Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 21:14   #1
cruiser

Adriatic Squad

I'd like to begin a sub-forum/blog on all things Adriatic to include places to visit, free anchorages, nice marinas, meet ups, weather, navigation, communications, shipyards... you name it.

We'll be spending our entire 2017 six month cruising season mostly in Croatia and Montenegro, and would enjoy meeting up with as many CF members in the beautiful anchorages as possible. So if you happen to find yourself passing by, please post something on this thread. I'll arrive in San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy on April 30th for a 3-4 week stay, then Pam arrives the first week in June and we'll cruise down into Croatia for the summer. Please send me a PM if you're in the area, or just chime in and other members will help you out. I also plan to become a regular participant on the Croatia thread.

Places to eat, where to buy stuff, boat repairs... anything goes! Everyone is welcome.

With over 1300 islands in the Adriatic, it'll be a great summer exploring Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro and Albania.

Cheers

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.PNG
Views:	728
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	146340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	146341  

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	146342  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 15:26   #2
cruiser

Re: Adriatic Squad

I'm here in San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy 80km east of Venice for the next thirty days. If you're in the area please drop me a note, let's get together.

Ken
Old 18-06-2017, 12:02   #3
cruiser

We are in and around Split, Croatia for a couple of weeks, then onto Montenegro. Please drop us a pm if around and you want to meet up.
Old 18-06-2017, 13:17   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

My favorite stomping grounds , dont forget to visit Stomorska , wonderfull little village on the Island of Solta , you can anchor out just in front of the entrance to the village (in line with the beach/breakwater)

alternatively you can try the other side of the island , just below Maslinica is a wonderful little spot called 'Sesula' , go all the way in and anchor there (or free mooring for a meal at the konoba on the port side as you enter Sesula)
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 13:21   #5
cruiser

Thanks, we will check it out.
Old 24-06-2017, 11:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hello and welcome to Croatia . Nice to see a topic about people in Adriatic. I will be sailing around Dubrovnik region in one week from now, so if you are around Dubrovnik let me know. I could recommend a nice bay on Island of Šipan in front of Luka Šipanska (north).

I invite you to check out my website about Adriatic lighthouses built during Austro-Hungarian empire. You can find couple of nice videos and if you are interesting in knowing more about it let me know

‘Legends of The Light’ Trailer – Lux Mediterannium
blazeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:36   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
My favorite stomping grounds , dont forget to visit Stomorska , wonderfull little village on the Island of Solta , you can anchor out just in front of the entrance to the village (in line with the beach/breakwater)

alternatively you can try the other side of the island , just below Maslinica is a wonderful little spot called 'Sesula' , go all the way in and anchor there (or free mooring for a meal at the konoba on the port side as you enter Sesula)
We have the entire anchorage to ourselves.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	150648  
Old 25-06-2017, 10:40   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeog View Post
Hello and welcome to Croatia . Nice to see a topic about people in Adriatic. I will be sailing around Dubrovnik region in one week from now, so if you are around Dubrovnik let me know. I could recommend a nice bay on Island of Šipan in front of Luka Šipanska (north).

I invite you to check out my website about Adriatic lighthouses built during Austro-Hungarian empire. You can find couple of nice videos and if you are interesting in knowing more about it let me know

‘Legends of The Light’ Trailer – Lux Mediterannium
I'll be slowly working my way to Dubrovnik over the next two weeks on my way down to Montenegro. Please let me know if you're still in the area.
Old 25-06-2017, 11:11   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Around Split, a wealth of interesting places -- Hvar, Korcula, Stary Grad, Pakleva Islands. Just beware that the seabed is horribly foul in Hvar, should you decide to anchor there. If I had the chance to do it over again, I believe I would go bows to the quay.

Edit: For nostalgia's sake, I just opened the Hvar Harbor website. Wow, things have changed there! No more anchoring out. Mooring to the quay costs 79 euros (!) excluding power and even water (!). Yikes.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 11:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We have the entire anchorage to ourselves.

Thanks
great spot , now I am jealous
Old 25-06-2017, 12:59   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Around Split, a wealth of interesting places -- Hvar, Korcula, Stary Grad, Pakleva Islands. Just beware that the seabed is horribly foul in Hvar, should you decide to anchor there. If I had the chance to do it over again, I believe I would go bows to the quay.

Edit: For nostalgia's sake, I just opened the Hvar Harbor website. Wow, things have changed there! No more anchoring out. Mooring to the quay costs 79 euros (!) excluding power and even water (!). Yikes.
The Ultra digs in just fine when other anchors fail. Even today we watched as three catamarans dragged and left the anchorage, so I snokeled over and watched as my wife properly dug in the Ultra to the gravely bottom. Technique and having the right anchor for the job.

We have our own private little anchorage cove just outside Hvar all to ourselves.
Old 25-06-2017, 13:42   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Tell us more about Stary Grad and the Pakleva Islands.

You are right about anchoring, we're always vigilant and snorkel dive just to make sure. The bottoms can be rocky and the plow type anchors are somewhat useless around here. When we back up after dropping the Ultra, I always have one hand on the chain to feel for dragging across rock.
Old 25-06-2017, 14:21   #13

Quote:
Tell us more about Stary Grad
Last year Stari Grad marina was completely renovated , with both sides of the bay now used for mooring and I doubt you can anchor in the town (last year I was sent away because it was full even though a Bora was blowing) but just in front before you enter there are 2 anchorages on port side and 1 little one starbord side

the town itself is nice and I would recommend visiting an old house where a famous croatian writer / poet / merchant lived, wonderful and tranquil garden is open to the public after a small fee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 23.09.28.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	150672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 23.18.43.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	150673  

Old 25-06-2017, 14:42   #14

I dont know the pakleva islands ?, but across from Hvar town there's the paklinski / pakleni island , across from the ACI palmizana (which I stay away from) is a great anchorage , its still early in the season so it may not have mooring balls (yet) but you can always anchor on the side and put a line out to land
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 23.38.03.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	150676  
Old 25-06-2017, 20:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The Ultra digs in just fine when other anchors fail. Even today we watched as three catamarans dragged and left the anchorage, so I snokeled over and watched as my wife properly dug in the Ultra to the gravely bottom. Technique and having the right anchor for the job.

We have our own private little anchorage cove just outside Hvar all to ourselves.
Pakleva islands, opposite Hvar? Or whatever they are called -- where they used to varnish ships in ancient times. We anchored out there too -- gloriously beautiful places.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adriatic