Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 14:35   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suggest that you are trying to do too much and in my experience sight seeing in Athens is not for the faint hearted. Ive always hit pireaus as fast as possible and get out of dodge.

on a 5 day charter pick two of three islands and thats about it. chill out, enjoy the ambiance etc. Rushing about just elevates you blood pressure.


Dave
I guess I did not make myself clear: we are taking 2 weeks charter (Sat night), planning to spend 2-3 days in Athens (leave Athens Tuesday/Wed morning) it should leave us with 10-11 days of sailing. It should be reasonable time to see all the places I have mentioned. But the problems is that "Charter contract will require us to be at the most remote point of our travel by Thursday (1/3 of the charter time).
I am afraid that sightseeing in Athens is not negotiable: if we won't do it I never will be alloyed to travel again by my SO
__________________

__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:36   #17
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Charter Agreement

Quote:
"Charter contract will require us to be at the most remote point of our travel by Thursday (1/3 of the charter time).
Surely not, dont they mean the next week.
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:41   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Surely not, dont they mean the next week.
Well, it says "to reach the port of call farthest away from the point at which the yacht must be returned



to the owner (Turn-Around Point) within the first one third (1/3) of the charter period"

So if charter starts on Sat (or sunday morning) 5th day will be Thursday. Then we got another 8 days to get back to port

At least it is how I see it, unfortunetely
__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:44   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I guess I did not make myself clear: we are taking 2 weeks charter (Sat night), planning to spend 2-3 days in Athens (leave Athens Tuesday/Wed morning) it should leave us with 10-11 days of sailing. It should be reasonable time to see all the places I have mentioned. But the problems is that "Charter contract will require us to be at the most remote point of our travel by Thursday (1/3 of the charter time).
I am afraid that sightseeing in Athens is not negotiable: if we won't do it I never will be alloyed to travel again by my SO
fly into athens early 2-3 days before the charter starts and rent an apartment in town, lots available from euro 80 a night for 7-8 people.
then do your charter
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:46   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: Charter Agreement

"it is a legal document and we can not change it".
I expect that even in Greece, a contract is only a legal document when it is the product of negotiation between parties, and the intent of the law is in fact that it is changed by both as negotiated. What the broker isn't saying, is that they are not a party to the contract, so they do not have the power to change it. However, the other party, the actual charterer, certainly does.
That broker is not doing his work. He's passing on rubber stamps and expecting to get paid for services he's not necessarily rendering. If he had said "We don't ahve the authority to change that, and the charter company chooses not to change that" his answer would have been more honest. If he'd even bothered to call them.

Comes down to "take it or leave it" unless you can find someone to deal with, either directly or another broker.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:47   #21
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Charter Agreement

Quote:
Well, it says "to reach the port of call farthest away from the point at which the yacht must be returned



to the owner (Turn-Around Point) within the first one third (1/3) of the charter period"

So if charter starts on Sat (or sunday morning) 5th day will be Thursday. Then we got another 8 days to get back to port

At least it is how I see it, unfortunately
its greece, relax, your doing too much thinking , allow enough time to get back thats all, If not ring them from the airport!.

If they give out to you , just say you dont understand English.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:54   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
fly into athens early 2-3 days before the charter starts and rent an apartment in town, lots available from euro 80 a night for 7-8 people.
then do your charter
I would do it, but 2 weeks is pretty much all we can do as far as vacation time goes.
__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:59   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"it is a legal document and we can not change it".
I expect that even in Greece, a contract is only a legal document when it is the product of negotiation between parties, and the intent of the law is in fact that it is changed by both as negotiated. What the broker isn't saying, is that they are not a party to the contract, so they do not have the power to change it. However, the other party, the actual charterer, certainly does.
That broker is not doing his work. He's passing on rubber stamps and expecting to get paid for services he's not necessarily rendering. If he had said "We don't ahve the authority to change that, and the charter company chooses not to change that" his answer would have been more honest. If he'd even bothered to call them.

Comes down to "take it or leave it" unless you can find someone to deal with, either directly or another broker.
This is a very good point and I will try to insist that broker will talk to charter company in order to sort things out. As others suggested they are some ways to work around it, but I would rather change the clause if possible.
__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:59   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I would do it, but 2 weeks is pretty much all we can do as far as vacation time goes.
pull a sickey,nobody is indispensible lol
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:11   #25
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Charter Agreement

affter one week of charter my wife is always keen to do one more week, after two weeks she'd like to stay for a month , after we tried that I had to buy a boat, I mean where does it end...

Ive gone off Greece anyway, gets a bit crowded, I like Turkey I must say.
Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:41   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
affter one week of charter my wife is always keen to do one more week, after two weeks she'd like to stay for a month , after we tried that I had to buy a boat, I mean where does it end...

Ive gone off Greece anyway, gets a bit crowded, I like Turkey I must say.
Dave
I really hope it will turn out like that
We shall see!
__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 03:56   #27
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 645
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I was planning to do it closer to the travel time, since I need to do a lot of research in this area. The trip is still 7 months away....
But basically I want to go from Athens down to Saronic islands: Aegina, Poros , Hydra, Spetses...maybe as far as Napflio...nothing really crazy, within easy reach of Athens. So if somebody can mention special places in this area not to be missed I will be grateful.
Two weeks to get to Nafplion and back to Athens is a bit tight. We have been based in the Saronic Gulf for the last two summers and getting from Epidavros to Nafplion takes us a week of doing 30 odd miles every day, not much sight-seeing involved along the way.

I'd suggest you only go as far as Spetses and then head back. There are plenty of lovely stops along the way.

Epidavros, Aegina, Angistri, Poros, Hydra, Dhokos, Ermioni, Spetses are all lovely places to stop with plenty of good tavernas and great anchorages. If you're planning to go to Hydra or Spetses town make sure you arrive early as they get very busy even out of the main season.

If you want to go to Nafplion I'd suggest you go to Epidavros and then get the bus. You can also visit the Epidavros theatre by bus from here.

Only going as far as Spetses will enable you to be much more relaxed about your sailing. September is a great month to be there, the crowds are starting to thin out and the weather is a little cooler, although there may be the occasional storm.

Have a great time, PM me if you want any more info.
__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 09:43   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Two weeks to get to Nafplion and back to Athens is a bit tight. We have been based in the Saronic Gulf for the last two summers and getting from Epidavros to Nafplion takes us a week of doing 30 odd miles every day, not much sight-seeing involved along the way.

I'd suggest you only go as far as Spetses and then head back. There are plenty of lovely stops along the way.

Epidavros, Aegina, Angistri, Poros, Hydra, Dhokos, Ermioni, Spetses are all lovely places to stop with plenty of good tavernas and great anchorages. If you're planning to go to Hydra or Spetses town make sure you arrive early as they get very busy even out of the main season.

If you want to go to Nafplion I'd suggest you go to Epidavros and then get the bus. You can also visit the Epidavros theatre by bus from here.

Only going as far as Spetses will enable you to be much more relaxed about your sailing. September is a great month to be there, the crowds are starting to thin out and the weather is a little cooler, although there may be the occasional storm.

Have a great time, PM me if you want any more info.
Thank you very much for your advice. I probably overestimated our abilities being unfamiliar with the area. I will PM you for more information, once my planning will get to more advance stages. For now maybe one question: I know that Hydra harbor is very busy, but I heard the is an ancorage in the next bay where you can leave your boat for the day and walk into town. Is it really so?
__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 02:57   #29
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 645
Re: Charter agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Thank you very much for your advice. I probably overestimated our abilities being unfamiliar with the area. I will PM you for more information, once my planning will get to more advance stages. For now maybe one question: I know that Hydra harbor is very busy, but I heard the is an ancorage in the next bay where you can leave your boat for the day and walk into town. Is it really so?
There is an anchorage at Mandraki on Hydra, just to the east of the town. It is open to northerlies though so only good on settled days. It's about a mile to walk into the town or there are water-taxis.
__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 19:26   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Update on Charter contract

Well, I have searched the Net carefully, and it seems that this clause (Point of return reached in 1/3 of the charter period) is indeed a standard one at least in this area of Greece (Saronic Gulf). Every contract form I was able to find on line from charter companies in that region have this clause.
Just want to let people who are planning to charter boat in Greece know that they have to plan accordingly. Not sure how enforceable this clause is in the best case scenario, but it seems to be tided up with the boat insurance. So if you break that clause and something happens with the boat, the boat insurance is void and everything is on your dime. That can be an expensive proposition
__________________

__________________
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Buy or to Wait . . . GorMac Dollars & Cents 13 30-11-2015 10:09
Buying a Boat in Charter Svan Dollars & Cents 26 22-09-2013 11:28
Catamaran Guru/ Stephen Cockcroft / Sailonline / Experiences? Anyone know them? Camp Director G Multihull Sailboats 15 02-08-2012 11:35
Charter Agreement off-the-grid Boat Ownership & Making a Living 3 30-05-2012 12:29
The Dark Side of Owning a Yacht in a Charter Fleet Otia Dollars & Cents 20 28-02-2012 19:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.