Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 01:01   #46

Re: Buying a boat in Croatia

Thanks for the reply guys.

So my plan is to fly into the split late April this year for 2 weeks. Have a few boats lined up to see and hopefully purchase one. We will then head back to Aus to sort a few things out and arrive back in july to start cruising. We intend to then spend 12months sailing back to Aus where we will sell it again.
Im after advice regarding brokers, lawyers and suryeors.
Also any advice on VAT and leaving the EU and hidden fees.
jcranfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 02:08   #47

Hi,

I did eventually buy a boat in Croatia, but I did see better quality used boats on the whole in Italy, I was looking for Private Owner not ex Charter & VAT Paid, For some reason the Italian Boats where in better condition, I put this down to being owned by German or Austrians and really looked after there boats.

The Croatian broker I used made it all really easy and advised me of some good points during the sale.

Good Luck
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 02:32   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by inet-projects View Post
Hi,

I did eventually buy a boat in Croatia, but I did see better quality used boats on the whole in Italy, I was looking for Private Owner not ex Charter & VAT Paid, For some reason the Italian Boats where in better condition, I put this down to being owned by German or Austrians and really looked after there boats.

The Croatian broker I used made it all really easy and advised me of some good points during the sale.

Good Luck
Who did you use as a broker?
jcranfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:55   #49

Bach Yachting, there office is open fridays off season at Marina Frapa.
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:01   #50

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

Hi Captain Ron.you sound well experienced in buying overseas and the whole VAT thing which I am assuming is like provincial sales tax in Canada. 5-6% of the sale cost? can you give me some insigh into regestering your boat back un the USA and the process and what all you need. So from what I understand you can bounce around the MED Croatia, and other close countrys usually getting a 3 month or 180 VISA??
Is that correct somewhat, and from what my friend that has a charter business with his brother say its pretty relaxed on getting fined for a overstayor what have you. could you explain or tell me if I kinda got it. I doffinatly dont know how to register a boat in Canada or the USA as I am a dual citizen, what is all required, will you have to pay tax on it there? the way I understand things is sales tax is only paid once when its bran new, its complete robbery to tax the same item over and over.
thanks for your help. I appologize in advance for any grammer I didnt take time to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAINRONBVI View Post
ROBBINS FAMILY

I AM AN EX-PAT AMERICAN AND HAVE BEEN LIVING ABOARD A 2005 BENETEAU 50 PURCHASED FROM ULTRA SAILING CHARTERS, SPLIT CROATIA NEGOTIATED FEB 2014 - FINALIZED JULY 2014.

THE ORIGINAL DEAL WAS PRETTY GOOD. HOWEVER, BEFORE I WARN YOU NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM OR PURCHASE ANY YACHT EITHER NEW, USED OR FROM THEIR CHARTER FLEET, THERE ARE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW. THAT INCLUDES THOSE SAME YACHTS REPRESENTED BY OTHER BROKERS.

ULTRA SAILING WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO PREVENT A BUYER (AND HIS SURVEYOR) FROM FINDING ALL THINGS WRONG WITH THE VESSEL. THIS I CAN ATTEST TO FROM 1st HAND KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE. THEY WILL ALSO LIE ABOUT CERTAIN REPAIR ISSUES. AND IN MY CASE THEY REMOVED EQUIPMENT, REINSTALLED OR EXCHANGED EQUIPMENT FOR NON-WORKING OR DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT AND A LOT MORE THINGS.

OTHER BROKERS AND CHARTER COMPANIES THERE ARE A BIT MORE HONEST - BACH, ALLIMISANI, EURO-MARINE, ORCA, SALONA AND SO ON.

ENOUGH SAID ON THAT ISSUE OF THE BUYING PROCESS.

I AM CURRENTLY IN MARINA BAR, MONTENEGRO. YESTERDAY I WENT TO CHECK ON THE CUSTOMS AND IMMIGRATION RULES IN RESPONSE TO OTHER POSTS AND INQUIRIES REGARDING CREW ENTERING THE COUNTRY WITH A ONE WAY AIR TICKET WITH EXPECTATIONS OF LEAVING VIA SAILING YACHT.

HERE IS THE ANSWER:

ALL COUNTRIES IN EUROPE, INCLUDING CROATIA AND MONTENEGRO ARE SHENGEN! ALBANIA IS THE ONLY EXCEPTION.

MY VESSEL IS REGISTERED IN THE U S STATE OF DELAWARE AND FLYING A U S FLAG. UNDER EUROPEAN REGULATIONS THE VAT HAS NEVER BEEN PAID ON THIS VESSEL. AFTER THE SAIL WAS CONSUMMATED VESSEL REGISTERED, I TOOK AN OVERNIGHT CRUISE 12 KM OFFSHORE FROM SPLIT AND RETURNED TO THE ISLAND VIS, CROATIA THE NEXT DAY.

THAT QUALIFIED UNDER LAW, AS LEAVING THE EU TERRITORY AND THEREFORE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY VAT.

I HAVE MET OTHER SAILORS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES THAT HAVE REGISTERED THEIR VESSELS IN DELAWARE, U S A.

THERE IS A COMPANY IN SPLIT THAT HANDLED ALL THE PAPER WORK FOR ME INCLUDING THE DELAWARE REGISTRATION. YOUR CROATIAN YACHT BROKER CAN ASSIST YOU WITH THAT.

IGOR TADEJEVIC ASSISTED ME PERSONALLY WITH ALL THE CUSTOMS AND IMMIGRATION, COAST GUARD REQUIREMENTS AND VIGNETTE. YOU MUST HAVE A CAPTAIN'S LICENSE TO SAIL YOUR OWN YACHT IN CROATIA AND A FEW OTHER E U COUNTRIES.

DESPITE ALL COUNTRIES BEING SHENGEN, SOME OF THEM ARE A BIT MORE RELAXED ABOUT THE REGS. IN PESCARA, ITALY (DIRECTLY WEST FROM SPLIT), WITHOUT EVEN ASKING, THEY OFFERED ME A ONE YEAR VISA. IN SPLIT I NEEDED BANKS STATEMENTS POLICE REPORT (I THINK) PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE AND A COUPLE OF OTHER THINGS. DESPITE NOT HAVING ALL THAT, I WAS ALLOWED TO STAY IN CROATIA FOR 6 UNINTERRUPTED MONTHS. THERE WERE MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES BUT AS I SAID, MOST COUNTRY OFFICIALS ARE VERY COOPERATIVE.

I CANNOT GUARANTEE EVERYONE WILL HAVE AS NICE AN EXPERIENCE AS I HAVE BEEN HAVING BUT I AM NOT HERE IN EUROPE FOR 2 UNINTERRUPTED YEARS AND NO ONE HAS CHASED ME OUT. BE NICE, PLEASANT AND UNASSUMING AND SEE WHAT PEOPLE WILL DO FOR YOU.

HONESTLY SPEAKING, I DO NOT THINK ANYONE HAS BEEN SITTING UPON MY ARRIVAL AND COUNTING THE DAYS I HAVE BEEN IN EACH COUNTRY. THEY ALL WANT TOURIST BUSINESS.

WE'LL SEE WHAT GREECE DOES WHEN I DECIDE I WANT TO STAY MORE THAN 90 CONSECUTIVE DAYS.

THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE IS:

"DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY!"

CIAO

CAPTAIN RON
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06   #51

Sorry I know I am new but VAT is 22% sale price!!! if so there oesthe deals you find by a husband who finds out his wife hate sailing and wants to sell asap.
And you have to pay this VAT on anything for sale or what, any help I would appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fission View Post
Hi all, i have been through as much of the forum as possible and can't seem to find information on my situation regarding VAT and the EU. I am a(nother) kiwi who has come to the Med to find a boat to sail home in. My question is: There are many boats advertised that say VAT NOT PAID, the brokers say to me that the VAT is due at the point of sale so an additional 22%, If i plan on deflagging the boat immediately and will be registering it straight away in NZ, Is VAT still due or is there a route to avoid paying it??

Any information appreciated, Im in Italy now and will likely find what im after pretty soon, not having to pay VAT on a boat drastically changes its price.

dreamrun at outlook.com for anyone who is doing something similar and wants to share information

Jules

"Those who say that money can't buy happiness are clearly spending it on the wrong things"
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10   #52

I have a good friend in Croatia, actually his dad teachs a big mariene abot school there, but I could always try to conotact him and since his brother and maybe him own a charter company they know the business and migh be able to help, but as that other guy said trust no one with used boats no matter who it is.

eld;2585547]Thanks for the reply guys.

So my plan is to fly into the split late April this year for 2 weeks. Have a few boats lined up to see and hopefully purchase one. We will then head back to Aus to sort a few things out and arrive back in july to start cruising. We intend to then spend 12months sailing back to Aus where we will sell it again.
Im after advice regarding brokers, lawyers and suryeors.
Also any advice on VAT and leaving the EU and hidden fees.[/QUOTE]
Old 13-03-2018, 04:27   #53

Boat: no boat any more

@Schengen: facts & "believes", Capt. Ron, might differ...
https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/countries-schengen-area
Old 29-04-2018, 10:03   #54

Boat: Lagoon 450

Beware that the cost of having a foreign registered boat in Croatia has rocketed in 2018.
My 15m boat will cost 7,700Kn/year £910.
Nicklaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 11:46   #55

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaing View Post
Beware that the cost of having a foreign registered boat in Croatia has rocketed in 2018.
My 15m boat will cost 7,700Kn/year £910.
Sorry if I'm a bit slow or not following. Does Croatia charge foreign flagged vessels to sail in their waters?
Old 30-04-2018, 13:05   #56

Boat: Lagoon 450

Yes. Croatia have always insisted you purchase a cruising licence. This can be by the week, month etc. for as long as the boat is in Croatian waters. However for 2018 some clever bureaucrat has decided it will be a quick way to raise money and have increased the fee roughly 4 times. As such my fee for a 15m boat will go from roughly £200 to £900 for a year.

It’s a shame, we have been there 6 years, but maybe it is time to move on.
Nicklaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 00:04   #57

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

When I bought my Jeanneau 49 DS in Split 4 yrs ago, we were not asked to get any cruising permits and because I registered it in USA, pd no fees to Croatia.
Gov officials were very helpful in facilitating the transaction. Hiring workers was a pleasure as their work ethics and skills were A+.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 00:17   #58

I am very confused, am US citizen, like the Croatian prices but don't want to pay big taxes. Would like to buy from Croatia then register in the U.S. Does that mean I have to import the boat and then pay import duty? How does it affect cruising in the med, which is part of the point in buying in the med and then eventually heading across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, then to the U.S.....
esperando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:48   #59

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperando View Post
I am very confused, am US citizen, like the Croatian prices but don't want to pay big taxes. Would like to buy from Croatia then register in the U.S. Does that mean I have to import the boat and then pay import duty? How does it affect cruising in the med, which is part of the point in buying in the med and then eventually heading across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, then to the U.S.....
Hi,

I would suggest to establish or to buy a ready made shelf Ltd company in any EU country. You will be owner of the company as a physical person. Then register this company for VAT. In a such a case VAT doesn't apply for your companie's purchase. You may use EUcountry flag as long you need it before leave the boat home. It will cost you some little money for administrative expenditures with company but on the other hand you save a lot and the boat may stay in EU as long as you need without obligation to leave EU after a certain time.
MartinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 22:35   #60

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Does not sound that hard or complicated, but without someone setting out the general principles, I would not know where to begin, so thanks for that.
esperando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Croatia