Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 13:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
A Shengen Update please...

I have been happily sailing the French Med coast since last March (2014) quite oblivious to the Shengen requirements. I have a vague memory of being advised as an Australian I was exempt from it.

Is this in fact true?

Have I lost the plot on this one?

Obviuosly I am well over the 90 days.

From a previous thread -

Nationals NOT Requiring a Schengen Visa for Stays of Up to 90 Days

Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the United States, Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: A Shengen Update please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordByron View Post
I have been happily sailing the French Med coast since last March (2014) quite oblivious to the Shengen requirements. I have a vague memory of being advised as an Australian I was exempt from it.

Is this in fact true?

From a previous thread -

Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the United States, Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

Dockhead can give you all the latest information. Aside from also being affected by these rules - he is a lawyer. If no one else answers authoritatively - you should PM him

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:19   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Is this in fact true?

From a previous thread -

You are not required to have a schengen visa in advance. , that's what the exemption means , you are obliged however to abide by the Schengen rules ie 90 days in 180

Australians do have some bilateral long stay treaties with some EU countries.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31   #4

Thanks Dave.

But can I further show my ignorance and ask, what do I do now?

I am based in Monaco for the next couple of months having just arrived from France.

I will eventually be heading onto Italy. So far no one has been in the slightest bit interested in my passport. I flew to London for Xmas and returned via Nice. No one looked at my passport from memory.

Will my problems (if I do nothing) begin when I start checking into new countries (eg. Italy) with my yacht?

Greg
Old 10-01-2015, 02:51   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

But can I further show my ignorance and ask, what do I do now?

I am based in Monaco for the next couple of months having just arrived from France.

I will eventually be heading onto Italy. So far no one has been in the slightest bit interested in my passport. I flew to London for Xmas and returned via Nice. No one looked at my passport from memory.

Will my problems (if I do nothing) begin when I start checking into new countries (eg. Italy) with my yacht?

Greg

Not much you can do now. Just keep on as before. You must look honest !

If you have been in one country , generally they can't detect overstays. The UK isn't in schengen so it doesn't care. Sometimes ( I've used nice a lot ) airports don't check very hard

As the saying goes you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!

Dave

Old 10-01-2015, 06:25   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Last time we were in France, near the callanques the Duane boarded us and counted the days in. My Aussie passport and politely reminded me I had 20 days remaining to be in the schengen zone. I never check in and out of Eu countries but heading from Italy to Montenegro had I check out when I was over 90 days with no problem. Same this year when leaving Spain for the Caribbean after staying 6 months in schengen. Luck of the draw I guess, and some countries are more welcoming/ slacker than others. Portugal is the worse I've come across with immigration officers usually at a desk inside marina offices or nearby and quite militant..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Asking a question myself...

Would he not be well advised to go straight to Turkey or other nonEU country for 90 days?

Fix it before it becomes an issue?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:02   #8

Boat: CUSTOM BUILD, 50' ALUM. PILOT HOUSE CUTTER

My experience is that Australians are not exempt.
Some countries get around the restrictions by not date stamping passports, ie Italy. Some less commercial savvy countries stick to the agreement rigidly.
The Dutch have just introduced a policy where your stay in Holland is not counted as part of the 'Shengen time'...no doubt for sound commercial reasons.
This could be the thin edge of the wedge and the demise of Shengen (hopefully).
There is an Ozzy canal cruising group, 'Canal Capers', who keep a close eye on Shengen, you could check with them on current requirements.
I recently had an unfortunate experience in Noumea when I overstayed my 3mth visa by 13 days, as a result of having to make some boat repairs, parts being delayed etc. No excuses are acceptable...apparently.
Good luck!
JAYEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:28   #9

Still trying to get my head around this visa issue.

In simple terms. Once you've stayed the 90 days, you must leave for 90 days?

Is that correct?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:47   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:56   #11

Thanks Monte.

You legend.

Yes!

Short and sweet. And no lecture attached.
Old 10-01-2015, 14:41   #12

Boat: CUSTOM BUILD, 50' ALUM. PILOT HOUSE CUTTER

I think it says that you cannot stay more than 3 mths in ANY 6 mth period.
This prevents you from stringing 2 x 3mth periods together, by checking in and out and doing some cleaver maths.
You can only go to a non-EU country, like Turkey for instance, in your exclusion time.
You may also find some advantage (re; import duty issues) in a temporary 're-flagging' to a UK vessel, which can be done on internet.
To me the whole thing is just too stupid for words, they should all be fighting over the 'cruising dollars', not discouraging/excluding them.
I guess the non-EU countries are laughing though.
JAYEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 15:04   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:

Is this in fact true?

From a previous thread -

Since arriving in Europe (Portugal) in 2013 we have had no trouble with any clearing in. We anchor out most of the time. The marinas I have been into take passport details etc but no stamps. I tried to clear in at Sardinia after leaving winter in Spain (didn't clear out of Spain) and just got blank looks when I enquired about clearing in. Same story in sicily, Italy. We went to Albania for a week and entered Greece from there. Apart from the usual paper shuffle runaround there wasn't any issue. Clearing out of Greece I was scrutinised as their new cruising tax kicks in after 3 months. I needed to clear out of Greece and hand back my cruising book within 3 months so that I didn't incur a tax. I believe you can stop the 3 month clock if you winter in Greece. It was all about tax. Not about staying in Schengen 90/180. I think it is worthwhile going to a non Schengen country whenever possible. Albania is lovely. We are non EU boat and passport.
This will be the 3rd year in EU.
A big smile and asking for forgiveness... not approval always goes a long way.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 17:27   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYEN1 View Post
My experience is that Australians are not exempt.

Some countries get around the restrictions by not date stamping passports, ie Italy. Some less commercial savvy countries stick to the agreement rigidly.

The Dutch have just introduced a policy where your stay in Holland is not counted as part of the 'Shengen time'...no doubt for sound commercial reasons.

This could be the thin edge of the wedge and the demise of Shengen (hopefully).

There is an Ozzy canal cruising group, 'Canal Capers', who keep a close eye on Shengen, you could check with them on current requirements.

I recently had an unfortunate experience in Noumea when I overstayed my 3mth visa by 13 days, as a result of having to make some boat repairs, parts being delayed etc. No excuses are acceptable...apparently.

Good luck!

Re changes to Schengen , I haven't heard of any changes in holland , have you a reference

Old 11-01-2015, 01:54   #15

Boat: FP Helia 44

Word on the street is Schengen time is changing to 12 months in, but cannot stay over 90 days in one country, hopefully this will be past and implemented in 2015. It's hard as an Aussie live aboard to abide by the 90 in 90 out if your not returning home.
Jeffrey Oc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease