Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 12:33   #1

Advice Requested - Croatia, Greek Ionian or Cyclades in late SEP15

Hello All,

This site has been an incredibly valuable resource to me as I've transitioned from daysailing and racing on the Chesapeake Bay to cruising. I'm hopeful that some of the Med crowd will be able to provide some insight into a trip my companions and I are planning next year.

A little about our group: Early 30s to mid 40s with 7-10 day bareboat charter experience on 40-48ft cats in the BVI and Grenadines. The last trip included four boats on different itineraries meeting up in the Tobago Cays, St. Vincent.

Our plan: We are interested in exploring the Med - namely Croatia, the Greek Ionian or Cyclades islands on this year's trip. We're looking at late September or early October due to work schedules and requirements on our end.

While we've found some information on the relative ease (Croatia and Ionian Islands) of sailing, and the increased difficulty of the Cyclades (though not so much in Sep), nothing seems to be terribly risky in terms of winds, weather, and our date window.

That being said, for a group of 1-3 boats and crew that are interested in
1. sailing,
2. food,
3. social culture (exciting nights, but not yacht week every night),
4. snorkeling and swimming,
4. price (we hypothesize a pre-Euro Croatia may be cheaper?)
what would those of you who frequent the area recommend?

Finally, any suggestions on charter outfits, itineraries or stops would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
davlucmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 23:56   #2

Re: Advice Requested - Croatia, Greek Ionian or Cyclades in late SEP15

September is still decent in the Cyclades but after sep 15 you get the occasional rainy day. It might be worthwhile looking at sailing South from Fethiye or Marmaris in Turkey towards Antalya. Beautiful coast with lots of little anchorages and small towns. Or sailing from Kos to Rhodes. First half of September IMHO is the best time to be in the Cyclades weather wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malaka11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaka11 View Post
September is still decent in the Cyclades but after sep 15 you get the occasional rainy day. It might be worthwhile looking at sailing South from Fethiye or Marmaris in Turkey towards Antalya. Beautiful coast with lots of little anchorages and small towns. Or sailing from Kos to Rhodes. First half of September IMHO is the best time to be in the Cyclades weather wise.

+1

That's a great time to be in that area. You ought to also consider flying into and chartering out of Bodrum or Fetiye and doing Turkish waters. Bodrum is lovely and plenty to do, and Turkey is inexpensive despite a generally higher level of civilization and infrastructure compared to Greece. With the Meltemi over, the sailing will be easy, but you might be short of wind from time to time.

Croatia pre-Euro is NOT cheap -- expensive berthing, expensive provisions, and a rapacious attitude towards foreign tourists. Totally different and much less pleasant atmosphere compared to Turkey or Greece.

That being said, the Dalmatian Coast is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places on earth, so well worth cruising there. Late Sept is getting slightly risky weather-wise, however. The North Adriatic is subject to short, violent storms with katabatic winds.

All in all, considering your criteria, I would probably go with Bodrum, sailing South from there.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

Croatia pre-Euro is NOT cheap -- expensive berthing, expensive provisions, and a rapacious attitude towards foreign tourists.

That being said, the Dalmatian Coast is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places on earth, so well worth cruising there. Late Sept is getting slightly risky weather-wise, however. The North Adriatic is subject to short, violent storms with katabatic winds.
We sailed the Dalmatian Coast last year almost all of Sept. In the few days you have you will not have time to make the northern part where the worst winds are. We had sunny warm days and some days we had good winds to sail and some times not. Take a look at EuroMarine out of Dubrovnik in the southern part for a charter. We had some repair work done there and they are top notch. The southern part has a lot of stops to make and great anchorages or med moor. depends on you.
as for the cost dockhead hit it right on.

Do not know about Greece yet as we will sail it this coming summer.

We sailed across in 2013 after spending some time in the Caribbean it is not the same so do not expect the same.

any question please pm me and I will send you one of our newletters we put out for friends and talks about sailing the Croatia.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51   #5

Boat: Hunter 410

We took a two week charter in the Cyclades in September 2014, 5-19. We loved it and had wonderful weather, though only a couple of pure sailing days, and a couple of days at the end with rather too sporty conditions. Prices in Greece were pretty attractive vs. many other Euro zone countries. We didn't seek night life; some of the islands are known for it and you can arrange your float plan accordingly. We sailed from Lavrion and visited as far south and east as the caldera at Santorini before making our way back north and west. Med mooring is a challenge, even for very experienced sailors (we have been cruising our own boat in the Caribbean since 2011), but it was only necessary a couple of times in the two weeks. The only thing I will say is that if you only have a week, I'm not sure the Cyclades would be my first choice. Also a warning - despite research and the opinion of our terrific base manager, it was not possible to dick at Ios and do a day trip to Santorini. We would have to have made it an overnight excursion. And - see other threads - finding a spot at Santorini is a challenge. And we wish we had spent a day at Paros! Enjoy the planning.

jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14   #6
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Hello

I would seriously look at Turkey. Greece is great but the weather is going to be turning at the end of September/October time. Croatia is expensive once you take into mooring/restaurants etc.

I was in Gocek area 2 years ago and the weather was still great, cheap and mixture of quiet anchorages and places for a decent night out.

If you would like any advice feel free to PM me I lived and sailed around the area for a year so should be able to answer any questions you have.
Old 14-12-2014, 00:42   #7

[QUOTE=davlucmac;1692884]

1. sailing,
The wind in Dodecanese islands of Greece in September is lovely I'm sure it will be a pleasurable sailing. Its the ideal month. I think schools start around September 11th so its not crazy packed around that time.

2. food,
Turkish food and greek food should win here. In Turkey because of the high taxes we have alcohol is generally expensive. But if you charter from Bodrum or Marmaris you can visit the Greek islands where there are plenty of good restaurants. Meanwhile you wouldnt miss the traditional cuisines of Turkey as well. Its best of both worlds.

3. social culture

Bodrum is the busiest place in Dodecanese. Plenty of fantastic bars and restaurants. Museums. Archeological sites. Luxury beaches. If you charter from bodrum I suggest you spend a day on land and visit places of turkish jet-set ie. Türkbükü...

4. snorkeling and swimming,
Plenty of this in the area

4. price

For prices maybe charter prices would give you an idea I cant compare Croatia but between Greece and Turkey, for general living expenses like shopping clothing food museums and stuff Turkey is cheaper. For luxury things such as bars, restaurants and maybe even charter prices Greece must be cheaper.

As per itineraries or stops I would do Bodrum to Datça on the Turkish coast and the Greek islands of Dodecanese in between.

I know Yüksel Yachting is a high quality charter agency but they are based in Marmaris not sure if they have offices in Bodrum.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
turgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 02:09   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

You should cross croatia from your list. It is only swimmable mid july to mid august.

Many anchorages do not hold and are hazardous. If they are good are unbelievably expensive.

No need to take snorkel in Med - no fish to see.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 05:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Turkey and or Dodocanese seem to be better fitting to yr needs.. Late September-early October is much better in this area, You can do both by chartering from Marmaris. Cahrtering from Bodrum is also an option but it's a bit fresher and the winds stronger, sometimes even a bit too much..
PM to me if you need more info if you decide to charter out of Turkey..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:32   #10

hi

I don't know what you have against Adriatic, but I was been in Croatia, with friends, last summer. In one week I was see, many time, dolphins and tuna, without diving gear, jumped out of the sea. I am especially impressed with this creatures Mediterranean monk seal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Cruising on this sailing ship motor-sailer-gulet I saw a beautiful untouched nature, crystal clear sea,
you can see bottom of about 15 meters deep. I can't compare price because I have never been in Greece or Turkey, but with Croatia I am very satisfied.
I sailed before with a small sailboat 12 meters, but sailing with big three masted sailing ship, I don't have words, just perfect.
spazamlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 05:49   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

mid Sept can be iffy in Greece, this past Sept we had 40-50 knots over the whole region- and those who say there are no fish, just don’t know where to find them, I often catch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tuna.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	93994   Click image for larger version

Name:	tun.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	93995  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 07:59   #12

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
mid Sept can be iffy in Greece, this past Sept we had 40-50 knots over the whole region- and those who say there are no fish, just don’t know where to find them, I often catch
Hi Ram

How are you buddy? not seen you for a while. Hope all is well with you.
Attached Images

rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 03:26   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we actually got tied of eating fresh tuna. now if we are headed to a port where we have to interact with pot officials we fish and if we catch something leave the fish with them (we keep them in the reefer to keep fresh) - you would be surprised by the reaction.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:52   #14

Boat: Grand Banks 50

We spent last summer in Croatia and had a great time.

We found this site useful in planning the itinerary:
Sailing the Dalmatian Coast, Southern Croatia | JimB Sail

We mostly ate on board. Plenty on shops and markets and prices not unreasonable but seafood was hard to find.

Marinas are pricey but there are plenty of anchorages.

The Med in general and Croatia in particular is nowhere near as good for snorkling as the Caribbean.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 11:12   #15

We were sailing in Croatia last summer ( August rather than September ) a beautiful country, friendly people, beautiful clear water, fabulous food would go back in a second. We didn't find it expensive to eat, and most of the time we were anchored in the bays near the towns or took moorings. We visited, Hvar, Komiza, Milna, Sibenik, Skraden, Vinisce.
shrimpydancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, Cyclades, ionian