Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20   #166
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: 8 Years in the Med?

Even fifty years ago, the Eurail system only affected "Europe" as in the "The Continent" and never the UK. Bear in mind there were no rails from one to the other, only the ferries. And oddly enough the Chunnel didn't cause the predicted disaster in England, although all sorts of "foreigners" flocking back from the far-flung corners of the empire certainly changed the face of London forever.

But good lord, giving up the sovereignty of their rail system...that would be like putting a McDonald's in the Tower of London. And nowhere near as profitable.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07   #167
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

GWMort,
You can get an International Certificate of Competancy from ASA now. I don't think anyone will question that given your Nationality.

International Sailing Proficiency Certification for Chartering from ASA

I'm sure some of these guys will disagree, but in practice, you won't need more. In 3 months of cruising and having 3 seperate boardings and inspections in the Med, not once was I even asked for it. As on French team said "If you sailed your boat here, I'm sure you know how to sail".
Old 03-01-2013, 09:30   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
GWMort,
You can get an International Certificate of Competancy from ASA now. I don't think anyone will question that given your Nationality.

I'm sure some of these guys will disagree, but in practice, you won't need more. In 3 months of cruising and having 3 seperate boardings and inspections in the Med, not once was I even asked for it. As on French team said "If you sailed your boat here, I'm sure you know how to sail".
Its an inland waterways thing to use the canals for the Rhine-Main-Danube part of the trip (the CEVNI ext part), and really I'd want specific instruction on the rules of the road in those situations regardless of the requirements so I don't mind at all.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:42   #169

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: 8 Years in the Med ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
...snipped.....

edit: I have been looking recently at a Eurorail pass for my son (who is graduating college this year) and noticed UK wasn't included in the pass, is that because of Schengen too?
Many years ago I visited England and used a BritRail Pass. I think this was October 1994. The BritRail Pass had to be purchased while I was in the USA prior to the trip and was not connected with the EuroRail pass. The BritRail Pass could not be purchased after arrival in England. Haven't checked to see if that pass is still offered or not, but it made travel within England extremely easy. It included the Tube, trains and buses both in the countryside and within London proper. Great value and convenience provided for low cost.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58   #170
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm not sure if the answer in how you an spend 8 years in the Med has been given, but I guess I'll worry about that it some where down the line.

But I am curious; what happens to you if you exceed the time limit and are caught?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
But I am curious; what happens to you if you exceed the time limit and are caught?
The worst case would be a fine and prohibition from entering the EU for five years.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:27   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran
GWMort,

Just to say that's not the same as an ICC and can't be used in the inland waterways of Europe

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22   #173

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: 8 Years in the Med ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
edit: I have been looking recently at a Eurorail pass for my son (who is graduating college this year) and noticed UK wasn't included in the pass, is that because of Schengen too?
Don't buy a Eurail pass. It's a scam to separate unwary tourists from their money.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 14:42   #174

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=
Getting a US visa isn't particularly difficult. But the US imposes far more stringent reporting and check in rules for foreign sailors. It's understandable , sailing is not a common undertaking in the uS. , Europe has been dealing with sailors for millennium.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Its worse than you understand: Most of the idiots writing the rules have never been out of th US and have no basis of understanding any of the issues. They think foreign countries would be great places to visit if they wern't full of foreigners.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:17   #175
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" Most of the idiots ...think foreign countries would be great places to visit if they wern't full of foreigners. "

Well, isn't that the American Way? You emigrate to a foreign land, push the natives out or slaughter them, and then declare it a great place to be? Of course we can't claim that's exclusive, since all those emigrants came from someplace like, well, Europe, didn't they?

Not that the natives didn't occassionally have a good time slaughtering each other too.

What I can't understand is how so many US fast-food franchises have become so universally popular. The sight of a MacBurger franchise, the thought that the rubes have mistaken this for food...Surely there's a compromise between franchised food and chocolate chile insects?!
Old 09-01-2013, 16:20   #176

Boat: Able 50

It's lots of people's way. Plenty of Brits say the same things about Spain.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:27   #177
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Brits. Ah, yes, that would be folks from Brittany who, ah, pushed into certain isles and then eventually declared them to be Brit-ish Isles, and then declared Brittany to be a foreign place infested with Frenchmen, mais non? Or maybe not, seems like a lot of clans have trampled through there, and the only thing they all agree on is that Vikings always leave a mess when they leave.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:09   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

In case you didn't know, the Brits didn't join the EU; they still use Pounds & Pence and they don't necessarily follow EU laws or rules.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:25   #179

Boat: Able 50

Well I dunno. The doorman down there in Brussels still lets Nigel Farage into the building every morning even though Mr Van Rumpoy would prefer he be locked out. Maybe they're golf buddies or something.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:37   #180

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
In case you didn't know, the Brits didn't join the EU; they still use Pounds & Pence and they don't necessarily follow EU laws or rules.
Euh. In fact I do know that the Brits _did_ join the EU, and are even one of it's more loyal members...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, retirement