Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2019, 16:21   #76

Re: Buying a boat in Croatia

[QUOTE=OZ-Sailor;2952120]Hi bellasailor. Yes I ended up buying a Bavaria 40 in Croatia, directly from a Charter company - Dream Yacht charters Who I would highly recommend. It cost me AU$67,000 and I am very happy with her.

Congratulation on your new (to you ) boat! This is pretty good price for 40 footer. That`s about 50K US$? Just for the future reference: was there a lot of negociations involved to get this price? Good luck with your sailing in Med
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 17:14   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
Hi,

I would suggest to establish or to buy a ready made shelf Ltd company in any EU country. You will be owner of the company as a physical person. Then register this company for VAT. In a such a case VAT doesn't apply for your companie's purchase. You may use EUcountry flag as long you need it before leave the boat home. It will cost you some little money for administrative expenditures with company but on the other hand you save a lot and the boat may stay in EU as long as you need without obligation to leave EU after a certain time.
Anyone know if this is actually true? Any references to support it? I don't understand why everyone in the EU wouldn't do this for every large purchase they made if it was as easy as that. My (very limited) understanding of the VAT exemptions for business purchases of vehicles is that it only covers vehicles that are only used for business. That's not something a cruiser with a shelf Corp could credibly claim in tax court.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 05:49   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Anyone know if this is actually true? Any references to support it? I don't understand why everyone in the EU wouldn't do this for every large purchase they made if it was as easy as that. My (very limited) understanding of the VAT exemptions for business purchases of vehicles is that it only covers vehicles that are only used for business. That's not something a cruiser with a shelf Corp could credibly claim in tax court.

I've heard it used to work but as you say, it is for business assets. Where a boat is in charter it can work, but authorities are getting wise to it and will potentially expect it to be chartered back to the owner at the going rate (not as a freebie) if it's purportedly part of said business. Risky strategy, not sure it can work for full time cruisers and for leisure owners still a bit on the fiddle unless it's truly chartered for much of the time...
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 04:13   #79

There is always a bit of negotiation (wink)

I didn’t want to screw too hard cos they would simply scrimp on the repair works. They also gave me free live aboard berthing once I arrived until the registration transferred so was very happy
OZ-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 06:09   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-Sailor View Post
There is always a bit of negotiation (wink)

I didn’t want to screw too hard cos they would simply scrimp on the repair works. They also gave me free live aboard berthing once I arrived until the registration transferred so was very happy
Thank you! I always thought prices set up by charter companies are "take it or leave it" type. Glad to hear there are some wiggle room, but I see you point regarding repairs
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:31   #81

What would be an International version of a "Captains Licence"? An ICC
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...s-the-icc.aspx

?
Freedom Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 17:04   #82

which broker did you use..?.. Thanks..
Old 20-08-2019, 17:19   #83

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Family View Post
What would be an International version of a "Captains Licence"? An ICC
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...s-the-icc.aspx

?
Depends on what you mean by "Captain's Licence"

The ICC is the International Certificate of Competence. As the name suggests it is an internationally recognised certificate that the holder has an acceptable level of knowledge of the basic "rules" of sailing and a reasonable practical level of experience. It's not fool proof but the holder should at least know their Port from Starboard and the basics of the Collision Regulations.

The RYA Day Skipper automatically gives you the ICC but you have to apply for it. Coastal and Yachtmaster are the same but again you must apply for the ICC. Other national sailing association qualifications may also qualify for the ICC but again would have to be applied for.

An IMO Captain or Master Licence would be considered more than the ICC and if you hold these and presented them as proof of competency then Harbour Police/Coastguards around the world would recognise them. The Croatian Kapitanija certainly would, they also understand the RYA certificates although my wife and I both have the ICC as well as our Coastal and Day Skipper respectively.

