Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 13:41   #1

Boat: Moody 54
cruising to Jamaica

Hi
Planning to visit Port Antonio and Montego bay Jamaica, December 2018any one been here recently?
Planning on anchoring, reading about safety issues, any advice welcomed.
Sea jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 21:49   #2

Re: cruising to Jamaica

I lived aboard in PA dockside at the yacht club back in the '80's while working on a movie. It's a great town as far as towns in Jamacia go. After one of the major hurricanes blew through there back in 2000? It took awhile to get back up on it's feet. I heard through friends, that some rich guy bought up most of the waterfront properties in PA and even keeps the locals off 'his beaches', which obviously pisses off the fisherman. My last time down was 2006, cut some horseback riding trails in the mountains above town. PA has, had some of the most genuinely nice locals I met in all my travels around Jamacia. None of the crime you find at the resorts imo. Will always have fond memories of PA.
Old 27-10-2018, 12:51   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

My wife and I sailed from Great Inagua Island in the Bahamas, through the Windward Passage to Port Antonio in April of this year. We chose to stay at the marina even though anchoring is very secure. The marina is nicely equipped with showers, laundry and a small restaurant. It’s very close to the center of town and we found the people there to be friendly and engaging. The open air market is small but offers an excellent selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. Our guide book says that the country’s best jerked chicken is in Port Antonio and we’re likely to agree. Immigration and Customs comes out to your boat for checking in and out - you must formally check out even if you’re going to another port in Jamaica.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there and highly recommend it as a port.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 21:18   #4

Glad to hear that report on PA. Like I said it was and will always be my favorite port in Jamaica! Do patronize as many local shops as you can to help their very local economy. If you stay long enough you ll get invited to do things with locals, sharing meals, parties, etc. I hope it never changes because it is the opposite of the all included resort areas.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:36   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I posted this reply to the same question last month:

My wife and I sailed from Great Inagua Island in the Bahamas, through the Windward Passage to Port Antonio in April of this year. We chose to stay at the marina even though anchoring is very secure. The marina is nicely equipped with showers, laundry and a small restaurant. It’s very close to the center of town and we found the people there to be friendly and engaging. The open air market is small but offers an excellent selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. Our guide book says that the country’s best jerked chicken is in Port Antonio and we’re likely to agree. Immigration and Customs comes out to your boat for checking in and out - you must formally check out even if you’re going to another port in Jamaica.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there and highly recommend it as a port.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Jamaica