Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 20:32   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Adriatic Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Tell us more about Stary Grad and the Pakleva Islands.

You are right about anchoring, we're always vigilant and snorkel dive just to make sure. The bottoms can be rocky and the plow type anchors are somewhat useless around here. When we back up after dropping the Ultra, I always have one hand on the chain to feel for dragging across rock.
Stary Grad was very lovely and less full of tourists than Hvar, which gets tourist day tripper boats. The town is very old (the name means "Old Town") and has an interesting waterfront. We moored to a buoy which was free and dinghied in. No doubt that has all changed now -- that was many years ago, in the early 2000's.

Pakleva Islands have a number of anchorable coves but mostly very deep water so you need a lot of chain. Mostly wilderness but with a couple of beach resorts. Nice place to wander around. Quiet.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 23:26   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Stari Grad is much as Dockhead except it now has more visitors and they charge for the buoys. Even so, its one of our favourite spots. There are fewer buoys now since they renovated the quays on the north and south sides. Selection of provisioning stores and a really good hardware shop that also sells outboards and dinghies and few bits of chandlery. Palmizana gas place that will fill lpg bottles.
Zavala bay on the north side of the estuary is beautiful with a few buoys and good shelter. It seems ok to anchor at the head of the bay with a line ashore also.
Opposite Zavala on the south side of Stari Grad estuary is the ferry port with a large Tommy supermarket. You can anchor off or go alongside in the eastern inner bit for a short while.
The Pakleni islands are attractive but victims of there own success. Our favourite was Vinogradisce bay on the south side, which now has buoys with the downside that it is a now a magnet for large power boats, they were not so keen on anchoring before. It gets rammed most days except Friday night and early on Sat before the new crop of charterers hit the place. We go to Zori restaurant there, which is expensive, but really beautiful and immaculate surroundings, food and service. Tarse bay a little along is anchoring and is quiet and pretty. Generally the Pakleni are pretty busy.
Currently, we are in Vis on a buoy along with it seems just about every charter boat in Dalmatia. Thinking of heading to north coast of Hvar and then north coast of Brac which are quieter
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 00:27   #18
cruiser

Another very nice quality of the Adriatic coast is that we sail nearly everywhere. Very few times have we needed to motor from place to place.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 13:16   #19
cruiser

I'm anchored near Vrboska, Hvar if anyone's in the area. About 20 minutes by bicycle from Stari Grad. This place is amazing.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05   #20

Boat: Lagoon 42

there seem to be a good number of free anchorages on this website

Croatia Anchorages - Southern Croatia

I stayed at a few of them and know many others described on the site and it seems to be up to date and accurate
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:10   #21
cruiser

Thanks, added it to my ipad homepage.

I've been using the Croatia government site which shows mooring buoy sites and comparing to inavx charts and google earth to find the many free anchorages. So far with excellent success.
Old 11-07-2017, 22:36   #22
cruiser

I will be just outside of Curzola (Korcula), Croatia around 2pm today for a two day stay if anyone's around.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ken, a short note of fuel & gas prices for your collected info.

Diesel at Umag/Istria: Kn8.20/l (about €1.10 instead of some of the crazy prices like €1.30-1.50). The fuel quay also serves road traffic so has same price.

Gas at Novigrad/Istria : There is a large gas plant about 2Km from the port. I saw about 2-3,000 cylinders there. Kn40 taxi x 2 + wait Kn25 for 10 mins while they filled my 4 cylinders at Kn14/kg. Plant is called Butan Plin. I used Taxi "Poletto" +385 98 980 6498. It is so close you could walk but who wants to carry heavy refilled cylinders all the way back to the boat? (which i could not do anyway bec i had 4 and was solo)

Chandler at Cervar Porat/Istria: excellent stock of all sorts of items at "Navigatore", the first shop you bump into along the quay from the port.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26   #24
cruiser

We'll fill up in Montenegro in a couple of weeks where the fuel last season was well below 95cents per liter. But I was surprised by the great price of fuel in Sibnik, Croatia two weeks ago at €1.05 per liter, so we picked up 250 liters, so now I'm sitting here with 500 liters still in the tank, 250 remains from last seasons fill up in Montenegro.

Not using as much since we added the solar panels. These are like US prices for diesel.
Old 15-07-2017, 09:12   #25
cruiser

I'm anchored at Zanton just north of Dubrovnik until Monday.. If you're in the neighborhood, please send a pm.

Ken
Old 22-07-2017, 02:33   #26
cruiser

Just dropped anchor off Kotor, Montenegro, and will be here for the next 11 days. Stop by and say hello if you're around this beautiful area.
Old 11-08-2017, 22:31   #27
cruiser

Anchored in Korcula for the day, then moving on to Vrboska, Hvar for two days.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:42   #28

Re: Adriatic Squad Marina Frapa

Just bought a 2003 Beneateu 393 at Marina Frapa, Rogoznica, I would say the Marina is on the high end price wise but it is very clean with Toilets and Hot Showers and laundry, Numerous Restaurants, and a small well stocked food shop.

The Marina has bands on most nights and a excellent swimming pool.

The is a small tractor train that runs every evening to the town, with many well priced restaurants and craft fairs in the evening.

Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:54   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ken, good to hv seen you and your able crew. Many tks again for Kent's help. I tried S bay of Spanish but when I got there (1800) it was full. Spent a rather roll night at N bay of Ruda but Lopid would hv been better. I arrived Cavtat at 1100 today. Now I hv to tidy the boat before picking up the admiral Monday.

Maybe we meet again in Sept while I make my way back to Venice.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27   #30
cruiser

It was very nice to meet you Andrew. We put Kent to work on our boat today replacing an anode, and last evening the two of us rebuilt the main sail swivel. He's very handy to have onboard.

Tags
adriatic