Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 02:11   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Bareboat Chartering in Croatia

There are all kind of winds you can have a week full of wind and next none...they have 8-9 different winds from different directions.. Jugo (south-easterly wind), Bura/Bora (north-easterly wind), Maestral/Mistral (north-easterly wind), Sirocco (southerly wind), Tramuntana (northerly wind), Levanter and easterly wind, etc.

I would recommend late August but better Sep for sailing. August is packed!
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 03:22   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
Yes, when we chartered with Sunsail last year an ICC was mandatory. The Croatian law requires this so I was told.
First time for us; a good opportunity to get this piece of paper (after sailing without it for over 40 years). Don't know about the rest of the wold but the Dutch version of the (international) ICC can be obtained learning some theory only.

Croatian law, ( the only one in the med) requires the skipper to have a certificate of competency , of which the ICC is ONE, the list of acceptable competencies certs is quite long and ranges from ASA certs all the way to RYA YM etc,

dave
Old 06-02-2014, 14:38   #18

Ivana @ Croatia Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyeska View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great information. It is very helpful and look forward to anything anyone else can add. Anyone want to recommend a charter company?
We had a very good experience with Ivana and Oz at Croatia Charter in 2011. They operate out of Split, which was very convenient for the relaxed island hopping we wanted to do. We had such a lovely time, it put Croatia at the top of our list of favorite sailing destinations.
The Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:14   #19

I'm in USA and got on the site looking for information about the ICC chestnut!

I'm still a bit bemused as to if when where and how the ICC is applicable and more particularly when and how it's enforced. Through all the comments no-one has suggested they were incarcerated, boat was impounded or anything save a bit of delay by an overly officious uniformed person.

Although I've chartered in BVI's before I don't have any sailing qualifications. We are only looking to charter for three weeks but I'd hate to get there and find it all a shambles. The two charter companies I've chatted with haven't helped much at all. In fact I'm more concerned AFTER speaking with them as all the information is conflicting and confusing.

So what are the present conditions and can I charter a yacht to sail the Dalmatian coast without a drama? Am I better to get the licence through RYA and avoid any problems? Any advice would be terrific. Thanks.
mjtoffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:41   #20

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtoffshore View Post

I'm still a bit bemused as to if when where and how the ICC is applicable and more particularly when and how it's enforced. Through all the comments no-one has suggested they were incarcerated, boat was impounded or anything save a bit of delay by an overly officious uniformed person.

Although I've chartered in BVI's before I don't have any sailing qualifications. We are only looking to charter for three weeks but I'd hate to get there and find it all a shambles. The two charter companies I've chatted with haven't helped much at all. In fact I'm more concerned AFTER speaking with them as all the information is conflicting and confusing.

So what are the present conditions and can I charter a yacht to sail the Dalmatian coast without a drama? Am I better to get the licence through RYA and avoid any problems? Any advice would be terrific. Thanks.
I think you'd be wise to get the ICC. We cruised Croatia in 2004-5 without problems, but since then they seem to have got fussier about the ICC or a similar qualification. Montenegro is the same and foreign skippers have actually been turned away there because they arrived without it.

It's a long way to travel and have to sit it out in a hotel for three weeks!
Old 25-02-2014, 15:15   #21
Nearly an old salt

US sailing or ASA qualifications are fine for Croatia

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 08:17   #22
Marine Service Provider

Hi mjtoffshore
There is lots of information about ICC's on the IYT website hereInternational Certificate of Competency (ICC) | Recreational | Courses | IYT Worldwide

We do the exams down here in the BVI, you can fly with Spirit for under 100 bucks each way from the East coast of the States.
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 08:19   #23
Nearly an old salt

Bareboat Chartering in Croatia

Can I just reiterate, you do not need an ICC to sail in Croatia ( nor elsewhere ). Croatia , which is the only country to legally demand certification, a wide range of qualifications are accepted.

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 08:54   #24
Marine Service Provider

If you have no formal qualifications but lots of experience, taking an ICC exam is a very cost effective way of demonstrating you meet the level of competence laid down in Resolution 40 which many European countries have adopted.

Most training schemes have pre-requisites of prior knowledge of previous schemes before achieving an equivalent to the ICC standard, so the course progression requires some financial investment.

If you know your "stuff" you can turn up for an ICC exam, demonstrate your competence and walk away with an Internationally recognized certificate for a very small investment.
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:18   #25

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Have no idea if it's enforced or if they follow their own rules:

http://www.croatia-yachting-charter....ng-croatia.pdf

In accordance with Article 4 Paragraph 3 of The Ordinance on Boats and Yachts
(Official Gazette No. 27/05, 57/06, 80/07, 3/08 and 18/09)
certificates issued by the competent authorities of other states
that have concluded bilateral Memorandum of Understanding with Croatian Administration
are recognized for operating Croatian flag boats and yachts as in the table below

Can't seem to copy and paste from the table, U.S. licenses that are allowed start at item 36.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:41   #26

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtoffshore View Post

You'll almost certainly need something to demonstrate your competence to charter. Otherwise, the charter company wouldn't be insured.

As an alternative to acquiring the necessary certification before you head off, you could consider taking an ICC examination at one of the recognised RYA training centres in Croatia when you get there (see Find A Training Centre | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA). Risky, I know, but only you know how competent you are.

I took the exam in Greece last year prior to heading up to Montenegro and Croatia this year and it consisted of a short written exam (10-15 minutes) and a two-hour evaluation of my practical skills at mooring alongside, picking up a buoy, anchoring, boat handling under sail and motor and simple navigation. It was a breeze, really, but then I've been sailing for 35 years.

I should take a look at the course syllabus and then decide for yourself whether you feel confident with that approach. Sunsail in Kremik Marina is one of the centres and they could examine you then offer you a charter to follow.

Good luck!

GORDON
Old 26-02-2014, 10:57   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortolasailing View Post
If you have no formal qualifications but lots of experience, taking an ICC exam is a very cost effective way of demonstrating you meet the level of competence laid down in Resolution 40 which many European countries have adopted.

Most training schemes have pre-requisites of prior knowledge of previous schemes before achieving an equivalent to the ICC standard, so the course progression requires some financial investment.

If you know your "stuff" you can turn up for an ICC exam, demonstrate your competence and walk away with an Internationally recognized certificate for a very small investment.

Resolution 40 in no way requires signatory countries to REQUIRE the ICC. It merely means that such countries recognise and issue such certificates.

The ICC has no prerequisites, nor do many courses, only advanced high level courses have pre-requisites.

An ICC exam requires a written exam and about a 2 hour on boat practical exam.

There is no need to acquire an ICC, if you have any form of existing certification , ( note any form )

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 11:01   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Have no idea if it's enforced or if they follow their own rules:

http://www.croatia-yachting-charter....ng-croatia.pdf

In accordance with Article 4 Paragraph 3 of The Ordinance on Boats and Yachts

(Official Gazette No. 27/05, 57/06, 80/07, 3/08 and 18/09)

certificates issued by the competent authorities of other states

that have concluded bilateral Memorandum of Understanding with Croatian Administration

are recognized for operating Croatian flag boats and yachts as in the table below

Can't seem to copy and paste from the table, U.S. licenses that are allowed start at item 36.

Yes it is enforced

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 12:50   #29

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
You'll almost certainly need something to demonstrate your competence to charter. Otherwise, the charter company wouldn't be insured.
GORDON
This came up in another thread recently. Many (most?) places in the world still accept a sailing resume. They reserve the right to do a half day checkout with a captain and if he's not satisfied you get to pay for him the rest of your charter.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:56   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
This came up in another thread recently. Many (most?) places in the world still accept a sailing resume. They reserve the right to do a half day checkout with a captain and if he's not satisfied you get to pay for him the rest of your charter.

Not in Croatia. The law requires competency certificates. It's one of the few places that requires it.

Dave

Tags
bareboat, charter, Croatia, croatia