Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 16:51   #46

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Sydney to Perth over top end of Australia

Had a quick look and didn't see a link to the Kimberley Coast Cruising Yacht Club. here Kimberley Coast Cruising Yacht Club | Kimberley Cruising – Adventure, Explore, Fish, Fun

Sorry if I missed it.

Fantastic source of information on what to see where to see it and how to get there, where to anchor, tides river entries crocks etc....

I lived in Darwin after the after TC Tracy and the crocks had respect then as the crocs remembered being shot at. Now the crocs have grown up without fear of people and don't have much respect for people other than a potential food source.

Don't swim off the boat anywhere, especially in rivers. Refer to the club site above for places to swim.

They have had a couple of inflatables punctured by crocks. I expect they will be ones left on the painter smelling like fish guts but I'm swapping out the inflatable for a tinny.

Looking forward to reading this in full tonight.
Old 11-06-2018, 16:56   #47

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Klaka View Post
Make sure you have the latest copy of the WA Cruising Guide, edition 5 (Dec 17). It is downlaodable for free at either https://www.fsc.com.au/onwater/publications/ or Western Australian Cruising Guide
Many of your questions are answered in it.
The only additional suggestion I have is to try to get to Fremantle before November, or you will probably have a 400 mile trip into 25-30 kn headwinds.
Happy (windward) sailing!
Kim (Guide Editor)
Fremantle
Hi Kim

Thanks for all the work on the WACG book, fantastic effort and much appreciated.

Dave
Old 11-06-2018, 20:11   #48

Boat: Beneteau First42

Cheers for the response guys much appreciated.
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 21:27   #49

Hi Gareth,

Are you still looking for crew ?

I have been Sailing for over 40 years Sailing on yachts , have a 28 footer yacht which I am selling so I can buy a bigger one ,and as first officer On tall ship, sails around Bass straight and to Tasmania .
Sailed to Sydney from Melboune

Working now as a ferry Captain in Melboune

Have a Master 5 , MED 3 , STCW 95

If you need to know more email me at gmarksnowden@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
Thanks for all the replies,

I will email Beneteau first and see what they advise in regards the the keel bolt. There is no signs of fracturing around the keel nor any issues when i got her surveyed/hull inspected before i purchased her. Yes she does have the liner on this b42 so makes in inspection slightly more difficult.

50nm per day average seems significant, but i intended on putting in some longer passages. Most of the NSW coast doesnt interest me, will only stop at Port Stephens then push on up to Fraser Island. Also between Thursday Island to the Northern Territory over the Gulf of Carpentaria in one go.

Since the tides are so massive i want good confidence in my holding capacity at anchor. Originally the previous owner had a horizontal windlass setup in the starboard anchor locker which looks terrible (have to reach over the windlass to feed the chain!!!), he said this windlass broke in Tahiti so was pulling up the anchor manually. That was never going to be an option for me (good exercise with 60m of chain but not a situation you want to be in when you can't pull up the anchor). Ive bought a new Muir Storm VRC2200 windlass which gives me good piece of mind. Im undecided which anchor to predominantly use as the boat has 2 options. A plough CQR which is a beast at around 50lb and a Bruce which is approx 25lb. Both are good for sand holding but doing a bit of research the Bruce seems to be the best option. Would you tend to agree??

PS im still looking for competent crew! I have an advert on findacrew but most of the people on there who have contacted me are novices looking for an adventure. Would love to have someone on board who has previous experience sailing of the north. Anyone keen??

Cheers

Gareth
Capt Chef Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 22:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Chef Mark View Post
Hi Gareth,

Are you still looking for crew ?

I have been Sailing for over 40 years Sailing on yachts , have a 28 footer yacht which I am selling so I can buy a bigger one ,and as first officer On tall ship, sails around Bass straight and to Tasmania .
Sailed to Sydney from Melboune

Working now as a ferry Captain in Melboune

Have a Master 5 , MED 3 , STCW 95

If you need to know more email me at gmarksnowden@hotmail.com
I will message you Mark
Old 12-06-2018, 23:59   #51

In my short cruising career I learned that you can not make enough preparation before a trip. Things will break and the weather can change quickly. I would plan to sail to Darwin and leave the boat there and go back next season to continue the delivery and have time to enjoy the Kimberlies.
On another matter I have heard of at least 3 Benetaus that have lost their keels, only hearsay but I would be very wary of those keel bolts. I have also seen a few instances where surveyors have missed some very dangerous cracks in fittings.
Just ask Tony Mowbray about his rigging problems during his Solo Global Challenge.
captncruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 00:45   #52

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by captncruise View Post
In my short cruising career I learned that you can not make enough preparation before a trip. Things will break and the weather can change quickly. I would plan to sail to Darwin and leave the boat there and go back next season to continue the delivery and have time to enjoy the Kimberlies.
On another matter I have heard of at least 3 Benetaus that have lost their keels, only hearsay but I would be very wary of those keel bolts. I have also seen a few instances where surveyors have missed some very dangerous cracks in fittings.
Just ask Tony Mowbray about his rigging problems during his Solo Global Challenge.
Yes, check the keel bolts or you will be having nightmares when pounding to weather. This will play on your mind..... believe me. Think about how to steer it should the rudder fail too. Sorry for that. Bloody forum people !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 02:29   #53

Yep I will check them by grinding glass off before I depart.
Like the new standing rigging, once you have good faith that the rig can handle a good breeze your mind can rest easier.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:19   #54

Boat: seawind1250 syndicate

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies,

I will email Beneteau first and see what they advise in regards the the keel bolt. There is no signs of fracturing around the keel nor any issues when i got her surveyed/hull inspected before i purchased her. Yes she does have the liner on this b42 so makes in inspection slightly more difficult.

50nm per day average seems significant, but i intended on putting in some longer passages. Most of the NSW coast doesnt interest me, will only stop at Port Stephens then push on up to Fraser Island. Also between Thursday Island to the Northern Territory over the Gulf of Carpentaria in one go.

Since the tides are so massive i want good confidence in my holding capacity at anchor. Originally the previous owner had a horizontal windlass setup in the starboard anchor locker which looks terrible (have to reach over the windlass to feed the chain!!!), he said this windlass broke in Tahiti so was pulling up the anchor manually. That was never going to be an option for me (good exercise with 60m of chain but not a situation you want to be in when you can't pull up the anchor). Ive bought a new Muir Storm VRC2200 windlass which gives me good piece of mind. Im undecided which anchor to predominantly use as the boat has 2 options. A plough CQR which is a beast at around 50lb and a Bruce which is approx 25lb. Both are good for sand holding but doing a bit of research the Bruce seems to be the best option. Would you tend to agree??

PS im still looking for competent crew! I have an advert on findacrew but most of the people on there who have contacted me are novices looking for an adventure. Would love to have someone on board who has previous experience sailing of the north. Anyone keen??

Cheers

Gareth
Hi Gareth,
We sailed around the top 6 years ago and we did the Darwin to Broome leg in 2 weeks getting a good taste of the Kimberleys.Shame you are not leaving a bit earlier as we will be leaving Wyndham July 16th for the sail back to Perth.

Darwin to Broome
8/08/12
240nm
King Georges river
Fresh water swim, water falls
Anchor under falls with departure
on 11th
11/08/12
60nm
Sir Graham Is
anchorage, will arrive in the dark
Oysters on the rocks at low tide!
12/08/12
north of Low Island
DC3 wreck
12/08/12
Jar Island
Bradshaw art
12/08/12
Fresh water bay
Oysters & fresh water swim
Anchor overnight
13/08/12
Shelter Bay
Safe anchorage, fishing & sailing
14/08/12
Bigge Is
Art works
14/08/12
Prince Fredrick Harbour
Anchor overnight
15/08/12
Careening bay
Carved Boab tree
15/08/12
Sampson Inlet
Anchorage Overnight, whales
16/08/12
Montgomery Reef
reef and turtle dive, fishing
16/08/12
Reef point
Cave art,
16/08/12
Horizontal Water falls
Arrive early on the 17th
17/08/12
Horizontal Water falls
Tender through the falls when safe
Feed the grey nurse sharks
motor back to Dog leg creek
18/08/12
Squatters Arms
Swim and a drink in the hot pools
Tide check!
BYO and a gift for the tenants
19/08/12
Silican beach
Swim
19/08/12
overnight sail to Lacepede Is
Turtles and local birds
20/08/12
overnight sail to Broome
overnight stop over if we are on time!
nauticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 06:24   #55

Boat: Antares Cat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
N0--both of those anchors are not adequate for a serious storm on a boat with the weight yours has. I would recommend at least a 60 lbs Manson Supreme.
Just looked at the Manson Supreme, and it looks a lot like its a knock-off of the NZ designed Rocna, our primary anchor. Have 2 others aboard, Fortress & CQR (our original primary). The Rocna out performs these in all conditions. If I ever replace these other anchors, it will be with another Rocna.
Russ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 19:52   #56

Cheers for the replies.

One last question. What is the easiest way to check the seacocks? I will haul the boat out next month to antifoul and put new anodes on.
Should i re seal with vasoline on both sides?
Should I replace if they are original but are in good condition?

Cheers
Gareth
Old 14-06-2018, 20:07   #57

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
... What is the easiest way to check the seacocks? ... Should I replace if they are original but are in good condition?
Whoa! Bronze seacocks of good quality should last a lifetime. Plastic hoses & stainless hoseclips are a bigger issue - it's encouraging to see every connection fitted with double hoseclips and a wooden or rubber bung attached with a lanyard for emergency failure - but replace a perfectly good seacock?!

Of course cheap, nasty, brass ball-valves are another matter, shouldn't even be there but it usually isn't hard to distinguish the two (I think - just don't ask me to do the inspection).
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 20:45   #58

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Seacocks...……...if plastic ,dump them, UV will kill them.
Stainless above waterline ok.
Bronze underwater.
If all are bronze, and freely operate, why replace if not broken.
I use waterproof grease...…...
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 03:00   #59

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Seacocks...……...if plastic ,dump them, UV will kill them.
Yes, no doubt, lots of UV radiation below decks and below the waterline. A real worry...

Jim
Old 15-06-2018, 04:29   #60

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Plastic seacocks mostly have plastic exterior flanges......I have actually seen monohulls lean over......and expose plastic flanges to UV...….
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, sydney