Hope that clarifies it a bit more for you.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:12   #84

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-Sailor View Post
i've been hard at trying to secure a boat before landing there in April - getting a surveyor to do inspections for me to then make an offer, get it surveyed and purchased so I can take ownership before I arrive, as it can take many weeks to go through all of this apparently. One word of advice is to stay clear of Selymar Yachts - they refused to send boat documents for one boat or to allow my surveyor to even look at it!! Have had success with Marin from Almissani... having boats looked at this week.... will keep you posted

I agree with OZ-Sailor, we purchased our catamaran in december from Selymar and had to pay deposit before a surveyor could go and look at the boat, when the surveyor said it was not sea worth they refuse to refund the money and instead promised to fix everything but that never happened and i had to to pay for it all myself with zero help from Selymar! the surveyor was also somehow involved with the bank and was not very thorough. we spent 2 months fixing everything and only had 1 month to sail be for we had to exit EU. still finding issues to fix!
Sailing Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:05   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Knight View Post
I agree with OZ-Sailor, we purchased our catamaran in december from Selymar and had to pay deposit before a surveyor could go and look at the boat, when the surveyor said it was not sea worth they refuse to refund the money and instead promised to fix everything but that never happened and i had to to pay for it all myself with zero help from Selymar! the surveyor was also somehow involved with the bank and was not very thorough. we spent 2 months fixing everything and only had 1 month to sail be for we had to exit EU. still finding issues to fix!
Deposit pre-survey is standard, but "not seaworthy" should be material enough to mean deposit returned!

We're seeing a boat tomorrow listed with them but have managed to find and contact the owner direct instead.

Re surveyor, when you say involved with the bank what do you mean? Was it a Croatian surveyor? We have 2 preferred surveyors lined up for when we find a boat, one told us he won't work with any sale via Selymar!
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33   #86

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 400

It was a complicated purchase as during the purchase the bank repossessed the boat from Fontunel and we then had to purchase from the bank. the bank refused to do any repairs on the boat as we were buying it "as is" but Selymar got the owner from Fortunel to sign an agreement to fix everything and had it certified. that still did not help get any work done. the Boat was at MCI marine in Split and was on dry land when we arrived to take the boat as all the work was supposed to be completed but nothing was done and we then had to start to do everything as selymar could not get the work done or could not force the work to be done ......? so there we were sitting in a guest house for 2 weeks before moving on to the boat and having to get rescued by MCI marine to get the boat in the water. we got no help from selymar or the bank as every one got their money but i did not get what i paid for!

the surveyor was working for the bank i found out after all the repairs as the bank was trying to sell it someone else at a much cheaper price! (friend)
it was a Croatian surveyor that was court appointed as he said but did not help at all. he did not even clime the rigging! he was a Dr if that helps

Getting the deposit out of them was very hard all the way from South Africa and with no success so without loosing my money i had to go threw the process.

You have to be there!!!!! MCI helped us a lot!!
Sailing Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:29   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Knight View Post

the surveyor was working for the bank i found out after all the repairs as the bank was trying to sell it someone else at a much cheaper price! (friend)
it was a Croatian surveyor that was court appointed as he said but did not help at all. he did not even clime the rigging! he was a Dr if that helps
Thank you. I think I know who. We have him on our list but had a better feeling about another one based on our correspondence. We also have a UK surveyor who is willing to fly out but is very anti-ex charter boats and I'm not sure I want to appoint someone that inherently thinks they're crap and thinks we are idiots to look at one!

To be fair, we have enquired with many surveyors and they all said they only do rigging from deck level and we would have to bring in a separate rigging surveyor for that
Old 24-01-2020, 01:44   #88

I just wanted to add my 2c to this thread. I have just completed the purchase of a yacht in Croatia that was listed by Selymar. Despite the many people with negative comments the boat was really nice and the seller also very good. Selymar was very good from the beginning, i dealt with Ivana initially whom was very thorough and polite with excellent written english (better than mine anyway!!) I then dealt with Sofia (owner) and briefly with Mark. Everyone was outstanding, they made the process simple and clear as it was my first time buying a boat. I usually don't do these things but in my personal experience Selymar has been great. If you want to chat directly i'd be happy to. just contact me and we can exchange other contact details so we can have a chat.
Michele77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 09:47   #89

Thanks for this, glad it all went well for you.. we have also just about completed a purchase with YD Yachts in Greece which has turned out to be a really nice experience also.
Old 01-09-2020, 18:43   #90

Boat: Bavaria 44

Hello guys, very nice information in this topic.

Could anyone advice on the paperwork and authorizations needed to buy a sailboat in Croatia? I won't be able to attend personally.

We are a family from Chile. We already have a shortlist of three boats that are being surveyed by Mr. Srecko Favro, who is very professional and made all the coordinations possible.

As soon as we decide on one of the boats, should we appoint a buyer's broker for the paperwork or just keep the seller's? We will need someone to sail her to Montenegro and back for the temporary admission to the EU as well, have anyone experience something similar and could suggest a person to do that?

Thank you!!
Rehtor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Croatia