Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-04-2016, 09:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Best location in eastern Med to sell a catamaran

We are going to sail through the summer and then will most likely be selling our catamaran. We are currently in the Aegean and was wondering where is the best location to list and sell a boat. It is American owned and flagged (fully aware of Schengen issues for us so please leave that for another thread). I assume it should be somewhere that is easy to get into and out of for prospective buyers. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Re: Best location in eastern Med to sell a catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
We are going to sail through the summer and then will most likely be selling our catamaran. We are currently in the Aegean and was wondering where is the best location to list and sell a boat. It is American owned and flagged (fully aware of Schengen issues for us so please leave that for another thread). I assume it should be somewhere that is easy to get into and out of for prospective buyers. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Spots with direct flights from Europe (eg Kos and Rhodes) are easier for buyers to access than islands like Leros that only have flights to Athens.

Good luck with the sale.

SWL

Old 11-04-2016, 10:15   #3

I'd take a hard look at Lefkas Greece. There are British brokers there and British surveyors as well as a large marina and excellent working trades. They sell a lot of boats there and it's a comfortable place to do business. I would never buy a boat in Turkey (even though I love the country) because I don't trust their laws and don't have the same confidence in their business practices. I do trust the British and their business practices. I'm sure there are other fine areas to sell your boat in the Med but give Lefkas a good look.
Old 11-04-2016, 16:42   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Zoid,
Are you going to list it yourself? If your going to use a broker then that may well decide where you place the boat. Robert Sailor has some good points about Lefkas but Corfu also has a large marina, brokers, and more direct flights.

I wouldn't worry about the laws of Turkey in selling because if it's US flagged I don't think the Turkish Government will have anything to do with the sale. Maybe PM Yeloya. He doesn't broker boats but is totally on top of the market in that whole area and a catamaran expert to boot. Good Luck, say hello if you see me this summer.
David.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 23:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'd take a hard look at Lefkas Greece. There are British brokers there and British surveyors as well as a large marina and excellent working trades. They sell a lot of boats there and it's a comfortable place to do business. I would never buy a boat in Turkey (even though I love the country) because I don't trust their laws and don't have the same confidence in their business practices. I do trust the British and their business practices. I'm sure there are other fine areas to sell your boat in the Med but give Lefkas a good look.
As David said, selling boat in Turkey has nothing to do with turkish legislation as long as the boat is not turkish flagged. On the other hand, I sold my turkish flagged and commercial registered boat to a foreigner w/out any issues. For the rest, if this is an issue, there are british surveyors and brokers as well here.
The only problem I see are the marina prices which are usually higher than most marinas in Greece..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 12-04-2016, 01:03   #6

Boat: Moody 44

I'd second Lefkas (or Gouvia). The Eastern Med Islands aren't as easy to get to as Preveza/Lefkas or Corfu. From a buyers prospective there are more boats to browse in Preveza/Lefkas.

Having said that, I actually bought my current boat in Leros and sailed my previous one from Leros to Lefkas to sell her.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37   #7

Great feedback! Couple of followup questions: Lefkas and Corfu make sense, however travel to both tends to be very seasonal. If I'm not mistaken flights to Lefkas and Corfu are limited to high season, correct? That leads me to my next question which is timing. We are going to sail this season and ideally would sell the boat at the end of the season (this fall). Is that a good time to sell in this part of the world?

Also Greece has had this misconception about foreign boat in the EU requiring non EU boats to only be in their waters for 6 months instead of the EU rule of 18 months (talking about the boat itself, not Schengen). However I just read that Greece has finally changed to align with the EU rules (18 months). Does anyone know if that is the case? Otherwise Greece might be difficult to list the boat if I have a 6 month window.

Thoughts?

THanks so much for all of the input. Great information here!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45   #8

We flew into Athens and took a bus to Lefkas. Many people buy boats in the winter and have work done during the slower months as they get pretty busy in the summer. Not aware of any issues in Greece not honoring the 18 month rule.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:29   #9
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hi Zoid,
I have been in Turkey several times. I just sold my Salina in Oz and I am looking at buying a smaller cat in Turkey.
I think Turkey is an excellent place to buy a boat (hence I'd consider it a good place to sell one).
You might pm me with your boat details if you don't want to post the details here.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:40   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

Consider Pireus.
Much yacht related activity and very easy to reach by plane.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:56   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Not yet mentioned is the issue of CE approval (EU Boating Directive?) and who might be able to buy the boat. If your cat is a model sold inside the EU then you should be OK for a buyer to import into the EU (paying taxes of course). If it is not then a prospective EU buyer may have difficulties importing the boat, and in fact your market may be limited to non-EU residents or EU residents not wishing to import the boat into the EU. Selling the boat in Greece to an EU resident may trigger a VAT obligation (and CE requirements), while selling in Turkey will avoid CE issues and EU VAT.

I make no claims as to understanding the details of these matters but I strongly recommend you check this out with someone knowledgeable first. One reason so many US boats are for sale and sold in Turkey is to avoid the EU issues - it is not simply a matter of a convenient marina.

Greg
Old 12-04-2016, 12:40   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Not yet mentioned is the issue of CE approval (EU Boating Directive?) and who might be able to buy the boat. If your cat is a model sold inside the EU then you should be OK for a buyer to import into the EU (paying taxes of course). If it is not then a prospective EU buyer may have difficulties importing the boat, and in fact your market may be limited to non-EU residents or EU residents not wishing to import the boat into the EU. Selling the boat in Greece to an EU resident may trigger a VAT obligation (and CE requirements), while selling in Turkey will avoid CE issues and EU VAT.

I make no claims as to understanding the details of these matters but I strongly recommend you check this out with someone knowledgeable first. One reason so many US boats are for sale and sold in Turkey is to avoid the EU issues - it is not simply a matter of a convenient marina.

Greg
Greg, if you look at the original poster, it shows what boat he has.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 14:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

maybe I have a buyer for you. pleas give me details
Old 12-04-2016, 16:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Greg
It's a 2013 Lagoon 380 Owners version. I am the original owner. VAT not paid on it, I have just made sure to leave every 18 months. Great input, I will need to research all of this in more detail.

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: