Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 06:58   #1
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

We recently moved our sailing boat in this area and we are searching for suggestions and may be meet with other sailors in this area (Girona to Perpignan)
__________________

__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:34   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nice, France
Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Posts: 281
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

I'm in Saint Laurent du Var marina, 5 minutes from Nice airport. Many superyachts in summer send their tenders to this marina to pick up their guests while the boat is anchored just outside the marina.
__________________

__________________
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:05   #3
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I'm in Saint Laurent du Var marina, 5 minutes from Nice airport. Many superyachts in summer send their tenders to this marina to pick up their guests while the boat is anchored just outside the marina.

Lucky you

I;m in St Cyprien - about 150m away from you towards Spain
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:25   #4
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Currently in Canet. Been in the area for a few years now. Most of our cruising is between there and Barcelona.

Hoping to wangle a berth in the Marseille area for a change of scenary.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:59   #5
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Currently in Canet. Been in the area for a few years now. Most of our cruising is between there and Barcelona.

Hoping to wangle a berth in the Marseille area for a change of scenary.
I got along lease (2 years) fora berth in St Cyprien / Les Capellans ..

sailed last summer in the area... from Colioure to Baclecona - but after Roses looks too busy.. almost all anchoring spaces are taken buy local boats on buys..

btw: love the area around Cala Bona

Question: do you have a know how about good local English speaking technician etc. ? I'm thinking about getting copper coat on my boat in April..
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nice, France
Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Posts: 281
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post

Question: do you have a know how about good local English speaking technician etc. ? I'm thinking about getting copper coat on my boat in April..
Hy Vtomanov, I am also looking at coppercoating mu hull, can you give us feedback about costs, applications and results?
Thanks.
__________________
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52   #7
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
I got along lease (2 years) fora berth in St Cyprien / Les Capellans ..

sailed last summer in the area... from Colioure to Baclecona - but after Roses looks too busy.. almost all anchoring spaces are taken buy local boats on buys..

btw: love the area around Cala Bona

Question: do you have a know how about good local English speaking technician etc. ? I'm thinking about getting copper coat on my boat in April..
Sorry. No for good technician. And no for English speaking.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:25   #8
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

I was given details of highly recomended from neighbours technician in Canet - but only french speaking ... I can forward the details to you ?

Copercoat - I had copercoat previously on boat in UK and was very happy - total price for all inc 34 feet was about 2K , but do not have a offer in France yet - was given contact details for Coppercoat rep in Canet , but after seriouse chasing it seems they are not very interested to do the whole job - just seling the paint ...

finally currently I'm thinking between Hempel Ocean Performer and coppercoat - both dine by myself - may be hire a second pair of hands for the scrubbing part ....

brw: I'm very happy with the marina and service in the yard e.g in/out etc. , but it seems in this part of France everyone is working on his own biat himself - e.g I started doing the same and actually enjoy it
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:45   #9
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
I was given details of highly recomended from neighbours technician in Canet - but only french speaking ... I can forward the details to you ?
Yes please do. I have a problem with my electric windlass......

Thanks.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 15:12   #10
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Yes please do. I have a problem with my electric windlass......

Thanks.
this is what my neighbor gave me.. :

http://mantis.b2net.net/dw/IMG_1223.JPG

btw: if you are around 27-28 Jan - we can have a coffe
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 02:51   #11
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Currently in Canet. Been in the area for a few years now. Most of our cruising is between there and Barcelona.

Hoping to wangle a berth in the Marseille area for a change of scenary.
Hi med are still in the are ?

I'm going to be in St Cyp and take my boat out for antifouiling refreshment first week of April...
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 02:42   #12
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
Hi med are still in the are ?

I'm going to be in St Cyp and take my boat out for antifouiling refreshment first week of April...
Yep. Currently getting the top of my engine rebuilt. New heat exchanger, new valves etc.

Will be moving to Rosas in Spain this summer.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 03:34   #13
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Yep. Currently getting the top of my engine rebuilt. New heat exchanger, new valves etc.

Will be moving to Rosas in Spain this summer.

Is not Rosas tooo expensive ? last time I've checked all spain based marinas were crazy expensive... and the only two viable options were , Port Vendres , but a long waiting list and buy a berth in St Cyp - and went with the berth in St Cyp option... if I was staying at the boat full summer I may consider staying on anchor at Cadaques bay also for free
__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 04:44   #14
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
Is not Rosas tooo expensive ? last time I've checked all spain based marinas were crazy expensive... and the only two viable options were , Port Vendres , but a long waiting list and buy a berth in St Cyp - and went with the berth in St Cyp option... if I was staying at the boat full summer I may consider staying on anchor at Cadaques bay also for free
Spanish marinas for yearly rental are about 50% more expensive than the French ones. However, as you probably know, finding a yearly rental space in a French marina is not easy (most waiting lists are a joke, you need to find a way of getting around the list).

Lease purchases seem poor value in France (i.e. cost more than the yearly rental x number of years on the lease) when you take into account the yearly maintenance charges. In some places the yearly maintenance charge (which is included in a rental), is more than half the rental charge!

In Spain, they seem to be pretty close the number of year of rental charge (minus maintenance charge) x years of lease.

I am moving to Rosas as the family like the area and also it is much nicer for a weekend sail - there a several bays a couple of hours sail away to while a way a weekend at anchor.

This is not so practical from Canet - less choice and then you need to battle your way around Cap Bear against a F8 head wind and against 1.5 knots of current on Sunday evening with some nasty short sharp waves thrown in. The majority of my family don't like that. (And in my experience it is always like than on Sunday afternoons/evenings).

In Cadaques, there are very few places left to anchor once they have laid the buoy field for summer. The buoys are not free, and the areas where you might be able to swing to anchor have pretty rocky bottoms. OK for a lunch stop, but not for sitting out a gale or for leaving the boat while you go ashore.

If you know a spot of sand in the bay away from the buoys, please do let me know!!
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 06:03   #15
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Anyone sailing in the Med Spain/French border area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Spanish marinas for yearly rental are about 50% more expensive than the French ones. However, as you probably know, finding a yearly rental space in a French marina is not easy (most waiting lists are a joke, you need to find a way of getting around the list).

Lease purchases seem poor value in France (i.e. cost more than the yearly rental x number of years on the lease) when you take into account the yearly maintenance charges. In some places the yearly maintenance charge (which is included in a rental), is more than half the rental charge!

In Spain, they seem to be pretty close the number of year of rental charge (minus maintenance charge) x years of lease.

I am moving to Rosas as the family like the area and also it is much nicer for a weekend sail - there a several bays a couple of hours sail away to while a way a weekend at anchor.

This is not so practical from Canet - less choice and then you need to battle your way around Cap Bear against a F8 head wind and against 1.5 knots of current on Sunday evening with some nasty short sharp waves thrown in. The majority of my family don't like that. (And in my experience it is always like than on Sunday afternoons/evenings).

In Cadaques, there are very few places left to anchor once they have laid the buoy field for summer. The buoys are not free, and the areas where you might be able to swing to anchor have pretty rocky bottoms. OK for a lunch stop, but not for sitting out a gale or for leaving the boat while you go ashore.

If you know a spot of sand in the bay away from the buoys, please do let me know!!
in general you are correct

in Cadaques - I stay in cala Conca - not the perfect place in the world but safe enough - the bottom is as per the video attached - this is my Kobra 2 anchor setting in this exact spot -



Cala Conca is not very nice in south wind but in that case I usually go on the other side of Cala Bona - e.g. Cala Culip

and agree again my family does not like the bumpy see also and I hate to pay the crazy price for buoy in Cadaques

re: buying a berth I spent about 20K for 25years lease in St Cyp and my service charge is 1500 EUR per year - for 11 x 4 berth in a VERY safe place - Les Capellans - e.g. I'm extremely happy with berth and service from teh marina

I have a sailing boat 34 feet - Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34 - 1990 - and usually sail with friends or my wife and our daughter 3 years old.. my wife hates bumpy ride and bumpy anchorages...

btw : this is the swimming pool near my berth and my wide and daughter enjoying it



and this is a anchorage on the other side of the bay Of Roses - Cala Montgo

__________________

__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, sail, sailing, Spain

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Essex / Suffolk Border, 22ft Sailing Cruiser Pagan Crew Archives 5 14-02-2014 11:50
Crew Wanted: Sailing 2013 - Gijon (Spain) to Med concentrik Crew Archives 1 14-01-2013 19:23
US Sailor Detained by Canadian Border Officials Solitude Cruising News & Events 2 09-03-2010 14:22
Need Liveaboard Marina in NH/ME/MA Border Area ssullivan Liveaboard's Forum 8 15-11-2006 15:23
US - Canada Border Information GordMay Other 1 02-07-2005 21:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.