Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 15:47   #1

Boat: Bennett S & S 48
Wintering in the Annapolis area

Hi All, i'm new to this forum so take it easy on me,
Looking to lay up my yacht in the Annapolis area Maryland MD for about 10 months, July 2018 to April 2019 any advise on a reasonable price & good security? 48 ft Mono 15 ton, I'm located in Australia & have no knowledge of the area.
Thanks in advance
Coombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:04   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Wintering in the Annapolis area

We have been at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard for the last couple years for about a month at a time. It is as very pleasant setting but might be pricey if you are just leaving the boat. I would look at their storage rates on the hard. They have a lot of boats out and their prices seem reasonable and are on their website. They have security that patrols at night and seem very safe. We would leave our boat here without hesitation. (and often do. :-))

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 02:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Coombsy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 05:06   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

You could check out Bert Jabins Boatyard, Port Annapolis Marina, or maybe Eastport Yaching Center on Back Creek. Or Holiday Point or Liberty marinas on the South River (town of Edgewater, adjacent to Annapolis). Or Casa Rio Marina on Cadle Creek/Rhode River (still in Edgewater). Or another option might be Bay Bridge Marina on the east side of the Bay and the foot of the bridge.

Further away but maybe with useful rates and storage facilities, Hartge's Yacht Yard in Galesville, MD, or Herrington Harbor North Marina in Deale, MD. These are 15-20 miles south of Annapolis.

You can (maybe still) use ActiveCaptain to find 'em, and they probably all have websites.

-Chris
Old 28-05-2018, 05:48   #5

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You could check out Bert Jabins Boatyard, Port Annapolis Marina, or maybe Eastport Yaching Center on Back Creek. Or Holiday Point or Liberty marinas on the South River (town of Edgewater, adjacent to Annapolis). Or Casa Rio Marina on Cadle Creek/Rhode River (still in Edgewater). Or another option might be Bay Bridge Marina on the east side of the Bay and the foot of the bridge.

Further away but maybe with useful rates and storage facilities, Hartge's Yacht Yard in Galesville, MD, or Herrington Harbor North Marina in Deale, MD. These are 15-20 miles south of Annapolis.

You can (maybe still) use ActiveCaptain to find 'em, and they probably all have websites.

-Chris
Cross the bay and leave the boat in Rock Hall. There are multiple marinas there that will give you reasonable prices. If you just want cheap yard space, look at gratitude Marina in Rock Hall Maryland. A No-Frills place and you should be able to get excellent rates. If you need any work done on the Eastern Shore, I would recommend Haven Harbour for the work. They are also located in Rock Hall. As a side note, there is a West Marine in Rock Hall and an awesome chandlerie called Rock Hall Marine Railway. They have everything there.

The only issue with Rock Hall vs Annapolis is that Rock Hall is a pain to get to by public transportation. Annapolis would definitely win in that regard.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 08:04   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Jabin and Port Annapolis will be the most expensive. Herrington Harbor North would be my first choice. Then Hartge or Scandia Marina
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:13   #7

Boat: Hunter 41

My wife and I are live-aboards at Port Annapolis Marina (12 years) and have a Hunter 41. We pay about $8,000 per year for our annual slip fee plus $100 per month live-aboard fee. If you are planning to live aboard, Port A is a good place to stay. They do not meter electricity and have a portable pump-out cart which makes its rounds weekly the entire year round. Jabin's is a great working marina and we actually get all our work done there. We stayed there initially (for 2 years). They are slightly less expensive than Port A but electricity usage is metered and billed quarterly. There is no pump-out available over the winter months at the marina. (The Harbor Master runs a pump-out boat which makes its daily rounds from mid-March to mid-November.)

If you're looking to put the boat on the hard or just letting it in a slip unoccupied, I would definitely look at marinas on the eastern shore. It will be far less expensive than keeping the boat in Annapolis proper. Our boat in Cambridge (Generation III Marina) would cost about $2,000 per year. I'm not too familiar with marinas in he Rock Hall area so would refer you to someone who knows. You may be required to pay an annual slip fee unless you can negotiate a prorated fee for the length of time you need. I hope this helps...
JD
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:56   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Large thumbs up to Hartge YH. We’ve been keeping our 36’ tri there a couple of years. Beautiful with excellent, clean facilities welcoming to all boats. Give Mike a shout for more info:

Michael Waldow
Service Advisor
Hartge Yacht Harbor
PO Box 165
Galesville, MD 20765
(443)607-6306
Mike@hartgeyachtharbor.com

Have fun!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 11:14   #9
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

I second Herrington Harbor North. Been down there about 5 ears now. Very inexpensive for on the hard storage. The yard also has several vendors for boat work, almost all of them (save one, who shall not be mentioned) are excellent. The electrical folks (MTS) can check on your charging system over the winter, and keep your battery banks sweet. There are several folks there that can inspect your boat monthly. One of those is my daughter who is a rigger at the yard, and can help you out with those kind of issues.
The closer you get to Annapolis, the more expensive it gets. Herrington North is hard to beat, IMHO.

mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 11:49   #10

Boat: Hunter 41

Know people who have keep boats and/or live-aboard at both Hartge and Herrington Harbor North. Agree that both locations would be excellent options... would keep you on the western shore of the bay and a lot closer to Annapolis.
JD
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:24   #11

Thanks to all,
looks like there a plenty of options, I really appreciate all the feed back, hope to meet up when i get over there
Cheers
Old 28-05-2018, 17:47   #12

Boat: O’Day 40

Hello & Welcome to MD in advance. If you’re looking for a ritzy place then Herrington might be the place for you. I’ve keep my boat at Whitehall Marina, a small but well kept, extremely secure yard located 10 min from Annapolis just west of the bay bridge.

I can’t say enough good things about it. During the winter you can leave the boat on the water or place it in the yard. Very reasonable by comparison. You can work on your boat or Scandia Marine has a good shop on premises.

Very reasonable prices, beautiful location, close to the bay. Extremely friendly. Have witnessed the owner John Whitehall going out & checking docklines many times before a big storm. (WhitehallAnnapolis.com)

Lou K
Shazam
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 20:54   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coombsy View Post
Hi All, i'm new to this forum so take it easy on me,
Looking to lay up my yacht in the Annapolis area Maryland MD for about 10 months, July 2018 to April 2019 any advise on a reasonable price & good security? 48 ft Mono 15 ton, I'm located in Australia & have no knowledge of the area.
Thanks in advance
Annapolis Landing Marina. In the water. There are a couple of small places nearby. Not cheap. If you want to drive south 40 minutes there is Herrington Harbour Marina. Part of the lovely small village of Rosehaven. Very safe and relatively inexpensive. PM me if you want. Oz....
Old 04-07-2018, 16:47   #14

Boat: C-Dory 22 and actively sailing Other Peoples' Boats

Coomsby, where did you end up? If you choose Herrington Harbor North, I can check in on her for you. We live right near there.
The Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 17:09   #15

Thanks for the offer, I’m in port Annapolis marina, back creek..

Tags
annapolis