Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 20:33   #1

Boat: between boats
Canaries or southern Spain to leave the boat?

Next year we are planning to leave the med for the caribbean but at this stage logistics sadly means we will likely have to leave the boat for 3 months and return home before tackling the crossing in December ie leave the boat end august to return early December.

So the 2 options Im looking at would be leave the boat southern spain or get to the canaries and leave her there till we return.

The spanish option means a bit more time spent there in summer and probably quite a bit cheaper rates but then having to get a weather window in December from Gib.

Getting to the canaries before we go home obviously makes the atlantic crossing an easier start when we return but maybe marinas/yards are a bit less accommodating this time of year? To complicate things the boat is a 42 foot cat so fees are going to be 50% more in many cases.

So what would people recommend? If Canaries would they look for a haul or a berth given there will be a premium on berths in November im thinking? Any yards/marinas they recommend?

I was really looking forward to spending a month or so cruising the islands, kitesurfing surfing etc before the crossing but its not to be (the ridiculous schengen 90 days will be the nail in the coffin by August but its not the only issue)

Thanks
Barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:04   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Canaries or southern Spain to leave the boat?

Make the passage to the Canaries while the weather is good. Leave before October 1 if you can. There are several secure marinas to leave the boat until December. Gran Canaria gets booked up with the ARC crowd, so I left the boat in Puerto Calero, but checked out Rubicon and it looked fine.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:30   #3

Boat: Luffe 45

Bring your boat to Valencia - good marina, shipyard around the corner, all major brands have maintenance centers in this area and not so expensive. Check out the marina real juan carlos. And the Airport is also close to the marina....
marinarealjuancarlosi.com
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 23:56   #4

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
... (the ridiculous schengen 90 days will be the nail in the coffin............
The US, Australia etc. have NO Visa rules...?

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-10-2016, 03:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canaries or southern Spain to leave the boat?

If you are looking for economy take her to Almerimar marina in E Spain.. it has all the facilities you could need and Almeria airport is just 40mins away.
I've paid 19euro/night and 22euro/night for short stays (2 nights) L380 and L440 respectively.. a 3 month deal would be cheaper.
Also your just 1 easy day from Gibraltar..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:23   #6

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

I've had 2 boats in Mallorca: a Hinckley 50 yawl two years and for the past year and a half, a classic schooner. There are several marinas along the Paseo in Palma. I particularly like Club de Mar in Palma. For haul-out and standing on the hard, you can't beat STP. And there are other marinas all around the island; Portals, Porto de Soller, Alcudia, etc. etc. The competition keeps prices low and work quality high. Also there are guardian services which are reliable and, considering the work they do, pretty inexpensive.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:36   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you are looking for economy take her to Almerimar marina in E Spain.. it has all the facilities you could need and Almeria airport is just 40mins away.
I've paid 19euro/night and 22euro/night for short stays (2 nights) L380 and L440 respectively.. a 3 month deal would be cheaper.
I joined a boat at Almerimar. The skipper had left her there for quite some time, and chose that marina for the good prices and lots of services available.

We left Almerimar mid november, and made Gran Canaria in 6 days.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:07   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I'd be thinking of getting the boat down there to leave it, rather than wondering for months if that December weather window would materialise quickly or I'd be stuck for weeks somewhere waiting. Plenty boat stuff going on down there, there'll be somewhere to either get lifted out or a berth.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 15:56   #9

Boat: Hunter 460

Just a few suggestions from someone who is also sailing across the Atlantic next year. Being Australians we are also affected by the dreaded Schengen Agreement.

Have you considered Portugal. Our boat is in a boatyard at Lagos. We can live on it, work on it, plus the yard has plenty of tradesmen. Good bathroom facilities. Great staff. Portimao is also nearby and they have a big yard, tradies, etc but not so close to town. Some Spanish yards will not let you work on your own boat so it's worth checking just in case you were planning on doing so.

Almerimar is popular but I'm not sure if you can live on the boat in their yard - suggest that you check their website.

As for Schengen. If you are concerned about still being considered to be in Europe when leaving Spain or other Schengen country, and while cruising to Canaries, plus time in Canaries total being more than three months, then you might like to consider visiting Morocco eg Restinga Smir (in Med opposite Gibraltar), or Rabat on west coast. Google: mohammedia marina morocco. This way you get to exit Schengen from Spain, sign into and out of another non-EU country, and time cruising to Canaries doesn't count. We used Restinga Smir where there is an immigration person at the marina - very easy. I don't know that if you signed out of Spain and proceeded direct to Canaries that you would be considered to be not on Schengen time. When we signed into the Azores and sailed across to Lisbon in Portugal that all counted as time in Schengen countries. We didn't have a concern as we put the boat in a yard soon after and flew home.

Hope this helps.
Dave
David Pakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 20:40   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Well this is a good thread to join. John, I think we will be joining you next year. 6 years in the Med is enough and I need to wander around a bit. Keep me updated with your plans. Maybe if Boatman is unemployed we can hire him to do gardenage in Portugal. I'm not too concerned about leaving South of Spain or Gibraltar in November for the Canaries, sailing around there for a few weeks, then heading across. Kept this thread posted with your plans.
David
Old 18-10-2016, 03:07   #11

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I am actualy leaving this week to join my friend boat in Sicilia and will be sailing ton Lanzarote in the Canaries were we will leave his boat until the end of december to bring it across.

Idealy I would of leave a month earlier to get to the Canaries, otherwise I feel confortable with my timing.
The Marina is Marina Lanzarote Marina Lanzarote, a new and stylish marina in the Canaries
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 04:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va2shp View Post
I am actualy leaving this week to join my friend boat in Sicilia and will be sailing ton Lanzarote in the Canaries were we will leave his boat until the end of december to bring it across.

Idealy I would of leave a month earlier to get to the Canaries, otherwise I feel confortable with my timing.
The Marina is Marina Lanzarote Marina Lanzarote, a new and stylish marina in the Canaries
The toughest part of your trip will be from Sicily to Cabo de Gato E of Almeria.. after that its easy..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-10-2016, 04:51   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Well this is a good thread to join. John, I think we will be joining you next year. 6 years in the Med is enough and I need to wander around a bit. Keep me updated with your plans. Maybe if Boatman is unemployed we can hire him to do gardenage in Portugal. I'm not too concerned about leaving South of Spain or Gibraltar in November for the Canaries, sailing around there for a few weeks, then heading across. Kept this thread posted with your plans.
David
Hi Palarran.. you have 3 good choices for staying on the hook.. Faro/Olhau lagoon, Portimao and Alvor..
If I'm free I'd be happy to mind your boat/s..

Old 18-10-2016, 05:20   #14

Boat: Catana 472

Cartagena has s beautiful marina, good prices, and safe. They can also watch your boat for you. And fix anything. Better deals than Gib or Cznaries
sail2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 17:55   #15

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks Boatman -Ill check Almerimar to the spanish list of options. The bigger concern for me at this stage is as someone said waiting for a suitable window in early December to cross to canaries if we leave her in Spain...
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, Canaries, Spain