Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 09:33   #16
Tnd
Marine Service Provider

Re: Charter Vacation - Italy vs Greece vs Croatia - Pros and Cons ?

I agree that one week is too short to visit Greece from Montenegro, but for Croatia-it's not. It's pretty close. I really can't agree that Greece is much more beautiful than Croatia,no it's not, at all. That's maybe because i'm from Croatia, but that is my opinion. Whatever you decide, it's obvious that one week is too short to see everything. Best solution would be that each summer you visit one country
Tnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 10:40   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnd View Post
I really can't agree that Greece is much more beautiful than Croatia,no it's not, at all.
Agree with this - both countries are different, but both are beatiful really. Saying this - I personally do prefere visit Croatia from shoreside, by car (do not like this in Greece), and for me Greece offer more interesting and varied cruising ground when going for sailing vacations. But it is only my personal choice - we all are biased, one way or another
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 12:03   #18
Tnd
Marine Service Provider

With that- I can agree
All countries all beautiful, one way or another. Too bad that you prefer Greece. But if you ever decide to come and sail in Croatia, we will show you that we can be better than Greece
Old 23-03-2011, 12:07   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
With that- I can agree
All countries all beautiful, one way or another. Too bad that you prefer Greece. But if you ever decide to come and sail in Croatia, we will show you that we can be better than Greece
Been there some times from land but also sailed there. Hope You will be in EU shortly - less formalities to come by boat
Old 23-03-2011, 12:15   #20
Tnd
Marine Service Provider

We also hope to become EU member soon. Till then, chartering a boat is option
Old 24-03-2011, 04:29   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We also hope to become EU member soon. Till then, chartering a boat is option
Really hope next year it will be done. May be you do not know, but speeding up the things regarding the matter was declared as one of top priorities form incoming Polish preidency in EU. I'm really looking forward to it
Old 24-03-2011, 04:48   #22
Tnd
Marine Service Provider

A lot of people in Croatia are expectant in that matter. We will see what will happen. But, that is subject for another forum
You maybe coming in Croatia this year? Do you have you own boat or?
Old 24-03-2011, 10:27   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You maybe coming in Croatia this year? Do you have you own boat or?
Yes, I do
Details are under my avatar
May be I will go to Adriatic next year.

Best regards - let's stop the thread drift

Tomasz
Old 24-03-2011, 10:40   #24
Tnd
Marine Service Provider

Contact me if you come, maybe we can organize little sailing tour
Best regards,
Tnd
Old 24-03-2011, 11:47   #25

Boat: Moody 376 & San Juan 7.7

For Greece try this website: Sailing Greece - free yachting and charter holiday guide to sail the Greek islands - yacht charters Greece very comprehensive loads of info though the itineraries provided for a week are a little ambitious. We didn't cover the ground we planned to cover based on one of the 1 week itineraries. We ended up chartering from Sailing In Blue from Athens and had a great experience. The Beneteau Oceanis 393 was clean and well equipped (if a little older) and in great condition (apart from the knot-meter not working (glad i took my handheld gps) and a slightly smelly aft head). Be aware that bareboat with SIB means exactly that, based on the info from the sailingissues website we were expecting some things like salt pepper cooking oil and condiments to be included but they weren't. Up to date charts and the indispensable Rod Heikells Greek Water Pilot were on board. really enjoyed Poros, Angistri but my favorite was Epidavros.
wryanddry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 02:42   #26

This is my rough calculation of average daily cost for sailing in Croatia for shorter tours (2-3 days) with at least 5 person on boat. Pay attention, this cost can go up or down, but after years of sailing I came up with this calculation. And let me tell you - we are not stingy. We like comfort and rarely sustain from providing all the things our stomachs, throats or spines desire.

100 euros per person

That includes:

- the renting of the boat
- the skipper
- marinas and anchoring costs
- food
- drink (we are drinking pretty much)
- at least once in 3 days you go to eat in the restaurant

This cost will increase if:

- you are renting in high season (June to August)
- you are visiting restaurant more often (the kilo of high quality fish is cca 40 euros)

This cost will decrease if:

- you are not hiring a skipper (the skipper is cca. 100 euros per day high season).
- you don't visit restaurant or don't drink that much.
pjosip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 03:54   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Food is also cheaper in Greece and – as long as You don’t stick to quayside tavernas – is better also
a key point.

Btw, ive charted in Italy, Greece and Croatia, and done several deliveries into all of them. I still prefer Turkey.

If you want great food, and cutesy villages, Id go for a sail around Corsica, Despite what all the Italians say, France is the best for food, its an attitude thing. Onlty thing in peak seasons corsica is packed.

Croatia is now very expensive ( 2010) and the hordes of boats looking for marina space is tiresome, we found we need to be in before 3pm to secure a space in the popular islands. Food was middle of the road, some fabulous meals of local food and some poor ones. Croatia used to be reasonably priced but now well....

Greece, in my experience if you want light winds its has to be the Ionian, yes youll have lots of begiiner flotillas, but you can easily avoid them. Greece is cheaper, food is quite good, especially away from the dockside. Drink is fairly cheap.

Italy, well in my opinion, you can forget the adriatic side, The west side is fine, but gets very crowded and some of the marinas are not good quality. Up along the Italian riveria is nice, lots of expensive marinas, expensive but good food and mixing with the glitterati. However if I wanted ( and I have done) the Riveria, I stay and sail the Cote D'azure, best food anywhere but marina spaces are impossible to find.

Corsica is a wonderful place to sail, as in Sardinia and Sciliy,. Crowds and expensive marinas aside ( 50-70 euros per night typ).

The Cyclades in Greece is very beautiful, the summer winds can scare the "bejeasus" out of people, the charter business is full of frightened charters "unable" to get the boat back to the base. If you have a good crew and dont mind the odd blow, then its not a problem.

Its a spolit for choice problem , really

Dave
Old 30-03-2011, 04:07   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

One bit of advice from years of chartering -- one week is not enough to really get into any kind of cruising groove. You usually arrive on a Saturday, and your boat is usually not available before noon (the previous charterers will have left only that morning and the boat has to be cleaned and checked). So Saturday is not much of a sailing day. Sunday through Thursday are real sailing days -- that's just five days. Then Friday you need to get back to where you rented the boat from.

It's just not enough to really get into the groove, really explore over any kind of distances. I really recommend two weeks, or at least, 10 days (a few charter operators offer 10 days).

Like Dave I highly recommend Turkey -- lovely country, friendly, cheap yet civilized, clean, excellent marinas and services, excellent food, and spectacular cruising grounds, excellent things to do on land too. Greece and Croatia are also wonderful, but Turkey would be at the top of my list of the three of them for a week or two of chartering.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 04:47   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For some reason - known to him - OP was asking for advice regarding Italy, Greece and Croatia. I agree that Turkey is interesting destination, but it was out of question...
From the three given countries - for a first in the area, one week charter I think the Greek Ionian Islands and southern Dodecanese Islands are most attractive option. As tp avoiding the peak of high season - it is true for every popular charter destination. Just remember - the peak in the Ionian is longer and even more packed up than on Dodecanese.
Regarding weather - Ioniand has somewhat milder weather pattern than Dodecanese, but on the south of Dodecanese You are sheltered for most of the time.
And... the worst weather I ever met in Greece was a thunderstorm in Ionian It displaced the pontoons in Levkas Marina...
A little scary experience, but extremely rare, I must admit.
Old 30-03-2011, 05:27   #30

I have impression that you find pricing as number one condition when judging about the destination.
pjosip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, Greece, Italy, vacation