Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 05:35   #1

Any recommendations for Saronic in late September?

Hello,

I'll be embarking on my first bareboat charter with the girlfriend in a couple of weeks from Athens around the Saronic.

The timing was mainly down to work commitments, but hopefully it will also be "off-peak", whilst still plenty hot enough.

We've done a fair amount of research, but are keen to get any recommendations on places that are a "must", and in particular any suggested anchorages, places for stopping and swimming, etc.

Have already come across the following link which makes some helpful suggestions.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...281974791&z=16

Thanks in advance.

John
JohnV85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 14:32   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Any recommendations for Saronic in late September?

I know ell the region being sailing there this year escaping the Meltemi that was blowing on the central Aegean.

The region is beautiful but most of the time overcrowded specially the nicest places like Hydra or Spetses where is very dificult to find a place at the port. In Poros, also beautiful you can always find a place, in not on the port at anchor.

If you like less crowded places try the golf after the Saronic, the Argolic Gulf where, contrary to Saronic you will get great wind for sailing (in the afternoon) almost always from the same direction. Very nice places.

I make a kind of diary on facebook with plenty of photos and descriptions (use the translator) and I have sailed extensively this year the Saronic and the Argolic so you can look at the pictures and get an idea.

https://web.facebook.com/paulo.pernao

I was there about a month ago. Scroll down or look for the posts from july to 15 August.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

I've spent several seasons in the Saronic Gulf, right up to mid October. The weather is still warm, but evenings can be cool. The area will be much quieter than earlier in the year and tavernas will still be open.

Good places to visit include Palaia Epidavros, anchor in the bay or tie to the quay, visit the two amphitheatres in the area, the small one that you can walk to through the orange groves and the larger, more famous one that you will need a taxi or bus to visit (well worth it). Aegina is a nice town to wander around but the harbour is notorious for crossed anchors and shouting, you can anchor outside in settled weather. Opposite Aegina is Angistri which has a couple of nice anchorages and the Metopi Shoal, good protection from N/NW and clear water. Poros has numerous anchorages, the best for swimming are to the west, nearer the town it is very murky but excellent holding for visiting the lovely town. Good places to eat are Poseidon, Appagio, To Kypos. Hydra is lovely but very touristy, we went on the 12th May (right at the beginning of the season) and struggled to find a spot to moor. There is an anchorage outside the town if the weather is good, or go to Ermioni and get a hydrofoil over for the day. Ermioni has two areas to moor, north and south, both good, the anchorage to the north is also excellent. There's a market on Thursdays.

If you have more time it is worth going round to the Argolic Gulf, there are some lovely anchorages including Korakonisia and Vivari. Nafplion is a lovely city to visit if you have time.
Old 23-09-2017, 23:10   #4

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Currently moored in Nafplion. There is so much space that several yachts are alongside, rather than stern-to. The fort above the town and the walk up to it are both sensational, and the whole place is very clean and picturesque. My wife and I both commented that it is the first place in Greece where "hey, I could live here" thoughts entered our heads.

On the other hand, the harbor is downright smelly with sewage, I could not find a chandlery (bit of a hobby of mine!), and the shopping is all fancy clothes and touristy knick-knacks (hell for me, heaven for Mrs. LongRange).

Overall, I preferred Poros because it is more "yachty", but Nafplion (Navplion) is a much bigger and more distinguished-looking place.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men