Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13   #1

Anchorages around Roscoff?

Just made landfall in Roscoff from Plymouth. Forecast to be blowing hard from the SW for a few days. Does anyone know of any decent sheltered anchorages close by to avoid sitting in the Marina for few days. A lot of options for a drying hull but not so much for 2m draft.

There is a small harbour opposite on thr île de Batz which looks like it has potential to dry against the wall perhaps?

Thoughts?
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 00:14   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Anchorages around Roscoff?

Morlaix is a lovely historic town, interesting navigation through the rocks. Time to arrive 1hr before HW. Very sheltered. From memory, the only deep water on Batz is very close to the route of taxi boats and a bit exposed to SW. Anchorages at Lannion and Brignogan, not much there. Nice marina and town at Trebourden
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anchorages around Roscoff?

Morlaix is far away and treacherous to get to for a boat with any draught. Well worth it if you can manage it, but it's not a solution for Roscoff. You can anchor in the bay at the mouth of the river leading to Morlaix, as I have done a few times. It's ok in a SW wind in reasonably settled weather. There used to be a free mooring buoy there, too.

With a SW wind, there are a number of spots on the East side of the peninsula but none of them offer much access to the town. You can go into the town quay if you can take the ground. But what's wrong with the marina? It's cheap and good. We always go in there after crossing the Channel from the West Country. Only drawback is that it is a bit of a hike into the town, and the town is unexpectedly lovely and worth spending some time in.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages