islands all within daysailing distance but heed the advice about the Meltami and don’t go to fair South or you will end up having a VERY heavy weather up wind return.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:46   #26

Hey! How is your plan going?
Spent a month with a charter yacht in the Cyclades last summer and I would definitely not recommend stay a minute in Mykonos or Santorini. Mykonos marina is hell horrible and Santorini does not allow yachts in the southern marina unless maybe you charter from there. Besides the hospitality, prices, service, beauty in most of the other islands is more authentic by far. Yes, you can party in Mykonos but you can also in Milos.
We stayed during July and the hottest wind spots in the region was Mykonos where I had to ask my guests to get a ferry and come down to Naxos to board since it was too windy and I did not want to face the attitude at Mykonos marina.
I think you should be flexible in your itinerary as per wind and anywhere you go you cannot miss. Just plan the route on weekly basis from the day you get there as per wind, the usual.
I would go for Amorgos and Milos, also the small cyclades south of Naxos which are just beautiful. Also Sifnos which is upscaled sophisticated. Ios is a party island for young europeans, beautiful but destroyed, easily skippable.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
When are you thinking of going ? If during the summer be careful of the Meltemi - if its blowing you may not be going anywhere unless you like big seas and very strong winds. August is notorious for this and it can blow for days on end. Beautiful part of Greece though and lots of fun.
Yes indeed..do not underestimate the meltemi

The region you are thinking of cruising is blasted by the meltemi

North and west Aegean is more civilized
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:27   #28

Meltemi is a matter of luck.
Last July it was not strong Meltemi except of 2 or 3 days and in very located places that were perfectly described by all wind apps so we adjusted the trip to the wind and changed route.
It was risky but we even made it Santorini to Athens via Milos during 2 weeks without much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Yes indeed..do not underestimate the meltemi

The region you are thinking of cruising is blasted by the meltemi

North and west Aegean is more civilized
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimesan View Post
Meltemi is a matter of luck.
Last July it was not strong Meltemi except of 2 or 3 days and in very located places that were perfectly described by all wind apps so we adjusted the trip to the wind and changed route.
It was risky but we even made it Santorini to Athens via Milos during 2 weeks without much trouble.
You just never know

This is why the central Aegean is a poor charter destination ...you might choose the wrong time for a two week cruise

If you do decide to take a chance , remember to bring along a 7 ton block of concrete to use as an anchor ...high winds on the lee side of the islands and widespread posodonia make anchoring in the meltemi a challenge

I’ve spent many years in the Aegean

If I was to charter a boat it would be the northern Aegean

Very beautiful up there and youre pretty much guaranteed 7 day a week
Sailing because the meltemi strength is much reduced 15 to20 instead of 30 to40 knots
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:29   #30

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

A lot of people suggest chartering in the Athens region. I would suggest charter in Kos if you want to do the Cyclades. from there it's a 1 or 2-day hop to Patmos or Samos. From there you can go counter-clockwise through the Cyclades back to Kos. That way you have the wind aft of the beam most of the trip. You can fly into Kos pretty easily. And there is a charter fleet on Kos.

Or negotiate a one-way trip from Athens. That way you can take your time and don't have to stress out if the Meltemi starts blowing earlier than normal.

Option 3 is sail the Penepolese. Easy sailing, short hops and also lots to see.

Option 4 is the Ionian. This is where 80% of all charters are. It's known for its easy sailing.

All areas are easily reached by local puddle-jumper from Athens. And since you're flying in from Australia and additional hour should be a snap ;-)
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Greece