Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 20:52   #1

Mystic-Newport-MV-Nantucket

I am finally planning my trip from New Rochelle to Nantucket.

My experience: crew on 50’ cats in the Caribbean, certified through ASA 106, captained a 40’ hunter from Newport Beach to Catalina last year, and have owned my Pearson 28 for one season. I learned a lot last year about this size boat, and think she is up to the trip.

The more I read and prepare, the more cautious I am about the leg from Newport to MV and Nantucket. How hard is this part of the passage? I feel like if I had one wish it would be to have someone with good local knowledge join me. Am I being too dramatic about the level of hazards there?
Marvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 21:37   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Mystic-Newport-MV-Nantucket

That's an easy sail just watch the currents. They can be different directions in Buzzards bay and Vineyard sound. Eldridge tide book is well worth the price for that area.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 22:06   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I agree about watching the current and avoid opposing wind/current. Skip Eldridge and get the Navionics app for your phone or tablet- so you can visualize the currents with arrows onscreen that move as you adjust the time slider. Isn’t tech wonderful?
BTW Marvy I live in your area and am very familiar with those waters. PM me and we can chat on the phone or go over the charts some evening.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 05:10   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

In particular you want to avoid Vineyard Sound with wind against current. You can avoid some of it if necessary by cutting through Quicks Hole just SW of Pasque Island.

Also make sure you check the current in tighter places. For example you don’t want to be trying to get into Woods Hole on an ebb tide lol.

Other than timing your trips to take advantage of a fair current there’s nothing at all difficult about your route. In fact it’s usually spectacular sailing.
Old 13-03-2019, 07:32   #5

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be in touch for that offer on a chart review, for sure. Can’t wait to get out there once I have her back in the water!
Old 17-03-2019, 17:04   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

It's not as benign around here as sailing to Catalina but, as long as you keep an eye on the wind and the tide, it's great sailing. The other great thing is that there are so many places to go; if the wind and/or tide aren't working for your initial destination, there are lots of alternatives.

If you haven't already, download the Dockwa app and register a credit card - you can also use it via a browser. Many of the transient moorings and slips around here can only be reserved through Dockwa and, even if you intend to anchor out most of the time, it can be really nice to easily reserve a mooring if the weather turns against you and you want to duck in somewhere.

Pearson made some great boats in that size range but unless you have an exceptionally strong engine, I would avoid Woods Hole if the tide is running strongly in either direction - I've had to use full power to avoid getting swept onto a buoy.

BTW Edgartown and Vinyard Haven have reasonably priced moorings; Nantucket Moorings are more expensive and have a 2 or 3 night minimum.

Also, take a look at this - I found some useful info here last year. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-nor...ay-cruise.html

I've only been in this area a few years but please ask if you have any specific questions.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 05:41   #7

Thanks for the helpful hints, Geoff54. I really appreciate all the information!

Tags
nantucket, newport