Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 15:15   #1

Bareboat Less than One Week in Croatia

Hello all. My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Dubrovnik in July 2011. We are planning a few nights a resort there, however I'd hoped to also sail for 3 or 4 nights. Unfortunately, we can only be there for about 8 days. All the charter companies I have found (as expected) will only lease for one week at a time. Does anyone know of a company that will book for a shorter period than that? Any thoughts on how we could do a shorter than typical trip? The only option I have come up with is to book for a week and just return the boat early! Not exactly the most cost effective plan..

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!
gambler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi GAmbler,

Not, all but some charter companies offers a last minure deals. This may include to get the boat (not necessarily the one you are looking for) and pay for the numbers of days you use, or get the boat with excessive discount. So you wouldn't mind paying the entire week.
The risk is, you ay not get any boat at all. Then you carry on enjoying yr ressort

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40   #3

Boat: Southerly 115- Amazing Grace
Croatia is a wonderful cruising ground, but has become increasingly expensive as a result of being "discovered." You could look for private individuals who moor their boats there (as we did), but by Croatian regs, you must have either the owner of the boat, or one of their immediate family aboard if you aren't using a licensed charter company. At least that was the case several years ago.
www.kaykoudele.blogspot.com
Kay Koudele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Koudele
Croatia is a wonderful cruising ground, but has become increasingly expensive as a result of being "discovered." You could look for private individuals who moor their boats there (as we did), but by Croatian regs, you must have either the owner of the boat, or one of their immediate family aboard if you aren't using a licensed charter company. At least that was the case several years ago.
It's got even stricter in recent years.

Dave
Old 05-01-2011, 11:25   #5

I suppose that while our plans are still flexible, we could consider alternatives. We are getting married in northern Italy and the plan was to just spend a week after the wedding somewhere in Europe. Is there anywhere less "discovered" that anyone would recommend? We've been to many of the more common destinations, but had not tried Croatia, which made it appealing.. Travel is not an issue since it is relatively easy to find budget flights throughout Europe.

Thanks again!
gambler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27   #6

Boat: Southerly 115- Amazing Grace
We went from Greece to Croatia in July of '09 and the area was busy with chartered boats, except for Montenegro and Albania, which has recently opened up to cruisers. From hundreds of boats in Greek harbors, to 7 in an Albanian port, it was fun to find friendly folks wanting to be hospitable. There are not many services or ports for yachts, but interesting countries.
Kay Koudele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 13:47   #7

For example a Yachtcharter Pitter | Charter offers a short charter. Also AYC.HR :: Adriatic Yacht Charter - Croatia is flexible. Both have a base in Dubrovnik. I have no expirience with them.

Best regards,
Slaven
slaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:51   #8

Re: Bareboat Less than One Week in Croatia

Perhaps I can help you!
have some good connections.actually living in split.cant write you a privatemessage.so, you can write me..
pozdrav in english regards
maja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:00   #9

Hi,

I am interested in getting a recommendation for a good charter company in Split (or anywhere along the coast from Zadar). Could you loop me into this conversation?

Cheers!
osullivanshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40   #10

yes of course, i will write you later some details..;-)
maja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:02   #11

Yachting in Croatia is absolutely beautiful! When I went, we started in Dugi Otok (one of the largest islands) and went Island hopping for a week. The great thing about Croatia are the islands and their own distinct personalities as well as the friendly local people.

I wish you the best on your journey and watch out for the freak storms (when I was there we were in a Force 9).

As for finding a good yacht charter company, I would recommend http://www.boatbookings.com

Best,
Alex
StartedSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi,
You'll need to use the web and track this guy down and ask him the question. Back in 2007 we spent time on the top end of Mjlet Island and when walking the national park we enjoyed a beer / wine / snack at a small family operation run by a ex pat named Dave in a village named (I think) Soline. Dave was ex charter skipper and he and new wife were just starting up their eco cottage and cafe business. I recall all the cheese and wine was made by mum.
But more importanty - Dave had a Nicholson 30 something parked across the lagoon which he said he would consider chartering to guests.......
Afraid thats the best I can do.
Good luck
JOHN

Tags
bareboat, Croatia, croatia