Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
Privilege 435 - Help Needed

Firstly, please accept my apologies. I have recently purchased a damaged Privilege 435 and am in the process of refitting it. I have never sailed before and do not know all the correct terms, so please forgive my ignorance.

Question; The standing rigging comes to the side of each hull where it attaches to a mental plate amidships which is bolted to the side of the hull. This plate is about a foot high, 3/4" thick and sticks up past the side of the hull by a few inches. On my boat, both plates are slightly bent inwards and I cannot find out if it was made this way or if they were bent when my boat lost it's mast at sea. The bend has not even cracked the chrome coating. Are there any Privilege owners out there that can tell me whether or not these plates should be straight? It's going to be quite a job to unbolt them, but once I have done this, getting them straightened shouldn't prove to be too difficult. (If they have been bent; it must have been some serious forces pulling on them).

Thanks in advance,

David
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54   #2

David,
Don't straighten them, they are supposed to be bent so that they are in line with the shroud that goes up to the mast head. They are stainless steel BTW, not chrome plated.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 22:14   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
Yep, the chainplates are supposed to be like that...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 22:55   #4

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
You say the boat was dismasted while at sea?might be a good idea to get those chainplates thoroughly checked by an expert, who knows what sort of forces were exerted on them that they weren't designed for but no they're not meant to be straight.
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:18   #5

Boat: Privilege 435
Thanks guys; I appreciate your help. One less thing to do on my list.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:59   #6

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435
Re: Privilege 435 - Help Needed

I am investigating a known cause for dismastings which have pleagued PRIVILEGE catamarans , .. and theatens my own P435..
Can you tell me more about the dismasting of your catamaran , I presume while owned by its previous owner.
Could you give me the name and coordinates of this previous owner who might be willing to help me with the detailes circumstances of his dismasting.?
Old 19-09-2018, 02:37   #7

I am investigating multiple dismastings of Privilege cats , caused in my opinion by a rig design fault.
Could you help me get from the previous owner the detailed circumstances of his dismasting.
Make sure, the design fault has been corrected on your new rig.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Independant diamonds break masts 8-5-18.pdf (553.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 19:50   #8

Boat: Privilege 435, 44 ft

I have a Privilege 435 built 2005. I’m concerned by the rig issue mentioned. If anyone has had this rectified on their P435, I’d like to know how they went about getting this done, was it directly with MARECHAL or was it through Privilege?
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:17   #9

I wrote to MARECHAL MASTS and sent them my analysis of their faulty rig.
They did not respond until I asked Gilles Wagner, President of PRIVILEGE MARINE to tell their supplier to shape up.
MARECHAL conceded that their rig better be fixed (ie making diamond discontinuous at spreader tips so that internal and external diamonds cannot slip vis a vis one another) as they do it for their new rigs since 2018.
But our old rigs have non standard spreaders inasmuch as they have been cut, tapered and rewelded at spreader ends. As a result the speader tips cannot readily accomodate the fixture to which the discontinuous diamonds should be attached.
MARECHAL proposed tu study my case for a fee of 440 Euros + VAT.
+ the actual cost doing the job and supplying the parts,

I considered this outrageous as their faulty design is clearly responsible for a number of dismastings. (I counted 3 in 2018 without searching)

And could I bring my Boat to le Marin in Martinique for the job to be done by MARECHAL's agent . Which was totally inpractical, Le Marin being 1000 miles upwind from Guatemala.

I considered doing it myself in Guatemala by cuting the diamonds at spreadertips , fitting STA LOK terminals, and having the fixture machined and welded to the spreader tips.

Eventually I went the easy way by locking the internal & expernal diamonds together wiyh 3 cable ties around both cables at each spreader tip ( total 6 cables ties)
Old 16-04-2019, 05:27   #10

Boat: Privilege 435, 44 ft

Thanks for the response, I’ll review options for rectification.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege