Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19   #1

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
Albania : report and more questions

We arrived first time in Sarande to avoid the Greek "extra tax after 3 months" for a long weekend - it was a pleasure and dealing with the "main man" Agim , who met us at the dock, was a pleasure. The 4 night stop at the dock with free electricity and water was a total cost of 80 eu (for my 11 meter catamaran) inclusive of port and "customs/immigration" costs.
Being from South Africa , we had no Visa's and there was no problem.

We resolved to return with my sister who is from Zimbabwe - we are currently in Albania and have had no visa problems.

Leaving Sarande early AM , we arrived in Palermo , a "discontinued" submarine base and tied up at the dock - an old crumbling concrete affair with local fisherman seeming to be its only inhabitants. About 3 hours later, we had a military man speaking excellent english request us to move - we were allowed to stay only "a few hours" and must move on. I negotiated time to visit the old fort and take a coffee at the restaurant close by and he agreed immediately - but stressed we must move. I tried to anchor off behind the fish farm , but it was not suitable , so decided to try the southern part of the bay where it appeared to be good.
This was a real find ! The sandy bottom had good holding in 3.5 m water opposite the restaurant - it was a perfect alternative - we went ashore for a coffee - and ended up buying 2kg fresh fish from the restaurant - we went out in the dinghy to the little fishfarm and chose our own - does not get fresher or tastier than that !
If any other cruisers find it impossible to tie off at the dock - this is a close-by alternative.

The next day we arrived in Orikum Marina - pleasant and clean.
Luigi , the owner was easy to deal with and we were greeted and shown an excellent spot with mooring lines (I dont like dropping anchors in Marinas ???)

BUT - I am now expected to pay more port fees - another 30 EU ?
According to Luigi , Sarande is nothing to do with this place and I must pay again - even tho we are not even in the port , but south , far away from them ??? Has anybody else had this problem ?

We will be bussing to the capitol tomorrow - so will be able to update again after that.

Kris SV Footprints
Old 12-07-2013, 14:06   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Albania : report and more questions

thanks mate, great info, might drop in there next week. Keep us uodated please !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 12:11   #3

excellent information, we are heading there in our catamaran in early August, really appreciate it.
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 14:06   #4

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

update : not sure how , but we ducked the port fees - mebbe it was Mandelas birthday ??? anyway - good run back to Sarande and a quick checkout - no charge - and back to Greece

Albania is a pleasure : recommend it !