Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 20:18   #1

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro
Aigina to Istanbul

Will be joining my boat in Greece early April 2012 and have a bit of a yearning to see Istanbul again.
Has anyone any advice, experience, etc with regard to a passage from around Athens (Aigina) to Istanbul before returning via coast of Turkey, and then Greek Islands.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 17:38   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Aigina to Istanbul

Hi,
We sailed from Agina up to Ayvalik in April 2006. We had heavy weather from the north for much of the route up, which is why we gave up making Istanbul under sail. Parked up in Ayvalik and did a combo taxi / ferry trip to spend a few days in Istanbul. Only advice I can give is do it! Great city, great people.
Old blog with words (no pictures) at http://www.yotblog.co.uk/swagman/944...+Sardinia.html
John
Old 01-02-2012, 07:50   #3

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I'd suggest taking the northern route over (i.e. up the Evvia channel and through the Northern Sporades, crossing the N Aegean to the Dardanelles via Limnos and Gokceada or Bozcaada) then coming back at the end of your cruise via the Cyclades. Our favourite route is from Kusadasi via Ikaria (Evdhilos), Mykonos then either Syros/Kythnos/Poros/Aegina or Tinos/Kea/Sounion/Aegina. As long as you reach the Dardanelles before late June you should avoid the worst of the meltemi and the northern route has less wind anyway. You can find details on all the ports en route on the World Cruising Wiki (see link at top of page).
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Aigina to Istanbul

[QUOTE=athene;876688]I'd suggest taking the northern route over (i.e. up the Evvia channel and through the Northern Sporades, crossing the N Aegean to the Dardanelles via Limnos and Gokceada or Bozcaada) then coming back at the end of your cruise via the Cyclades.QUOTE]

In 2010 I took a Catalac along this route in August... my stops after leaving the Corinth Canal were Marmari, Evvia.. then Khalis where you have to clear in to pass the bridge... no exceptions.. usually opens around 11pm..
Good news is you can go alongside once through for the night if you wish.. everythings open till the early hours, bars, restaurants, shops etc...
After that we anchored of a lovely beach at the top before heading on to Platanias... good shelter if you have to wait for a window..
I would have liked to see the islands but... it was work so next stop was Limnos for a couple of days till the wind shifted and on to the Canakali... anchored twice with no worries... just check there's no barracks onshore.. they tend to have the coast well guarded.. last anchorage was 5 miles before the Marmara... then we headed for Pendik...
Corinth to the Canakali was the best part of the whole trip from Ipswich..
Damn... wrong pic for Khalis... also no charges at any of the jetty's we tied to.. water is available from a tap.. fuel is a man with a van...
Pic's are Marmari, Khalis, Platania, \limnos and the Canakali..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15082010.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	36780   Click image for larger version

Name:	18082010.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	36781  

Name:	23082010.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	36782   Click image for larger version

Name:	26082010(008).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	36783  

Name:	29082010.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	36784  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Aigina to Istanbul

Khalis...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18082010(002).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	36787  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 16:39   #6

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro

Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry I've 'not responded before now but have been preoccupied with some land based none sense.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Istanbul