Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 00:38   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Anchoring in Croatia?

We anchor a lot in Croatia and I would say that the bottom is not particularly different to many places, Often its a silty sand with sea grass patches. A lot of boats there have Bruce look alikes and they seem to manage ok. The Bruce is very broad tipped so will not dig in quickly, but once it does it should hold well. You have had a lot of good advice here and I would echo
* drop on areas clear of weed. There is a lot of sea grass and nothing works reliably in that
* drop while moving very slowly astern
* lots of scope at least 4 times depth better with more
* let the wind (if any) or more likely with no wind motor very gently in reverse to straighten out chain and to start dig in
* wait, wait, wait to allow anchor to start dig in
* very slowly increase reverse power in stages maybe waiting several minutes in each stage
Good luck
PS we had a Brittany and that was problematical so replaced with Kobra 2 and that works fine
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

I am amazed at the number of posts recommending x3 or x4 scope for the rode in the Mediterranean, and the exotic steps being taken to dig the anchors in.

The majority of older style anchors cannot develop their maximum holding with less the x6 scope. Some more modern anchors manage less. But I'm not aware of any which develop their full holding force with less than x4 scope.

I say "Mediterranean" because it is quite common in the Med to meet 25kt winds when anchoring. With the subsequent "tacking" at anchor, very high forces are developed on the rode, easily enough to straighten the rode and remove all significant catenary (OK, some 2 degrees may remain).

These peak forces are equivalent to holding a typical sailboat in a steady "full astern". Conclusion: if you can't hold full astern against your anchor, you will drag once the wind gets above 25kts . . .

Try different scopes on your own boat's configuration of anchor and chain. Spend an hour one day trying ever shortening scopes on a decent flat bottom to see at what scope your anchor will refuse to hold. On hard sand my experiments showed Britany just over x6, Spade x5, plough and Bruce type both dragging a distance before holding even when using x6.

Before saying "rubbish", try this first on you own boat. Start with x3, then x4, then x5, then x6 - and see at what scope anchoring becomes reliable and capable of holding full astern. Errm. without snagging a rock, that is!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:59   #18

Hi there,
I experienced the same thing this summer. First time in Kvarner/north dalmatian area.
In France I had no problems the year before. Nice sand bottoms.
So I took my fins dove to my anchor one time, and I could not set it manually. Rock bottom. Very hard.(I would have needed a sledgehammer) The other time, it was gavel, here I also kept dragging.
Ok I didn't use 7x lengths, but then again its impossible. The creeks are often small, and you want to anchor close to shore, so if you leave 7x chain, you have to start dropping in too deep water. So my solution was using one of the many buoy fields. Anchoring only in daytime for a short lunch or swim. I would like to find a solution also. :-)
captvinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:46   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

I have sailed in Croatia several times with different anchors and with the exception of an imitation of a Bruce anchor never had a problem with it and even with the Bruce anchor I managed to live with it even if I hated the dam thing. The other anchor used were a Delta and a Spade. No problem at all.

The only problem had to do with the deep going very steep not far from the coast in many places and the camp buoys that many times occupy the best places. A good guide like 777 ports and anchorages can help.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 03:52   #20

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I'd suggest the most important piece of advice is not to do what most charterers do and that is lower the anchor slowly on the windlass control while reversing. That way, you have no way of knowing when the anchor hits bottom and a good chance of picking up a whole underwater garden while you go.

I know it seems obvious advice, but then why do the majority of charterers still do it?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37   #21

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I was in Croatia this summer and found anchoring to be quite different and somewhat more challenging than in my usual cruising area in the Balearics.

One important difference is the steepness of the bottom. This means coves are often too deep to anchor in the center and so one needs to get close to shore to find reasonable depths. An experienced local captain urged me to always take a stern line or two to shore to fasten to a tree or rock. As the boat will not swing, the anchor will be less likely to release and then drag.

Another difference in Croatia is the often rocky bottoms, sometimes totally flat. In these situation we used a fisherman anchor in addition to our main anchor (a heavy Navy anchor) plus two lines to shore to keep the boat from swinging. A sharp-pointed anchor such as a Delta could also work is such a bottom.

We did drag twice in the three months we spent in Croatia this summer. Both times in weedy bottoms and without a line to shore to prevent swinging around. Weeds are always difficult but I believe part of the problem was insufficient scope for the strong winds that came up.

So, my recommendations for anchoring in Croatia are:
- plenty of scope (ideally 7X or more, never less than 5x)
- one or two lines to shore to prevent swinging, particularly in deep anchorages
- auxiliary anchor such as a Fisherman for use in rocky bottoms
- visual check of the anchor once set, water-temperature permitting
- extra care in weedy bottoms: double check the weather, use Drag Queen or similar and remain alert for increasing winds and changes in direction.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13   #22
Marine Service Provider

Similar anchorages in coves with "steep to" shores are common in Greece and Turkey too. The only reliable way to use them is with a long line ashore.

You mention "line around a tree". Be careful with that. Trees have been killed by being ring-barked this way, and as a result it's illegal to tie to trees in some areas!

