Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 19:29   #1

Exclamation Beware of Altex coating paint: it fails then you're on your own

I have spent 5 weeks painting my boat with Altex Coating system (New Zealand) and the last coat, applied from a new can on the afternoon of a sunny June day (16°) on the roofs of my launch failed miserably. Result looks like chalk with colour separation... I talked to the company, who sent their sales rep to look at it. He acknowledged that it is really weird and will be a pain to fix, but the managers just offered me free paint and brushes... I'm left to sand back, tape up and repaint...at my own cost.

Anyone with similar experience out there? What would you recommend in regards to sanding/fixing this mess?

See photo here: https://flic.kr/p/M1EBJY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	altex-paint-fails.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	173571  
Sebinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 00:38   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Beware of Altex coating paint: it fails then you're on your own

Sebinnz, welcome aboard CF, sorry to hear of your paint problem.

What type of Altex coating were you using - single pack, two pack or...???

I have had similar problems when the dew point occurred in the afternoon / evening then I expected.
Now I either check the forecast dew point or use a paint that has proved itself in similar met. conditions.

I hope you next attempt works out better.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 13:29   #3

Hi Wotname,
Thank you for sharing! It was the Altex Regatta one part paint. Is there a way to know when dew point occurs each day?

I wish I used another product like Hempel, which I had raving reviews about...

Cheers
Old 15-07-2018, 16:37   #4

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Looks like it got moisture before it had flashed/kicked/skinned.

I and countless thousands of others have used altex product for decades with no issues apart from operator error.

All brands of paints will have issues if operator error is involved, even hempel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 02:02   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebinnz View Post
Hi Wotname,
Thank you for sharing! It was the Altex Regatta one part paint. Is there a way to know when dew point occurs each day? ...........
I am assuming you are in NZ
I don't know what forecasting is available in NZ but I expect your national forecaster provides the information - usually considered a part of a humidity forecast. In Oz, it is available from the MetEye service from the BOM.
MetEye
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:29   #6

Hi Simi,
I'm happy to hear thousands of people use Altex with success, and I was one of them up to that day. But it's when the **** hits the fan that you test a company's DNA. I run a Travel Company and when a customer has an issue - say misses a domestic flight which is not my company's fault - we don't just leave him on the pavement with a couple of pillows and a duvet. We try our best to help him even if it hurts us a little.
Old 16-07-2018, 13:43   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Did you read the application notes for the product before applying it? I get the feeling that "applied in the afternoon" is the key to the issue.

The paint would have a batch number and that means the manufacturer could easily determine if they had produced a bad batch. Did the rep note down the batch numbers? Did they convey their opinion on the cause or confirm a bad batch? Either way, the fine print probably limits liability to replacement of the product. If it was an application issue, they were quite generous in providing free replacements.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:45   #8

Thank you wotname. After a search it seems Accuweather.com would provide the dew point for cities in New Zealand. Good think to look at then! Although on that day I painted from 2 to 3pm with temp of 16°. I'm a little puzzled that dew point would have been reached so quickly. Anyway, good tip.
Old 16-07-2018, 14:17   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Siome paints are completely incompatible. I had my vessel re-painted--the paint fell off in slabs in some areas of the hull.

If you are painting over existing paint, cleanliness in preparation plus a two-part epoxy undercoat would be a good idea. Cured epoxy is the least likely to cause trouble, and once cured, pretty much any good paint will adhere to the neutral surface it provides.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:21   #10

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebinnz View Post
Hi Simi,
I'm happy to hear thousands of people use Altex with success, and I was one of them up to that day. But it's when the **** hits the fan that you test a company's DNA. I run a Travel Company and when a customer has an issue - say misses a domestic flight which is not my company's fault - we don't just leave him on the pavement with a couple of pillows and a duvet. We try our best to help him even if it hurts us a little.
And they did exactly that.
They offered free paint and brushes yet you still came on here trying to warn people off.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 15:52   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Has anyone had a close look at the photo of the finished job? Seabinz you are definately not a painter by any stretch of the imagination. Its a moisture issue for sure from painting way to late in the day. I think Altex is being very generous in offering you some free product to fix YOUR mistake. I bet that rep had a chuckle when he looked at your finished job? Did you apply it with a yard broom?
I am a NACE coating inspector and have never had an issue with Altex, its a good product when applied properly.
Seabinz I suggest you do some reading, spend some money on a quality brush and roller then do the job properly instead of bagging a good comapny on a public forum.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 15:09   #12

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Rule of thumb. Never paint after 3pm in NZ during winter as the temp and subsequent dew point happens very quickly when the coating is trying to dry. Start at 11am and be finished no later than 2pm. A narrow window but will save you a lot of grief. Don't blame the paint or the company that makes it.

Pat (Coatings Inspector)
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 15:36   #13

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Sebinz good morning

I jhave just finished painting my boat with Altex paints - all 7 coats - its on Waiheke island.
I have found the Altex team to be very helpful throughout.
While it is possible that you got a bad batch of paint the painting conditions have also been very trying over the last 5 weeks with high then low humidity, warm days and then cold nights with the cool evenings coming early and quickly - even had two frosts on Waiheke over that period.

So most likely and what it looks like - but I guess never 100% certain - that you have been caught out by the weather and the offer of free paint is a fair deal

To improve the odds of getting a good finish I have been cheating a bit using tarpaulins and small fan heaters to ensure product is warm, boat surface is warm and dry and then to try and retain atmosphere temp in late afternoon.
still been a tricky process and I am no expert so maybe just lucky

Good luck with the repaint
Wayne
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 03:14   #14

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

I love Altex paint. Although I use their commercial branded products Carbogard. The back up service is second to none, their product knowledge and back up service would be the envy of many a company.

All that said and done you must adhere to their product application requirements. Remember you are applying a paint system.

Good luck with the repaint
Ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:35   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

At least Altex attended site meet you and offer something in compensation

I had a similar problem with Norglass paint and no rep attended, no interest was shown.

We painted as per specifications and the painted failed to be touch dry within the specified time.

Yes to also had to resend the topsides

Norglass could rebrand itself NOGLOSS

International paints worked well and were easier to apply.
Attached Files
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint