Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 12:44   #1

Boat: South Coast 36
Brit buying a boat in Oz to take east

Hello all. Last time I was on here I'd just arrived from the Pacific and was selling my UK registered boat. This time, I'm coming back with wife and child, to head east to New Cal, Fiji and beyond.

So, what do I need to consider when it comes to buying a boat to export?

Does having it Australian registered make any difference (when I can use the UK Small Ships Register)?

Do I have a certain amount of time to get out of the country after purchasing for it to count as an export (I'm assuming that I can save some taxes if it's not staying in Australia, but I need to look into that more)?
Kaskazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 15:27   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Brit buying a boat in Oz to take east

I thought you had to be an Australian citizen to have an Australian registered boat?
Unless you are buying new I don’t think there are any taxes to be saved as we do not pay tax on used boats.
I doubt there is any rush to “export” the boat, it would depend more on how long your visa is?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 15:53   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I thought you had to be an Australian citizen to have an Australian registered boat.....?
And this
Quote:
...Unless you are buying new I don’t think there are any taxes to be saved as we do not pay tax on used boats.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 16:08   #4

Quote:
I thought you had to be an Australian citizen to have an Australian registered boat?
Or resident.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 00:52   #5

Thanks folks - that makes sense on the tax side of things.

I'm hoping de-registration should be fairly straightforward. If I return to Australia to sell it, I'll need to have all the necessary details for someone to re-register it, so I'll be keeping a close eye on requirements.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:07   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If she is 'Australian' registered as opposed to state registered....

When you take her out of the country you get no refunds....even if she had been imported just last week.....the government will have already spent it....

You will be able to re-import her at no cost if you bring her back within in a few years...

Better to buy a boat in the islands that hasn't been imported into NZ or Au.....

By all accounts there are rather a lot on the market....
Old 24-07-2019, 01:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You will be able to re-import her at no cost if you bring her back within in a few years...Better to buy a boat in the islands that hasn't been imported into NZ or Au.....
My challenge is going to be time; we'll tie off things here in the UK and then head out to AU to find a boat and I don't think I'm going to have much more than a few weeks before our planned departure. I'm suspecting that it's going to be a lot easier to be productive at fitting out and preparing for offshore in Au rather than the islands - my French is OK but I just have this feeling that trying to get things done smoothly in New Cal would take longer. I don't know about Fiji yet. Tonga is an option too.

If re-importing isn't going to cost anything, what advantage would there be to buying in Fiji, for example? Less choice (but perhaps more suitable boats based on their location)... and clearly it's closer to the destination but not a huge distance.

If I bought in the islands, I'd have to sell in the islands or pay to import into AU. Selling can take years (even in Sydney my last boat took a year to sell) and then I'll be looking at storage and maintenance in the islands which will bring more complexities. Or am I wrong?
Old 24-07-2019, 01:53   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Hmmmm.... all depends on what sort of boat you are looking at and how many $$$...... buy something relativey cheap in the islands from someone who has just completed EU to SoPac and just wants to go home.... boat should be in good order ... owners should be the ones that are worn out

Have your fun and take to NZ to sell... quality seems to sell well there..

I'd be looking at FP... or PF... depending on how you dress....
Old 24-07-2019, 02:07   #9

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Watch the exchange rate, Approx 70 cents AUD to a US Dollar,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 02:20   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

This is killing me.

There are so many politically loaded "stop the boats" jokes I could make at this point.

But I will behave.
Old 24-07-2019, 03:32   #11

People of the world you need to read this
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boa...n/recreational

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...ister-a-vessel

remember east State in Australia has different rules and fees but once registered you can travel freely between State
josu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 06:14   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Perhaps this is more relevant to the OP than state registration considering he is planing to depart Australia shortly after purchase although as noted above, there is a requirement for him to be an Australian citizen or resident to obtain or keep Australian registration.

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...-fishing-boats
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:28   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

A boat departing/clearing Australia requires registration (click link here) in order to leave Australian waters (just like clearing out of any country). State registration doesn't cut it for leaving to go offshore, and only an Australian resident can be the registered owner of a pleasure craft - see AMSA rules here. It’s exactly the same in NZ – see here.

Most pleasure boats in Oz only have state registration.

Therefore if you buy a boat, as a non resident, you’ll have to register (or if registered transfer registration) the boat in another country, say the British Ships Small Boat Register. There are many other options.

But seriously if I were you, I would be researching/reading the appropriate published details very carefully. All of the relevant agencies provide comprehensive information on their web sites. Asking such a question here on the forum will typically only give a bunch 'perhaps', 'maybe', 'should be' like answers. And as you state you've done something similar before in sailing a boat to Australia and leaving it there for sale so you must have gained some insights about the process of registration/clearance.
Old 24-07-2019, 12:45   #14

Boat: Athol Burns Offshore Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskazi View Post
Hello all. Last time I was on here I'd just arrived from the Pacific and was selling my UK registered boat. This time, I'm coming back with wife and child, to head east to New Cal, Fiji and beyond.

So, what do I need to consider when it comes to buying a boat to export?

Does having it Australian registered make any difference (when I can use the UK Small Ships Register)?

Do I have a certain amount of time to get out of the country after purchasing for it to count as an export (I'm assuming that I can save some taxes if it's not staying in Australia, but I need to look into that more)?
I know of a very nice British registered cruising yacht for sale in New Zealand. She is fully equipped and in great condition. She sailed from UK to NZ a few years ago and is up for sale now.
It belongs to a friend of mine.
She is perhaps too big for a small family, 55 feet but has been set up for a couple to sail with electric winches and everything to the cockpit.
They have had trouble selling her here as the market is very small here for big cruising boats. Price has dropped from 900k nz to 400k.
A bargain if you want that size boat. If interested I can direct you to broker.
stinkpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 13:30   #15

Boat: Custom Catamaran

If you’re not planning on returning to Aus, I’d just SSR it (£35 for 5 years) and head to the islands. Simples!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying