Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 08:59   #1

Charter Agreement

I am planning to charter a boat in Greece and one paragraph in "Charter agreement" attracted my attention:

Itinerary:

To plan and to carry out the yacht’s itinerary in such a manner as to reach the port of call farthest away from the point at which the yacht must be returned

to the owner (Turn-Around Point) within the first one third (1/3) of the charter period and that two days prior to the termination of the charter the yacht’s port

of call shall lie at a distance not greater than forty (40) N.M. from the point at which the yacht is to be returned to the owner.

I understand what they are trying to achieve (insure that you don't go too far that you will be late to return), but it will inconvenience us a great deal since we are planning to spend a few days in the marina of origin (to do some sightseeing) and it will leave us almost no time to reach "Turn-Around-Point".
Is that a fair common clause in charter contract or something rather unusual?
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 10:53   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Charter agreement

Alex, I would suggest giving the charter company your planned agenda and asking them specifically to approve it. They might simply say yes.

Every company will have terms or limits, it sounds like this one is designed for their own locale and conditions.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Alex, I would suggest giving the charter company your planned agenda and asking them specifically to approve it. They might simply say yes.

Every company will have terms or limits, it sounds like this one is designed for their own locale and conditions.
I was trying to talk to the broker who is sending me all those documents to no avail. At this point I don't know which charter company it is, so it seems to be a problem.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:11   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
and it will leave us almost no time to reach "Turn-Around-Point".
why try and sail that far in a couple of days, "relax be happy". If you want to full out sailing dont sightsee.

cake and eating it.

dave
Old 15-02-2013, 12:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a 40 mile upwind sail in a f9 meltemi can be interesting.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a 40 mile upwind sail in a f9 meltemi can be interesting.......
In this case it will be 40 miles of motoring But from what I understand chances of F9 meltemi in late September in Saronic Gulf are pretty small.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
why try and sail that far in a couple of days, "relax be happy". If you want to full out sailing dont sightsee.

cake and eating it.

dave
That is exactly what I was trying to do: slow meandering through islands. But the requirement that "most remote point of your travel has to be reached on day 5" makes it difficult.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:43   #8
Nearly an old salt

The stipulations are there to ensure that you are reasonably close when the time to return the boat draws near. Its not unreasonable, anyone in the charter business can relate the times that boats had to be retrieved because charters cant get them back in time .

i dont see the issue, I doubt if they can enforce it anyway, if you go a little further. But its sensible advice.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
In this case it will be 40 miles of motoring But from what I understand chances of F9 meltemi in late September in Saronic Gulf are pretty small.
maybe post your itinery and distances,quite a few of us have sailed the area,i've only done it twice through the corinth ,lavrion and pireaus,saronica is generaly sheltered waters but is still bumpy in a strong nw.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
maybe post your itinery and distances,quite a few of us have sailed the area,i've only done it twice through the corinth ,lavrion and pireaus,saronica is generaly sheltered waters but is still bumpy in a strong nw.
I was planning to do it closer to the travel time, since I need to do a lot of research in this area. The trip is still 7 months away....
But basically I want to go from Athens down to Saronic islands: Aegina, Poros , Hydra, Spetses...maybe as far as Napflio...nothing really crazy, within easy reach of Athens. So if somebody can mention special places in this area not to be missed I will be grateful.
Old 15-02-2013, 13:03   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I was planning to do it closer to the travel time, since I need to do a lot of research in this area. The trip is still 7 months away....
But basically I want to go from Athens down to Saronic islands: Aegina, Poros , Hydra, Spetses...maybe as far as Napflio...nothing really crazy, within easy reach of Athens. So if somebody can mention special places in this area not to be missed I will be grateful.
I wouldnt see Aegina etc being a problem either way. why do you think the agreement would limit you in reality.

Dave
Old 15-02-2013, 13:09   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Their terms may reflect previous charters where folks weren't aware of seasonal winds, etc. that can make a return trip much longer than a trip out. But, if the broker is not communicating, not answering questions, that's a problem in itself. If they communicate--they would be able to explain the policy and probably make you happy.

I generally figure that if someone can't communicate, I can solve that problem by switching to somebody else. And avoid other problems, like someone who doesn't respond when you say "How come my deposit hasn't been returned yet?"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Their terms may reflect previous charters where folks weren't aware of seasonal winds, etc. that can make a return trip much longer than a trip out. But, if the broker is not communicating, not answering questions, that's a problem in itself. If they communicate--they would be able to explain the policy and probably make you happy.

I generally figure that if someone can't communicate, I can solve that problem by switching to somebody else. And avoid other problems, like someone who doesn't respond when you say "How come my deposit hasn't been returned yet?"
Well, they do communicate and were pretty helpful all along . But in that given instance the answer was: "it is a legal document and we can not change it".
Old 15-02-2013, 13:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wouldnt see Aegina etc being a problem either way. why do you think the agreement would limit you in reality.

Dave
Because we originally planned to stay in Athens for 2-3 days, so "5th day of charter" in reality will be "2nd day of sailing". I guess we can leave right away and spend time in Athens in the end of the trip , but it would mean sailing jetlaged, which is probably not ideal.
Old 15-02-2013, 13:21   #15
Nearly an old salt

I suggest that you are trying to do too much and in my experience sight seeing in Athens is not for the faint hearted. Ive always hit pireaus as fast as possible and get out of dodge.

Wheres the charter base is it Lavrio. why not stay there one night and then get get going , jet lag is for wimps.

on a 5 day charter pick two of three islands and thats about it. chill out, enjoy the ambiance etc. Rushing about just elevates you blood pressure.

Dave

Tags
charter