Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2018, 13:37   #1

Boat: J/42
LiIon Proliferation

"Lithium Ion Battery. Transport on Plane or Vessel Prohibited."
Yep, received another one today. This one is 6 Amp-hours! Phones, drones, laptops, power tools, etc. etc. Yeah, the failure rate is one in a million-ish. What if you have a million-ish of them on board?

As much as I hate power cords, I'm starting to wonder whether the safer (and cheaper) strategy might have been to power everything off of the boat's battery bank, instead of all these little independently powered devices that seem to be proliferating on board.

Should I start thinking about segregated storage for them? What does sea air do to a power tool battery? A brick with six amp-hours in it could do a lot of damage. On the other hand, it could probably start the engine in a pinch!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 19:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: LiIon Proliferation

Not too long ago there was a very large Swan that burned in a Marina, it had just come across the Atlantic I believe.
They were pretty sure what started the fire was a crewman was charging their cell phone.
It happens.
When I was flying model aircraft, we started charging the batteries in a large Corning ware dish with glass cover, you can also buy bags that are fireproof for these batteries.
Then I knew a cave diver who set the Cadillac Motel on fire with his home brew Lipo Dive scooter battery
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:25   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: LiIon Proliferation

Yes, this is why LFP is the only non-lead chemistry suitable for House batt usage.

The little portable gadget units, at least you can easily take such measures to minimize risks.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote