Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 00:25   #1

S.O.S anyone in the area !!

My boat is currently beached on the south end of the Boca Grande Florida area please shes been stuck for a week a 34 morgan sloop shoal draft any tips or assistance please I need help!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_075805.jpeg
Views:	397
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	176991Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_102201.jpeg
Views:	414
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	176992Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_102208.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	176993Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_102128.jpeg
Views:	406
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	176994Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_102107.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	176995Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_183657.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	176996
Capt.Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:47   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: S.O.S anyone in the area !!

have you kedged her off the shoal yet???? may need some anchors into deep water and cane prep asap.
iff cane not coming your way, put some anchors, 2, out into deep water. other wise you will go into those mangroves and stay forever. as you can , you bring boat towards anchors with winches. when rode is tight, repeat. good luck.

if you are in cane zone, the surge will get you off the beach or push you into trees nicely.... keep kedging out into deeper water.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:08   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

You’re in a highly populated area, roads, homes, boats everywhere. Walk up the beach and ask for a tow. Get on the radio and ask for a tow. Call BoatUS and ask for a tow.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If it were me I would roll her over onto her other side, next high water, then kedge off. Walk your anchors out as far as you can go, set them well, and grind them in. Keep her rolled over on her starboard side until you are in 2 or 3 feet of water and the bow is pointed toward deep water. Keep walking anchors out or taking them out with the dink. Be patient. Keep a good strain and every high water will see her out a little more. Nice and easy, and maybe you won't cause any damage.

If possible, dig out under the prop and rudder and remove prop. Rudder too if possible. Takes a lot of digging as the hole will keep filling in. Meanwhile if prop is bent, straigh.ten it as much as possible. If it is hopeless, just get another used one. A good prop shop might be able to help you out with repairing the old one but sailboat props go all the time for chimp change on fleabay. Match the rotation and size, and pitch too if you can guestimate it. Otherwise let pitch be 70% to 100% of diameter and you ought to be able to swing it okay. Be sure the bore is correct for your shaft diameter. Also check strut and shaft. With engine transmission in neutral turn the shaft by hand and look for significant wobble. A `/16" wobble is bad but you can still limp to the nearest marina though you will probably wipe out your cutless bearing. Much more than that and you will need to pull it and straighten it. Same with strut.

OR

Get an outboard mount and a running outboard between 4hp and 20hp, long shaft, lock down your prop shaft with a big pipe wrench or chains to hopefully prevent any damage to trnsmission, and get to a yard using outboard and sails.

Sometimes you just got to take matters in hand and gitter done. A free tow is probably not going to help as much as it hurts.
Old 08-09-2018, 18:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Surely a "Capt" knows how to kedge?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 19:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Wow. She may have been “save-able” if kedged off right away. Right now this does not look good.

Because she sat there for a week it looks like the keel and rudder are now buried. I would suggest getting some pros involved. If the keel and rudder are buried, if she is muscled off the beach, things could break. Looking at the pictures, someone is going to have to dig out the keel and rudder!!

You should also be in touch with your insurance company as this may not end well.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 23:50   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wow. She may have been “save-able” if kedged off right away. Right now this does not look good.

Because she sat there for a week it looks like the keel and rudder are now buried. I would suggest getting some pros involved. If the keel and rudder are buried, if she is muscled off the beach, things could break. Looking at the pictures, someone is going to have to dig out the keel and rudder!!

You should also be in touch with your insurance company as this may not end well.
Insurance?? I kinda suspect that if there were insurance involved, he wouldn't be seeking our amateur help. I hope he can get some aid and refloat his boat.

Jim
Old 09-09-2018, 03:39   #8

So how did you end up on the hard, anyway? Whatever you did wrong, I hope you don't do that again. Mistakes of that magnitude can be very expensive lessons, especially if they are repeated because you didn't learn the first time.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:43   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

If you can roll her over to the other side with the help of winches and kedge anchors, might help to keep her heeled over with another kedge line attached to the rigging.
At the current situation your keels stop moving her at all.
When all is set, can you somehow start digging a channel?
A number of people with shovels can help a lot...

Good [emoji256]!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31   #10

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Scrape some of the barnacles off while she’s laid up. It Looks like there’s about a half inch evenly coating everything.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03   #11

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

That boat has a shallow draft but a full keel, and it looks like most of that keel is buried. That's a lot of digging, probably more than can be done by a few people during a low tide. You either need a LOT of people willing dig like their lives depend on it or a crane. I don't think you're going to move it without digging that keel and rudder free.

If I was in Florida, I would dig, but I'm in Virginia. Good luck, mate.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:35   #12

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

https://youtu.be/oG82W_UHYGE

In all seriousness, this is a very time sensitive situation. The moment you go aground, you need to immediately and unceasingly be getting yourself unstuck because the more you sit the more stuck you get. If you are starting to sink into the sand it's likely a situation where you need to get professional help ASAP before you end up becoming yet one more wreck that someone else needs to clean up.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
https://youtu.be/oG82W_UHYGE

In all seriousness, this is a very time sensitive situation. The moment you go aground, you need to immediately and unceasingly be getting yourself unstuck because the more you sit the more stuck you get. If you are starting to sink into the sand it's likely a situation where you need to get professional help ASAP before you end up becoming yet one more wreck that someone else needs to clean up.
Ok, THAT link was funny.
I was going to make a comment about being Capt Obvious or Admiral Hindsight.....
Old 11-09-2018, 18:29   #14

I do hope you don't just abandon the boat. In FL, I can almost guarantee someone will track you down with a very large bill and it can be quite enforceable, too.

The longer you wait, the more certain it is that you will need to rent some heavy equipment for digging and maybe lifting. If the site can only be reached by water, the cost could be enormous. Even after removing the boat, you could still be liable for restoring the site to its original condition.

You also need to get all petroleum products off the boat or the CG will be watching it, and you, quite closely. Fuel, etc.

Did you report the grounding, BTW? Yes, the CG has a form for that. I went through all that decades ago after intentionally grounding a sinking wooden shrimp boat with the bow splitting open. I thought I had saved the boat and was a hero. But then CG treated me like public enemy number one in spite of it having zero ecological or aesthetic impact. So get ready for it if you are still aground.
Old 11-09-2018, 18:57   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... the OP hasn't logged on CF since he made the OP; perhaps he has been busy refloating his boat - hopefully successfully.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote