Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 12:26   #1

Hopping on a Boat from California to Hawaii:

Does anyone know if I can go into a dock/harbor like around San Francisco or other parts of California and ask about hitching a ride on a garbage barge or other commercial vessel to Hawaii?
GoldenGolden! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hopping on a Boat from California to Hawaii:

Sorry, but do you think HI wants San Francisco's garbage? Why?

You might be able to get on a working vessel as a paid hand, if you qualify. Seriously, I very much doubt anyone would want to take on a stranger for free.

Ann
Old 19-09-2018, 15:20   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sure, you can ask (if you can get by the security guards at the commercial port and then get on board a ship and find an officer), but there is not a chance that you will be rewarded with a free passage. And lacking a SCTW card, you will not be hired as a hand.

So, basically, your plan isn't going to fly.

Jim
Old 19-09-2018, 15:39   #4

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Not likely. Matson Lines the only shipping company regularly transiting between SF and HI that I know of. I called them and asked if it was possible to travel on one of their ships as a passenger, I was willing to pay for the trip. Because of insurance issues & security measures in place, they do not allow passengers. No more “tramp steamer” type of voyages unfortunately.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 16:55   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Nah. Garbage barge? LOL. If you had considerable sailing experience, and references, you could probably go as unpaid crew on a Hawaii-bound yacht. With neither skills nor references in the yachting community, the only people who would take you on would be the sort of people you would not want to sail with if you knew better.

Best way to get to Hawaii is to go to Expedia.com or some other online discounting bucket shop, and get a plane ticket for cheap. Middle seat, last group to board, no room for carryon in the overhead bin. But you will only suffer for a few hours, as opposed to going to sea with people who would take on an unskilled and unknown crewman.
Old 20-09-2018, 09:04   #6

Just keep in mind Hawaii, is like entering a foreign port! They don't want or need freeloaders, want to know where you are staying and for how long. Too many vagrants, already!! Not saying you are, but just how and when do you plan on returning to the mainland? Just questioning your intentions.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 10:10   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/
Old 20-09-2018, 10:46   #8

Boat: Coast 30

Decades ago the standard was that cargo ships could carry up to 12 passengers. All that was provided was a place to sleep, Generally good food and no entertainment, thus a slightly lower price than a cruise ship.

Having no Idea about the current standards of availability. With the current issues of terrorism and piracy I would imagine the fear of boarding an undesirable passenger with criminal intent would far out weigh the potential profit?

In the very early 1970's I traveled every where by sea,. Until dragged onto an aircraft under protest. Gatwick to Paris. The flight back nearly crashed.
not everyone likes flying.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 12:33   #9

No, I heard garbage barges take Hawaii's trash back to California?
Old 20-09-2018, 12:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Decades ago the standard was that cargo ships could carry up to 12 passengers. All that was provided was a place to sleep, Generally good food and no entertainment, thus a slightly lower price than a cruise ship.

Having no Idea about the current standards of availability. With the current issues of terrorism and piracy I would imagine the fear of boarding an undesirable passenger with criminal intent would far out weigh the potential profit?

In the very early 1970's I traveled every where by sea,. Until dragged onto an aircraft under protest. Gatwick to Paris. The flight back nearly crashed.
not everyone likes flying.

Who said I had criminal intent?
Old 20-09-2018, 12:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by naked View Post
Who said I had criminal intent?
No one did. Including the guy you are responding to.

There are cargo ships out there that will take passengers. As mentioned, usually less expensive than a cruise ship, but not by a whole lot.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:46   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There are cargo ships out there that will take passengers. As mentioned, usually less expensive than a cruise ship, but not by a whole lot.
A post above shows a link to many bookings for passage berths (super cargo) world-wide aboard freighters and container ships. Not cheaper than budget airfare however. As Red Sky pointed out, Matson is the primary freight service from the West Coast to Hawaii, and that appears to not be a super cargo opportunity these days in any case.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 15:10   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
A post above shows a link to many bookings for passage berths (super cargo) world-wide aboard freighters and container ships. Not cheaper than budget airfare however. As Red Sky pointed out, Matson is the primary freight service from the West Coast to Hawaii, and that appears to not be a super cargo opportunity these days in any case.

Actually a passenger and a supercargo are not the same. A supercargo is a representative of the shipper or the owner of the cargo who rides along as sort of a quality control guy. Can also be a representative of the ship owner or operator or charterer. He isn't paying a fare. He is there because it is his job to be there. A passenger pays for his passage and has no job to do on the ship.
Old 20-09-2018, 15:59   #14

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Next TransPac is comng up (mainland to the rocks). Any rag skills or social contacts might help. Matson is the only name I see on freighters (could be why everything costs more). Lots of happy hours, never met anyone sailing to HI as additional cargo.
Laki maika'i
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 16:11   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Actually a passenger and a supercargo are not the same. A supercargo is a representative of the shipper or the owner of the cargo who rides along as sort of a quality control guy. Can also be a representative of the ship owner or operator or charterer. He isn't paying a fare. He is there because it is his job to be there. A passenger pays for his passage and has no job to do on the ship.
Yes, you are correct. The proper term in this context is passenger.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, california, hawaii