JimB
Old 07-01-2015, 03:05   #23
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Just to echo jckb about running a shore line. Turkey in particular is now introducing "protected area" where it is illegal to tie to anything ashore other than specially selected objects-these are often painted red and marked in the pilot guide.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

Yes, in Turkey they really tie the boats to anything but tying a boat to shore is a mixed blessing that can have nasty consequences if you don't know very well the local and the prevalent winds. On a boat tied subjected to a lateral wind the anchor would be making a lot more force and not on the better angle too; if the win is frontal if the anchor drags you are done with no space to react.

You really have to know the places, on lots of them the wind blows from one direction weaker during the day and at the end of the day and during the night strongly from the opposite direction. If you tie to the rocks on the wrong direction, according to the wind that blows when you arrive, you can be in trouble during the night.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 00:45   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes, in Turkey they really tie the boats to anything but tying a boat to shore is a mixed blessing that can have nasty consequences if you don't know very well the local and the prevalent winds. On a boat tied subjected to a lateral wind the anchor would be making a lot more force and not on the better angle too; if the win is frontal if the anchor drags you are done with no space to react.

You really have to know the places, on lots of them the wind blows from one direction weaker during the day and at the end of the day and during the night strongly from the opposite direction. If you tie to the rocks on the wrong direction, according to the wind that blows when you arrive, you can be in trouble during the night.
In such places you deal with varying side wind by taking two lines ashore with a big V between - up to 90 degrees. And, of course, the closer to shore you can lie, the better. Sadly, in more crowded coves, it's not always easy to persuade your neighbours to use twin lines!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:28   #26

Boat: LAGOON 400

i had my share of anchor dragging in croatia. Nice blue lagoon in Lastovo, We anchored and looked thru window couple minutes later and we were speeding towards rocks !!! Luckily missing some german yacht. On top of that even if you do the right thing someone else comes along and ruins the party as everything is way too crowded. The whole thing was too stressful for me. Good anchor spot in cro it's like finding free coffee table in shanghai centre.

not for me. i hate crowd.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:46   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
In such places you deal with varying side wind by taking two lines ashore with a big V between - up to 90 degrees. And, of course, the closer to shore you can lie, the better. Sadly, in more crowded coves, it's not always easy to persuade your neighbours to use twin lines!
Good advice. In addition to this, in unsettled weather or uncertain bottoms, we would set a second anchor (with the dinghy) forming a V with the main anchor.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 00:37   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Good advice. In addition to this, in unsettled weather or uncertain bottoms, we would set a second anchor (with the dinghy) forming a V with the main anchor.
When I'm certain the anchor is only going to pull in one direction (as in a running moor, or with line ashore or end on to a quay) I use a different technique to deal with uncertain bottoms.

If the anchor doesn't hold full astern, I re-set it in a new spot! Or move location.

Splayed lines ashore then take up most of the lateral stress, so crosswinds don't put too much strain on the anchor. And for headwinds, full astern on my boat was the equivalent to over 45kts of headwind. Evidence - I could make about 2kts of headway in 45kts into a 2nm fetch. And the variable pitch prop was just as efficient in astern as ahead.

Sure, a second anchor if you're leaving the boat for a while, especially if a neighbour may lift your line when they depart.

JimB
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Similar anchorages in coves with "steep to" shores are common in Greece and Turkey too. The only reliable way to use them is with a long line ashore.

You mention "line around a tree". Be careful with that. Trees have been killed by being ring-barked this way, and as a result it's illegal to tie to trees in some areas!

JimB

JimB,

I am sure you are very knowledgeable for Greek waters, maybe also for Croatia but I am amazed with some of yr comments on Turkey; can you name some of the "steep to" shores in Turkey just to be aware of ? Most of the anchorage in Turkey have a perfect holding and with a very few exceptions, I have never put an anchor in more than 10-12 meters.

The only place where line around a tree is illegal in Turkey are Göçek bays and metal sticks have been installled in many places couple of years ago. (to protect the environment, I urge eveyone to use the rocks anyway, wherever it's possible) These bays actually are one of the few places where the holding is compromised because of weedy bottom. But noone needs to anchor at deeper than 6-7 meters..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:01   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
JimB,

I am sure you are very knowledgeable for Greek waters, maybe also for Croatia but I am amazed with some of yr comments on Turkey; can you name some of the "steep to" shores in Turkey just to be aware of ? Most of the anchorage in Turkey have a perfect holding and with a very few exceptions, I have never put an anchor in more than 10-12 meters.

The only place where line around a tree is illegal in Turkey are Göçek bays and metal sticks have been installled in many places couple of years ago. (to protect the environment, I urge eveyone to use the rocks anyway, wherever it's possible) These bays actually are one of the few places where the holding is compromised because of weedy bottom. But noone needs to anchor at deeper than 6-7 meters..

Cheers

Yeloya
In my experience, the anchoring on the Turkish Aegean coast is excellent. There are rarely any crowds anywhere, and the holding has been good everywhere I have been -- quite a contrast to Croatia.

Turkey and Croatia both are among my very favorite cruising areas. The Turkish Aegean coast is simply spectacularly beautiful, and besides that you have great infrastructure, reasonable prices, fabulous food, and extremely friendly people.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote