Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 09:53   #1

boat recommendation?

Hi all, I've been browsing the site for a few weeks now as I research our trip to Greece this summer. There's a ton of great advice to be found, so thank you for that! I've reached the point of getting quotes from charter companies, and would appreciate any advice. The below options are what we've narrowed it down to - similarly priced, etc.

Egiali Yachting http://www.egiali-yachting.gr/
- Sun Odyssey 43
- Oceanis 43

SailGreece http://www.sailgreeceyachts.com/
- Bavaria 47

Is there any reason to prefer one of these boats over the others? The Bavaria has 4 double beds and a bow thruster, but is probably a little older; the Oceanis and Sun Odyssey claim to have new sails. We're still deciding on Cyclades or Saronic - boats are out of Athens/Lavrion.

Just so you know, there are four of us going (friends, so 4 separate cabins necessary) and all of us have good sailing experience, one with certifications.
dagaetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: boat recommendation?

Hello
I alway prefere Beneteaus or Jeanneaus over Bavarias - if we are talking about the boats of the same size. But they are not.
For Saronic I would opt for Jeanneau or Beneteau (between them - depends on Your preference: Jeanneaus are generally a little better sailers, Beneteaus a little more roomy boats). The distances there are short and harbours small. You would rather need a handy boat in crowded places, than a passagemaker.

For Cyclades I would rather go for Bavaria - distances are greater, and longer waterlina pay there. 47 is not bad sailer, but You need to remeber that they are more cheaply built than French boats, so You may experience some more small inconveniences (like the locker's doors opening themselves on wave and so on). But really - it depend on the owner, how well the boat is maintained. Generally - You are getting what You are paying for, and with most of the charter companies You are not paying for much - in most cases not for good upkeep. When I was chartering in Greece (for about ten years, by average six - seven weeks a year) before buying own boat, I came to conclusion that the best way is to charter the most expensive boats I can afford (after bargaining like old Turk on the market)

I do not know when You want to come - if You will decide for Cyclades in Meltemi season, may be You will look browse again to look for Ocean Star.
They are the sturdiest boats there for charter - it was the reason, why I bought one, but of course, now You can rightly tell that I'm biased a little
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:06   #3

Thanks for the response! Our trip is the first week of July, so right at the beginning of Meltemi season. I have no problem with sailing in heavy wind conditions, it's more the possibility of getting stuck that concerns me if we sail in the Cyclades.

We actually did get one quote for an Ocean Star, but it was nearly double the other prices.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
Thanks for the response! Our trip is the first week of July, so right at the beginning of Meltemi season. I have no problem with sailing in heavy wind conditions, it's more the possibility of getting stuck that concerns me if we sail in the Cyclades.

We actually did get one quote for an Ocean Star, but it was nearly double the other prices.
Nothing strange about a price - O.S. price ex-yard is more than a double price of Bavaria of the same size. And it is worth it

It is very low probability of getting stuck in the first week of July, but of course You need to count for this. If You want to go for Cyclades I would advise either to charter from on of Cyclades islands or to arrange for one - way charter. The plane and ferry domestic service in Greece is reliable, so charter from the island is quite convenient.
The best probably would be to charter from Santorini (Thira), as You can start from there to the north east or north west, and come back to Your base with prevailing wind. Paros is the second good choice with interesting itineraries possible. Athens - in the matter of fact - is the worst possible place to start a Cyclades charter.
Old 23-03-2011, 14:49   #5

Boat: Bavaria 37

Hello,
I did'nt know it was possible to charter from Santorini (Thira)... Are you sure about that ?
(the entrance to the """marina""" - non finished for years - is quite difficult and can be sillted...
I had a Beneteau (8 years), I have a Bavaria (10 years) and i am French...... and it is difficult to say one is better than the other one... For chartering, I think the comparison depends a lot of the maintenance and the equipment ... So I agree - through the experiences of a lot people I met in the Cyclades on chartered boats - with the idea "the cheapest = the worst"...
In 1978, i Chartered a Jeanneau in Lavrio and we did not leave the port for a week (begining of July and 8 to 10 Beaufort each day) ... The fact is not only your capacity in bad weather but the authorization from the port authorities to get out !!!
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:17   #6

Thanks for the help guys. We're looking strongly at the Oceanis 43, seems like a good choice.

Slightly off-topic: what should we be expecting temperature wise when we're there? Would we regret not going with a bigger boat that has air conditioning, at least when sleeping at night?
Old 24-03-2011, 02:22   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
Hello,
I did'nt know it was possible to charter from Santorini (Thira)... Are you sure about that ?
(the entrance to the """marina""" - non finished for years - is quite difficult and can be sillted...)
For chartering from Santorini (Thira) I'm completely sure. My friend is running a small M.C.P.Y. (it is the charter company actually owning the boats and not allowed to act as agent) and he very often charters his boats from there. I know also that it can be arranged with other companies (operators or agents) as I often met boats changing their charter crew there. Of course - so called "marina" there is not the best harbour, but I'm visiting it from time to time because of its convenient placement. When You are chartering out from there You will be advised about entrance (the silt is moving from side to side with a time, changes in the wind and so on). Coming into - I have a forward looking sonar on boat, but in other case best to check in dinghy first, or use the VHF, call the boats inside and ask for info
Old 24-03-2011, 02:42   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
Santorini (Thira)... the entrance to the """marina""" - non finished for years - is quite difficult and can be sillted...
Please remember - as long You are following detailed instructions given in Heikell's Greek Waters Pilot, there is not a problem until the entrance. Only moving silt in the entrance proper can be a problem and should be checked for. I never had a problem there - executing all the necessary caution - and my boat is drawing 2,5 m fully loaded.

Best regards

Tomasz
Old 24-03-2011, 02:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
Thanks for the help guys. We're looking strongly at the Oceanis 43, seems like a good choice.

Slightly off-topic: what should we be expecting temperature wise when we're there? Would we regret not going with a bigger boat that has air conditioning, at least when sleeping at night?
You can regret this - but not always
Last year was not so hot in the beginning of July, but it really can be HOT