Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 04:53   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
BMS-Batmon

Is anyone familiar with these Battery Monitors? The system looks well built, with very good support options, good choices for cell monitors, options for contactors and relays, support of canbus, connection to Victron devices, connection and control of various chargers, support of lifepo and others. There are some examples of very big systems in the photos.

I think they have the best support arrangement I have seen. Hourly rate, and they detail what they need to provide good support. This company appears to be committed to providing systems that work and good support to customers. This is a big difference from being tossed some components and having to decipher foreign manuals.

I wonder if they would be appropriate for smaller systems however.

https://support.batrium.com/category/205-videos

How to Control Victron CCGX with Watchmon

Found via this post https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/495
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 10:15   #2

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II
Re: BMS-Batmon

I looked at them but did not seem as flexible as REC nor as simple. Their website gave me the feel of buying a new car warranty. I was looking for a system where I don't need support, I just want it to work. Just my two cents.

I bought 2 REC BMS units and have them programmed identically in case we take a BMS failure. REC has a nice plug in harness to make the swap easy.

The other thing I liked about the REC is they have CANBus support for Victron HW.

Personally, if I was not technically curious and wanted good support, I would just write the big check and go all Victron. Victron will be my next inverter charger.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:41   #3

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431
Re: BMS-Batmon

I have a Batrium BMS system installed. It is very flexible and can be programmed to suit almost in any need. In theory. What I found out was:
- they have a lot of errors in their manuals, even some serious ones. Expansion board outputs dont match the real world, etc...I’ve informed them about 18 months ago, no reaction nor correction.
- the output for the latching relays should be a short pulse, their system uses continuous current which is harmful in the long run to the bipolar relays of course as their coils warm up.
- their mosfet outputs can handle only quite smallish currents, not enough for controlling a BlueSea 12V 500A latching relay.

Afterall I found a setup where any continuous warning signals just separates the LFP from the LA (which is always in the circuit when power is on) using motorized 500A switches and a critical event disconnects the big latching relay for the LFP:s immediately.
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote