Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 14:41   #31

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Sydney to Perth over top end of Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
Appreciate all the comments here people

So basically my CQR is useless for the Australia conditions.
I like the look of the manson supreme (https://www.whitworths.com.au/manson...e-anchor?q=573), $800 AUD for the 27kg option is quite reasonable.
Will start by saying that we used a Manson Supreme for our circumnav and it was great. At the same time the SARCA anchor is made in Oz I think and I have only heard good things about it. Might be cheaper.

If I was in your shoes I would not want to do day trips day-after-day. i would look for opportunities to do 200 to 400 mile legs at one go. This eats up the miles and would save you days to sit if the weather is not good or you find an interesting place to explore. A schedule is not a nice thing.

We went from Brisbane to Darwin only. don't get me started about the crocs - although I like the shoes.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:05   #32

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Will start by saying that we used a Manson Supreme for our circumnav and it was great. At the same time the SARCA anchor is made in Oz I think and I have only heard good things about it. ...
Soooo much information on anchors (but not all of it turns out to be 'independent'). Panope's videos here on this forum are excellent, highly recommended, but with so much info it takes time to research all his anchor tests, unless you find where to start. So, to summarise, Rocna/Manson Supreme generally rate well but have one failure mode: mud clings to them (due to the heavy roll-bar) and can prevent reset. The outwardly similar-looking Mantus sheds mud much better (apparently by having a thinner, wider roll-bar) but is expensive here and is maybe a bit lightweight in construction. The Ozzie Sarca Excel doesn't seem to have any failure mode, may stow easier on some bow rollers (as it has no rollbar) but is also expensive; it may look like a CQR/plough but it (and the highly rated but very inexpensive German Kobra, if you can find one) appear to be a vast improvement over any other plough/delta types.

Many other 3rd gen anchors are outstanding - Spade, Ultra, etc - but they are either expensive or may have problems re-galvanising due to lead inserts. Anyway, that's my briefest summary of what I discovered, for what it's worth.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 17:20   #33

More Anchor Info

I say you can't go wrong with a bruce ... but it needs to be at least 44lbs
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 18:37   #34

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Your CQR is OK for good bottom anchoring if it is a genuine CQR or a Manson Plough (an almost exact copy of the genuine CQR) No other plough type is on my list of useful anchors--and I had no problems with my Manson plough--but my trimaran when fully laden would weigh about half of your vessel. It is that sudden stop as the vessel surges backward that jerks out anchors--so I always use a kellet regardless of what anchor is on the other end of the chain..
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 18:48   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, the Sarca Excel is made in Oz, so shipping may work out easier. We have a friend with one that loves it. Ours, now, is a Manson Supreme. Based on our experience with a 36 ft. IOR one tonner, the 44 lb. Bruce will not be enough for nzldude's Beneteau in some bottoms. I think a new generation anchor will serve him better.

Ann
Old 05-06-2018, 05:37   #36

Boat: Beneteau First42

Thanks for the info [emoji4]

How about phone reception off the north coast?
I've got an epirb and PLB which I will keep on me at all times. Wondering if I should also buy a satellite phone or satellite tracker like the inreach or spot Gen3 or go all out and buy the iridiumGo. I intend on buying the iridiumGo when I go offshore as it's an amazing bit of technology.
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:51   #37

Boat: Island Packet 40

Phone reception is fairly consistent until you leave Cairns.

With Telstra their is a gap between Great Keppel Island and Mackay but you can sometimes get a signal north of the Marble Islands if you can get up high.

There is another between Mourilyn and Fitzroy island.

North of Cairns you will get comms passing Port Douglas and Cooktown and you might at Portland Roads but pretty well no other until you reach Thursday Island.

Big gaps across the top with only mobile reception at Gove then Darwin then another big gap until Broome.

WA coast is very patchy with comms generally only near the population centres until you get to Geraldton.

Messaging sometimes works where there is no voice comms due to weak signal.

HF radio is good for weather reports from VMC in Charleville and VMW in Willuna and one used to be able to arrange skeds with the Fremantle Sailing Club but don't know if this is still so.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:03   #38
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Coverage is surprisingly good in the north IMO.

Use this map to see Telstra's coverage https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-...s/our-coverage

To see coverage seawards from the coast, click the Detailed button rather than Standard in Map View and then 3G and if you have one, external antenna.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:32   #39
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

I've got an epirb and PLB which I will keep on me at all times. Wondering if I should also buy a satellite phone or satellite tracker like the inreach or spot Gen3 or go all out and buy the iridiumGo. I intend on buying the iridiumGo when I go offshore as it's an amazing bit of technology.
As far as safety goes you're pretty prepared as you have both an epirb and a PLB. I think using a satellite phone for either backup communications or a ditch-bag solution would be a good idea.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:04   #40

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Hi Gareth,

I won't reply to the boat issues, nor the east coast. You and everyone else knows that your time frame is tight. Pick a couple of highlights to visit in the Kimberley but leave plenty of time to go from Broome to Fremantle unless you want to do a lot of windward sailing, sometimes in pretty strong winds. The infamous southerlies will be in by the time you pass NW Cape so leave time to rest up in Shark Bay, Geraldton or the Abrolhos (there are moorings and protection, I'm told).

Shipping is 'light' south of the mining areas of Port Hedland and Dampier but cray pots can be a problem south of Kalbarri. AIS is fantastic because when you use a ship's name, they will likely respond. My experience around Port Hedland and Dampier is that ships are happy to cooperate and appreciate the call, especially at night. You'll see them more often on AIS than they'll see you, in my experience, until you call.

My home port is Fremantle Sailing Club and even I have to really work at coming into that harbour at night. The back lighting is awful and once on a night arrival the yellow separation lights looked red (they've since been fixed and hope they are ok now).

I've planned to make 4 trips south from Shark Bay in October but in one case got to Steep Point and went back and left the boat in Carnarvon due time constraints (such as your leave). The Facine access to the Carnarvon Yacht Club may be open by the time you get to Shark Bay so call up the Club to find out. I left my boat there the summer of 2016/7.

Good luck and hope to see you safe and well in Fremantle.

Cheers, Jim
SV Tiga
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11   #41

mobile coverage on the West Coast: Telstra is in my experience the only provider to consider. Good coverage, with gaps, between NW Cape and Fremantle but not too far offshore. A booster helps. I also carry a sat phone along with the usual safety gear. Shark Bay is pretty good but Steep Point is spotty. As someone else said, text works better and sometimes VHF can get you weather if you don't go with something like Iridium Go. Mobile coverage at the Abrolhos is, I'm told, not very good if at all. I usually stop in Geraldton or Port Gregory if the southerlies are picking up.

cheers, Jim

I mostly sail solo or with one crew.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:16   #42

Sorry for multiple replies, but I keep finding more posts.

I did Bali and back down the west coast with a Bruce but upgraded to a Sarca Excel after recommendations from a respected and experienced friend's recommendation. No trouble on the west coast with either anchor. I also carry 75m of chain and use it.

cheers, Jim
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21   #43

Search for Free Range Sailing on YouTube. They are sailing from Perth and had got as far as the top right corner of Australia by the last video I watched. Lots on The Kimberley’s and beyond.
richard10002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11   #44

Boat: Cal 2-46

We cruise the South Pacific. Previous boat was 12 tonne. We used CQR. SPADE. BRUCE. None were always satisfactory. Ended up with the 25kg Rocna. Designed in NZ. Bullet proof on any bottom.
We now have a Cal 46 and just back from a season in Tonga. We use a Rocna 33kg. Never a moments concern in all conditions.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 16:22   #45

Make sure you have the latest copy of the WA Cruising Guide, edition 5 (Dec 17). It is downlaodable for free at either https://www.fsc.com.au/onwater/publications/ or Western Australian Cruising Guide
Many of your questions are answered in it.
The only additional suggestion I have is to try to get to Fremantle before November, or you will probably have a 400 mile trip into 25-30 kn headwinds.
Happy (windward) sailing!
Kim (Guide Editor)
Fremantle
Kim Klaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, sydney