Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2015, 04:41   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: A Shengen Update please...

G'day Jeff! How's the med treating you ?

Regarding special rules for holland, I haven't heard of anything special there, however I read that Denmark has a special policy for Australians and maybe some other nationalities whereby

90 days every six months, regardless of whether they have stayed in another Schengen area country (except the other Nordic countries) prior to entry into Denmark.[183] If visitors from Australia spend any amount of time in Denmark and/or the other Nordic countries in the first 90 days of their visa exempt period according to the Schengen agreement, they cannot claim the following 90 days visa exempt period for Denmark and the Nordic countries.[184]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_...alian_citizens

Now that's Wikipedia so not an official source. Maybe there's something in it, maybe not...

Old 11-01-2015, 05:27   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

It's 90 days in every 180 days, so as you've already exceeded your 90 days in, you would have to vacate the Schengen area for 180 days before you can spend another 90 days. From all reports here on CF, the restriction applies to Aussies too.

Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:49   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Oc View Post
Word on the street is Schengen time is changing to 12 months in, but cannot stay over 90 days in one country, hopefully this will be past and implemented in 2015. It's hard as an Aussie live aboard to abide by the 90 in 90 out if your not returning home.
Now that makes a lot more sense to me. Fingers crossed.

I'd love to hear from other liveaboards as to how they get around this Shengen issue.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:54   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
I'd love to hear from other liveaboards as to how they get around this Shengen issue.
I think for the most part we curse it & abide by the rules.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 18:57   #20
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

for me with 3 years in the schengen zone
year one - french visa for 1 yr so no worries except getting a french visa is a pain in the ass, a bit expensive (say $1000)
year two - first four months in schengen (overstayed a bit but no worries) next few month Montenegro and Croatia, so out of the zone, then back in the zone for a few months (Italy France)
year three - applied for a French visa but it took way too long and by the time my appointment in France came around I was in Portugal so I deferred it, ended up in the zone for 6 months before departing with no issues. The Spanish, especially Canary Islands seem pretty casual about it.
I think flying out of the schengen zone at least every 3 month would work out ok (as in UK) as theyre less likely to go back past your last entry when counting days. Most cruisers plan their sailing to work in with it by visiting Montenegro, Albania, Turkey and used to be Croatia but now its in the zone. Dont sweat it too much and enjoy the French wine and cheese!
BTW I think an immigration guy told Jeff Oc he just had to leave for a day to reset the schengen clock, so even they dont know the rules.. (thats the rule for VAT)
Old 11-01-2015, 19:38   #21
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Oc View Post
Word on the street is Schengen time is changing to 12 months in, but cannot stay over 90 days in one country, hopefully this will be past and implemented in 2015. It's hard as an Aussie live aboard to abide by the 90 in 90 out if your not returning home.

There is a proposal being developed for a long stay tourist visa. 12 months in the EU with limits per country. You will have to apply in your home country and there will be criteria.

However it requires modification to the treaty and unanimous approval. Some countries would like to see the extension of the Schengen Information system to SIS-3 before agreeing.

We shall see how it fairs.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 02:20   #22

Boat: FP Helia 44

G'day Rob, congratulations on the crossing...we followed with keen interest...at present we are in Italy( they don't seem too concerned with Schengen ) we are heading to Tunisia 1st up then Greece and reset the Schengen clock with a winter in Turkey. We found quiet a few American, Canadian and Aussies who all run the gauntlet regarding Schengen and some have quiet elaborate plans to keep legal...the easiest being leave then come back in.
Say hi to Jen
Old 12-01-2015, 04:01   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordByron View Post
Now that makes a lot more sense to me. Fingers crossed.

after our crossing in 2013 we ran a bit over, 3 wks or so, and we were in sardinia checking out and customs took the passports and diappeared with them. the wx was terrible and had been for a week, 50k on and off. so when they returned they were quite serious and asked our next port and i said port yasmine tunisia and he said non schengrebn ok and stamped us out.

this past year we spent 60+ days out of schengren and knew we had 25 days left when we checked back in at venice. the police said ok you have 90 days in schengren. we knew better but were not about to mention it. we had boat problems and had a breakdown in brindisi and got delayed and the some really bad weather hit us a couple of times and we had to sit in malta to wait out a major blow and decided not to check out there as the maltanese were british and may do a complete review of our paasports which if you put the right days together shows we were about 30 days over so we decided to go to lambedua and check out there. the police took our passport and began to ask questions on how we got there and saw all the stamps in the passport including those from the caribbean. they had some trouble figuring it out and disappeared again with them and gone for 30-45 minutes but came back with them stamped.
next spring we are sailing to sciliy and then over to albania and maybe some inland travel outside schengren then to greece and eventually to turkey for the winter.
it seems the more stamps the more likely you will get by. we have also been told to avoid airports, especially gremany, as the airport officals really do count days and we know for a fact that they do in tunisia.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:03   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is a proposal being developed for a long stay tourist visa. 12 months in the EU with limits per country. You will have to apply in your home country and there will be criteria.

However it requires modification to the treaty and unanimous approval. Some countries would like to see the extension of the Schengen Information system to SIS-3 before agreeing.

We shall see how it fairs.

Dave

i will beleve it when i see it is done. until then it is pie in the sky and the recent paris issue may not be a positive contribution to help get this done.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:21   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
it seems the more stamps the more likely you will get by. we have also been told to avoid airports, especially gremany, as the airport officals really do count days and we know for a fact that they do in tunisia.
I think it's the luck of the draw.

I have been way over the limit in Schengen continuously since last July. I went to the trouble to get a Finnish residence permit in case of trouble. But since going over the limit, I sailed through several more Schengen countries, and got boarded and checked twice, where passports were the main item of interest. Since getting the boat back to the UK, I fly in and out of Schengen almost every week, through various Schengen countries. Have not had a single case of anyone counting days and have not needed to show the residence permit. They just stamp my passport and wave me through.

Which is not a recommendation to anyone to break the rules. They may not be enforced very often, but the consequences are really unpleasant if you get caught. Smiling and playing dumb is unlikely to save you, if you get caught.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:52   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Has anyone on this forum actually been nabbed for being over AND suffered any penalties?

And I'm not asking if you know of anybody I'm really wanting to hear first hand. Less room for over embellishing then
Old 12-01-2015, 14:18   #27

Yes we got boarded in Portugal by the SEF coastal Gaurdia, after about an hour discussion and explaining that we tried for an extension, and were issued an appointment for 6 weeks outside our Schengen time,long story short they issued us a months extension and said Spain probably would honour it ( they didn't )
Just told to keep moving.
Old 12-01-2015, 14:24   #28

Oh yes we got pinged 2 euro for light tax which took two days to pay and a nice cert.
Old 13-01-2015, 00:42   #29

Here is a link for more info...European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - More flexible visa rules to boost growth and job creation
Old 13-01-2015, 02:09   #30
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It would look like they have qualified majority voting on this. That should speed up its adoption.

Dave

Tags
lease

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: