Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 23:34   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 28
Any problem with UK-fitted holding tank in North America?

Hi,

I am moving to Canada from the UK and hoping to bring my boat (28’ cruising catamaran) with me by getting it transported to Montreal and then making my way up the St Lawrence River to my final destination in Kingston, Ontario, from where I would plan to sail to New York State regularly as well. It doesn't currently have a holding tank for waste from the heads. These are not required in the UK, but I understand that the vessel must have one to sail the waters on Ontario, where I will be living, so I would like to get a holding tank fitted before the transatlantic move.

Could anyone tell me please if they think there is a risk that holding tank system fitted in the UK won't be usable in Canada/the US? I'm thinking in particular if there are different sizes for the outlet, whether they are universal?

I tried to look up on Youtube a few videos of North American holding tanks (isn’t the internet amazing!) and it looks to me that the hose from the pump on the dock is slightly conical at the end so it could fit into outlets of (slightly) different diameter.

Does anyone have first hand experience of getting a UK/Europe-fitted holding tank pumped out in Canada/the US?

Many thanks indeed, Stibbles,
stibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:54   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Any problem with UK-fitted holding tank in North America?

Good morning. I don't see any problem fitting the tank. The problem could be with the deck pump out fitting Though I think they are all a standard 1 1/2 in size. the y valve either has to be disconnected or locked into the tank side.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 15:19   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Classic
Re: Any problem with UK-fitted holding tank in North America?

The pump out hoses have a tapered soft rubber end to seal against the deck pipe. they are fairly forgiving. as stated earl;ier. 1 1/2 " ( aprox 37mm) pipe
Fishbone 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank