Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 11:19   #1

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Bahamas immigration and cruising permit

This is another topic that I have done some fairly extensive googling and asking others about, but do not feel yet that I have an adequate answer for.

We are cruising the Bahamas at a very leisurely pace and loving it here. Upon check in at Great Harbor on March 1, we were given 90 days and assured it would be easy to get an extension at no cost. When our initial 90 days was about up, we visited the immigration office in Marsh Harbor, and were granted an additional 90 days until September 1. At the time, we asked the clerk at the immigration office if further extenstions were possible and were told 'no'. However, several online sources indicate that extensions up to 8 months (or 60 additional days) are possible (we are USA citizens).

We have secured what we regard to be a safe-as-can-be mooring for hurricane season and would like to remain in the area until late October, then continue cruising slowly southward. Our understanding is that our cruising permit is good for one year - or until March 1, 2020 - so we would have to take the boat out of the country then, or pay an additional $500 to extend the cruising permit for an additional year. One question with regard to the criusing permit is that the permit paper itself says that it is only good for 6 months. Noonsite and several other sources online say that the six months is due to outdated forms still being in use, and the permit is indeed valid for one year. I feel pretty confident about this, but can anyone confirm?

My bigger question is how to extend our period of stay with immigration. If I apply for an additional 60 days in late August, is it likely to be granted? That would be convenient as I would hate to leave the boat during the peak of hurricane season. I understand that all this is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty at the time I apply, but can anyone comment on their experience with similar situations?

Another option, of course, is to fly back to the States in August and ask for another 90 days (or possibly more) upon returning. I have been told that I could fly to the States, return as soon as the next day, and be eligible for an additional 6 to 8 months stay in the Bahamas. Does anyone here have experience doing this? What can I reasonably expect?

Overall, what would be the best course of action to accomplish our goal of remaining mostly in the Bahamas until our cruising permit expires - or possibly longer?

I know this is getting long, but as a final note..., since the Bahamas does not seem to enforce checking out of the country, from all appearances, there is nothing really to prevent us from just showing up at a port of entry flying the Q flag and checking in as if we were just entering the Bahamas. Of course, this involves a fraud and would not be my first or even third choice, but heck, why not ask... has anyone any experience with this approach?
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28   #2

Re: Bahamas immigration and cruising permit

...just giving this a bump in hopes of a few replies. Surely, some folks out there have been in a similar situation?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:23   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You can stay a maximum of 6 months the boat can stay a maximum of 1 year on the initial cruising permit
Old 01-07-2019, 18:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
This is another topic that I have done some fairly extensive googling and asking others about, but do not feel yet that I have an adequate answer for.

We are cruising the Bahamas at a very leisurely pace and loving it here. Upon check in at Great Harbor on March 1, we were given 90 days and assured it would be easy to get an extension at no cost. When our initial 90 days was about up, we visited the immigration office in Marsh Harbor, and were granted an additional 90 days until September 1. At the time, we asked the clerk at the immigration office if further extenstions were possible and were told 'no'. However, several online sources indicate that extensions up to 8 months (or 60 additional days) are possible (we are USA citizens).

We have secured what we regard to be a safe-as-can-be mooring for hurricane season and would like to remain in the area until late October, then continue cruising slowly southward. Our understanding is that our cruising permit is good for one year - or until March 1, 2020 - so we would have to take the boat out of the country then, or pay an additional $500 to extend the cruising permit for an additional year. One question with regard to the criusing permit is that the permit paper itself says that it is only good for 6 months. Noonsite and several other sources online say that the six months is due to outdated forms still being in use, and the permit is indeed valid for one year. I feel pretty confident about this, but can anyone confirm?

My bigger question is how to extend our period of stay with immigration. If I apply for an additional 60 days in late August, is it likely to be granted? That would be convenient as I would hate to leave the boat during the peak of hurricane season. I understand that all this is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty at the time I apply, but can anyone comment on their experience with similar situations?

Another option, of course, is to fly back to the States in August and ask for another 90 days (or possibly more) upon returning. I have been told that I could fly to the States, return as soon as the next day, and be eligible for an additional 6 to 8 months stay in the Bahamas. Does anyone here have experience doing this? What can I reasonably expect?

Overall, what would be the best course of action to accomplish our goal of remaining mostly in the Bahamas until our cruising permit expires - or possibly longer?

I know this is getting long, but as a final note..., since the Bahamas does not seem to enforce checking out of the country, from all appearances, there is nothing really to prevent us from just showing up at a port of entry flying the Q flag and checking in as if we were just entering the Bahamas. Of course, this involves a fraud and would not be my first or even third choice, but heck, why not ask... has anyone any experience with this approach?
A bit expensive but you can always apply for an annual residency permit, I believe $1,000.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 19:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know at least one Canadian couple that has been in Georgetown for over a year, just keeps getting extensions. I don’t know about their cruising permit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 23:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You can stay a maximum of 6 months the boat can stay a maximum of 1 year on the initial cruising permit
hmmm, where does this info come from?

according to Bahamas immigration website https://www.bahamas.gov.bs/

"All persons entering The Bahamas require a Bahamian visa except the following persons:
United States Citizens entering as a bona fide visitor for a stay not exceeding eight (8) months."

Of course, I know all depends on the immigration officer's decision. I just have not heard much in the way of actual experience from cruisers extending a stay beyond 6 months. An additional 60 days would be a help to us. I guess I will just ask for an extension when my current 90 days expires, and fly back to the states for a visit if they say 'no'.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 00:07   #7

Edit: Never mind. The part I was reading was for "U.S. Residents: non-citizens"
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit