Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 16:19   #31

Wink Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I would advise to ask the rental company if you need any special licence to operate the boat.
Europe is implementing a schema called ICC that applies to sailing in general but originated specifically for inland waters.
It is not as yet compulsory in all European inland waters but is spreading, so better check what's current requirement for the area you intend to cover.
Some general info is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._of_Competence
Thanks, I have arranged to take the ICC online. I have even done the online mock exam. I started with a 98% pass and after going through it again I got the magic 100%. or a small charge the RYA are even going to reissue my VHF radio licence. (Some 20 years out of date).
Filmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 16:21   #32

Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The ICC or International Certificate of Competence applies only to operation of coastal/sea going vessels.
If you want to cruise the Inland Waterways of Europe the following is what is required
The CEVNI Endorsement

CEVNI is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways and is the basis of the various countries’ own regulations. Signs, rules and procdures for navigating the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI code and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic are expected to know and follow the CEVNI code. If you require an ICC endorsed for use on inland waters, you must learn the CEVNI code and sit the CEVNI test. The “RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)” publication G17 provides the information you need to learn the code in a clear and concise way.

The CEVNI test is a short multiple choice paper – a sample paper is available and this can also be found at the back of the book. The training centre will, confirm successful completion of the test by signing the relevant section of the ICC application form – there is no separate certificate. Our own very highly recommended inland and coastal RYA, ICC and CEVNI training centre in the UK is at Bisham Abbey on the River Thames west of London

Thanks, I have arranged to take the ICC online. I have even done the online mock exam. I started with a 98% pass and after going through it again I got magic 100%. or a small charge the RYA are even going to reissue my VHF radio licence. (Some 20 years out of date).
Old 10-03-2018, 03:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The ICC or International Certificate of Competence applies only to operation of coastal/sea going vessels.
If you want to cruise the Inland Waterways of Europe the following is what is required
The CEVNI Endorsement

CEVNI is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways and is the basis of the various countries’ own regulations. Signs, rules and procdures for navigating the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI code and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic are expected to know and follow the CEVNI code. If you require an ICC endorsed for use on inland waters, you must learn the CEVNI code and sit the CEVNI test. The “RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)” publication G17 provides the information you need to learn the code in a clear and concise way.

The CEVNI test is a short multiple choice paper – a sample paper is available and this can also be found at the back of the book. The training centre will, confirm successful completion of the test by signing the relevant section of the ICC application form – there is no separate certificate. Our own very highly recommended inland and coastal RYA, ICC and CEVNI training centre in the UK is at Bisham Abbey on the River Thames west of London

If as you say, "The ICC applies ONLY to operation of coastal/sea going vessels."
But to cruise the Inland Waterways of Europe I need the CEVNI which can ONLY BE OBTAINED AS AN ENDORSEMENT on the ICC? Catch 22 or what?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:00   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmitchell View Post
If as you say, "The ICC applies ONLY to operation of coastal/sea going vessels."
But to cruise the Inland Waterways of Europe I need the CEVNI which can ONLY BE OBTAINED AS AN ENDORSEMENT on the ICC? Catch 22 or what?
Put it down to 'The Brussels Factor'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:48   #35

I have chartered canal boats in England, Wales, and France. I was not required to show license nor competency.

Not saying that it is a good thing.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:21   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
I have chartered canal boats in England, Wales, and France. I was not required to show license nor competency.

Not saying that it is a good thing.
Chartering is one thing.. and the Charter company would take the fall if things went pear shaped and you were involved in a collision or something..
However taking one's own boat through is another matter.. documents would be checked on entry to the countries ports/system..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:24   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
From information provided by the rental companies (and some others on this forum), there is no licensing requirement to operate these boats in France. Other countries have requirements, but Macblaze's comment near the start of the thread suggests that a Canadian PCOC is good enough to fool some of them.

I plan on getting the ICC certification within the next year or so anyway, just because ...
Hey AnglaisInHull. Sounds like a good plan, I would highly recommend to get the ICC certification.

Moreover, there is a new law that gonna be release in France this year about licences. You should have a look on this. If you are interested, I'll see if I can make a short resume of this law.

Oh, and did you find any canal boat yet ? I found two that might interest you
https://www.samboat.com/boat-rental?...sace,%20France

Only two boats, this is kinda poor i'll admit but these boat are fully covered by one the main insurance company in France.

Hope it helps !
aye-aye-captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:32   #38

Boat: Mirage 35

Thanks for the feedback, but this is a resurrection of an old thread so it's historical interest only.

We did the trip - it was great - and I now have the ICC with CEVNI endorsement so am ready for the next one when the occasion arises.

Tags
France