Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 03:19   #1

Adriatic - Zadar to Split, Brac, Hvar - End of April, 2011

Hello All,

Does anyone have any advice on conditions we might expect in this area around the end of April.

We will be four people, three dayskippers and a novice but we do not have a lot of experience - just some charters in Ireland and RYA courses in Croatia.

Main concern would be if it blows up a hooley really quickly, if bad weather or the Bora sets in for several days, whether big seas are common at this time of year?

Also the area - I think we should be in good areas for seeking shelter if necessary, but is there anywhere to avoid?

Any and all advice very gratefully received ;-)

Cheers,
Shane
osullivanshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 04:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Adriatic - Zadar to Split, Brac, Hvar end of April

I've sailed around Split, Brac, and Hvar, but not in April. Don't miss Korcula and Stary Grad while you're there.

The geography creates a tendency to violent katabatic winds, so be sure you have a good anchor. We got caught in a sudden, violent storm in the middle of the night in the old harbor at Hvar which made every single boat in the harbor drag anchor. It was total chaos and a miracle that there were no collisions.

There are a million islands so always something to shelter behind. I'll have to leave it to others to tell you about the season, as I only sailed there in August.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 06:30   #3

Thanks a mil Dockhead, will put that on the checklist. Also for the advice on Korcula and Staroe Mesto!
osullivanshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:01   #4

Re: Adriatic - Zadar to Split, Brac, Hvar - End of April, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivanshane View Post
Hello All,
Does anyone have any advice on conditions we might expect in this area around the end of April.

Main concern would be if it blows up a hooley really quickly, if bad weather or the Bora sets in for several days, whether big seas are common at this time of year?

Hello,

I am from Croatia and sailing there for about 12 years. Me and my friends are going from Rogoznica marina to greek island of Korfu on 8th of April and hoping to be back by 18th.

Since i'ts a longer route we are actually hoping for some bora to give us "push" We are also following weather conditions and I can tell you that this winter there was more boras than previous years. We are interpreting that as there will less likely be sudden boras once that their season is over

I was personally on the sailboat on 45 knots of Bora but I remember south wind (Jugo) of 65 knots with 4-5 meters of waves to be uncomparably worse.
You should know that Bora, unlike Jugo does not produce big waves, instead it "twirls" and sprays water above the surface.
As for the unexpecity - generally themost unexpected storms happen in summer time. Jugo, is always the strongeston it's third day meaning you will see for 2 days that it is "building up". The bora, the really strong one - you can see that it's coming. It is followed by the hollow clouds and basically covers all of the sky.
There is "light" version of bora which wecall "burin". This one can frighten you because it is sudden, could be strong (up to 35 knots maybe). However, it does not last long(maybe half an hour at may but usually 10 minutes). You will recognize it if it's bora (nort-northeastern) but the (part of) sky is clear.

This is the picture of bora and effect it makes on sea surface:

As for your question:

there is a traditional saying about "three march boras" (local language: tri marcanske bure) meaning that March has three strong boras and after that they generally tend to dye out by the end of March. Off course, the nature does not have strict agenda so it is possible that last big bora happens somewhere in early April.
If you are up for more people expression there you go with another one: "stay away of murky bora and clear Jugo" (local: cuvaj se skure bure i vedroga juga).

I don't know at which part of April you are going but generally, the later you go, the less chances there are of stronger bora.

I see that you are going to sail from Zadar to Split. This area is rather well protected with many islands and ports and does not have a image of being toughest part of Adriatic (it is the northern part). Bora is north-northeastern wind meaning that you can take a shelter on southern side of islands.

I would recomend you following:

1.) When in marina - ask questions about weather forecast. I am following weather forecasts and I can tell you that they are right almost 100%. OK 99% Take the mobile phone number of the guy that rented you the boat. Give him a call once a day or two. He'll be glad that you (and his boat) are OK and you can find from him about any new developments.

2.) On every boat there is a book called "Peljar". They have it in English, check if it's there, if not - ask for one. There you can read which ports are protected from which winds.

3.) Check for the signs, if you see smaller fisher boats - they don't expect bad weather. If sea gulls are flying - no strong storm (doesn't mean that there won't be a "smaller" one though)

4.) While on boat turn on the radio channel 16, and keep it on. Let it be louder than music so that you can hear it from the deck. They are giving weather forecasts in English. Channel 16 is generally free and won't interrupt you. The exception to that rule is summer time when coast is flooded with Italians and they generally like to chat on that channel

5.) Again, for any problems (God forbid) you may encounter use the radio station channel 16. Adriatic is full of ports, ships, inhabited places and it is my impression that they are organized well and there is a strong sense of solidarity among people on sea and living out of it.

6.) Do learn your boat and where are the safety tools. You should go through procedure of boat acknowledgment with the renting company, ask everything! Bengal fire, fire distinguisher, engine location, and something that I recomend - the reserve helm pole and where you can plug it.

7.) While on sailboat with sails on you have the advantage of any boat except of the fish boats that are pulling nets. They must, however, have a proper signaling (the triangles) but this is something that is international standard and you should know from before.
However, you might experience that ferryboats are not always respecting this (or maybe they don't see you) - so you better take care.

If I remember anything else - I will post here.

Good luck!
pjosip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:32   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi Pjosip... haven't sailed over there since the early eighties but the info you provided and local knowledge you shared is most helpful to anyone planning on sailing the Adriatic. Posts like yours make CF a valuable and informative site... many thanks... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi Pjosip... haven't sailed over there since the early eighties but the info you provided and local knowledge you shared is most helpful to anyone planning on sailing the Adriatic. Posts like yours make CF a valuable and informative site... many thanks... cheers, Capt Phil

Thanks Capt Phil!

I am glad if I could be of any help. I am not a professional sailor or yachtsman but a recreative type. More like a tourist that likes sailing.

I am particularly sensibilized about the subject of security on boat and sailing, probably because I have friends that I am sailing with, are somewhat opposite of me.

I never sailed any other sea than Adriatic, and that's one of the reasons why are we taken this trip to Greece.

I did talk to different foreign people when on dock or in marinas and in general they like sailing on Adriatic. They consider it both, beatifull and chalenging.

I also heard people asking what kind of sea (or ocean, as Americans would say) is that - there are no waves?! Even on the most peacefull day - every other sea is in motion but not always Adriatic. In deed, Adriatic can be somewhat deceiving, it goes still as if it was a lake. Not a single rip on sea surface.
However, it has it's orcanic Bora, Jugo, Pulenat and Lebić (the western wind during summer) that makes that peaceful and idylic scene a thing of past once they take over.

In general, Adriatic is "safe". There are few cases of serious consequences and it almost always turned out that peole were pushing their luck. I say, respect the sea but donot be afraid even of some things that look like a sudden storm. We have expression for that as well - neverin, meaning "small storm"because "nevera" means storm. They come and go, again not more than half an hour, you will only feel better once the adrenaline rush goes down.

Look at me, I am speaking here about storms on Adriatic and it might happen that you don't evenget a decent wind for sailing. Don't be surprised with that, too. I know that I don't mind - in times like that we go visit some ports that never visited before, find caffe bars that stay on all night and have fun. Becuase that's what is all for, the way I see it - fun.

I am also on your disposal here for your questions about interesting spots, islands and their restaurants to recommend, caffes, things to see and feel and maybe some fishing advice
Old 26-02-2011, 13:43   #7

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Thanks, Pjosip.... good information. We have a charter booked (Split back to Split) in July and are looking forward to some good sailing and some lovely scenery. Four pretty adequate sailors but we mostly sail on Lake Ontario, and things like anchoring so as to to avoid dragging in a Bora are less common. (The Bora, in fact, is non-existent.) With luck, we'll figure it out.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've sailed around Split, Brac, and Hvar, but not in April. Don't miss Korcula and Staroe Mesto while you're there.

Dockhead, I used to own a restaurant on the other side of old town Korcula just across that channel.
Old 26-02-2011, 14:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Thanks, Pjosip.... good information. We have a charter booked (Split back to Split) in July and are looking forward to some good sailing and some lovely scenery. Four pretty adequate sailors but we mostly sail on Lake Ontario, and things like anchoring so as to to avoid dragging in a Bora are less common. (The Bora, in fact, is non-existent.) With luck, we'll figure it out.

Connemara

If you are in for more night life then go to city of Hvar. If you would more like to see the history, architecture then go to Milna (island Brac) which 10miles from Split, Stari Grad (island Hvar), and Vis (city of Vis and Komiza).
But the best maybe to experience both together with swimming. I am a computer programmer and I use every chance to go into sea. can not beleive how well the sea water envigorates human body. It does to me what a reset does to a computer. My memory completely refreshes and I perform generally quicker and better .
Another thing we are blessed with Adriatic is that there are no those dangerous creatures. Well, maybe there exist some but in last 50 years they counted 3 cases. Every year there is cca 10 million tourists so calculate yourself what are the chances.

All of these places are on the southern route from Split and the farest one is cca. 50 n/miles away (Komiza).

As for the anchoring. The real question is if you will even get a chance to do it in July.

But anyway, you can practice in some deserted bay. We are doing it this way: While compensating on engine to be as still as possible turn the bow in the direction of wind, release the anchor (you want make a mistake if you release twice of the depth) remove the power slowly from engine and let wind pushes the boat away untill the anchor catches on and chain tightens.
Old 26-02-2011, 14:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjosip View Post
Dockhead, I used to own a restaurant on the other side of old town Korcula just across that channel.
An amazingly beautiful place. I have very fond memories of sitting in some outdoor restaurant high up in the old town looking out over that channel. One of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:29   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Here is something I put together a few years ago
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
An amazingly beautiful place. I have very fond memories of sitting in some outdoor restaurant high up in the old town looking out over that channel. One of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion.

This is the view from "my" side of the channel. You can see the old town of Korcula in upper part of picture. The church tower. "My" restaurant was just behind that cost tip on this side of channel.

Old 26-02-2011, 14:44   #13

Excellent video Ram!

It actually presents a summer sailing atmosphere very good.

A sun, some wind (basically an empty sail), still sea and ports.

Let me quote a croatian tourist slogan:

"Mediterrean as it once was".

They have recently came up with a new one that I like:

"A naturall stress killer".
Old 26-02-2011, 15:25   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

pjosip, welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your local knowledge. My wife and I where able to visit Dubrovnik a few years ago on a cruise and plan to return with our boat. What a beautiful place. When I'm done with my route it would be nice if you would review the Montenegro and Croatian segment for me.

Ram, thanks for the video.
Old 26-02-2011, 23:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
pjosip, welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your local knowledge. My wife and I where able to visit Dubrovnik a few years ago on a cruise and plan to return with our boat. What a beautiful place. When I'm done with my route it would be nice if you would review the Montenegro and Croatian segment for me.

Ram, thanks for the video.

Hello Pallaran!

Yes, Dubrovnik is beloved by the tourists. It is preserved, it hasn't change much since the middle ages and person can sense the atmosphere by standing there of what it was like at that time.

But there are other places as well. Dockhead mentioned Korcula for which I heard they call "mini Dubrovnik", the city of Trogir is also in the UN world heritage site list. Split, Zadar... In the northern Adriatic - Pula is historical site. There is also a Brijuni archipelago with wild animals sanctaury where they run free.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - the tides differences in Adriatic are minimal. Not more than half a meter (like 2 feet?) for most of the year.

Tags
adriatic