Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 12:24   #1

Long term mooring near Alicante

Hi
Can anyone help me with advice. Plan,as I am close to retirement, is to keep a cat near Alicante or possibly Murcia so that I and family can pop down a lot from South uk by plane.
Cat as now grandparent and Southern Spain for The climate!
Budget is limited and catamaran is going to be Prout or similar affordable craft .
Marina charges seem pretty high as far as I can see.
Thanks
Philip
pipmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 00:36   #2

Boat: Just sold my Westerly Ocean 43
Re: Long term mooring near Alicante

Alicante and nearby marinas are all pretty expensive but there are a couple in the area that are better value. Cartagena has two marinas set inside this ex military submarine port. Really nice place and popular with a small liveaboard community.

The other is Almirimar. This is almost certainly the least expensive marina in Mediterranean Spain and France. It has excellent boat yard facilities and English chandlers, sail makers, You can stay on board the boat when it is hauled here.

Many cruising boats use its very inexpensive winter rates to leave their boats and I really like the place. Good mix of Spanish and English bars and restaurants. You fly into Alicante airport and get a taxi for about 60e
Seadevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 01:35   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450F

hey, we are in Torrevieja (marina Salinas).
very good service and in between Alicante and Murcia.
Amberina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 02:07   #4

Perhaps check out Fig-da-Foz. They quoted me the lowest marina rates on earth over there.

Ok, slight exaggeration
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 02:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long term mooring near Alicante

Almerimar gets my vote as well..
Some love it, some hate it.. I like the place, its self contained with everything you need including a large excellent supermarket and very good hospital 15mins away.
Used to fly into Almeria back in the day when there were UK direct flights twice a week.. worth checking if this service is still going as the airport is only 30mins away on the coastal highway.. much closer than Alicante.

Cartagena is okay but I was a bit saddened when I stayed there during a delivery last month.
Had not been there for a few years and its lost much of its character and become just another coastal city with all the high street names you see everywhere.. gone are the cobbled streets as you leave the harbour with their bars and restaurants catering to all.. now its only tourists and like elsewhere the locals have moved further into town.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 14:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Perhaps check out Fig-da-Foz. They quoted me the lowest marina rates on earth over there.

Ok, slight exaggeration
I but wondered where Fig-da-Foz is and if you are able to say any more about it? Thanks
Philip
Old 21-04-2019, 14:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberina View Post
hey, we are in Torrevieja (marina Salinas).
very good service and in between Alicante and Murcia.
Are you able to point me towards a web address for infyabout charges etc

Thanks
Philip
Old 21-04-2019, 15:08   #8

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
............gone are the cobbled streets as you leave the harbour with their bars and restaurants catering to all.. now its only tourists and like elsewhere the locals have moved further into town.
[emoji4] we need to start to accept that we are getting older and that many places we used to go to for holiday early 60th and 70th never come back. 2 years ago I traveled, by car, the Vendee coastline to places like St. Jean and Notre Dame de Mont. Holy sh$@, changed a little after I fall I love with my first french girl in the 60th. Sweet memories.
Old 22-04-2019, 03:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipmason View Post
I but wondered where Fig-da-Foz is and if you are able to say any more about it? Thanks
Philip
It's a bit north on the coast and very affordable. I'm attaching the rate sheet they sent me back in 2016.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Portugal Fig da Foz.pdf (183.9 KB, 100 views)
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 05:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long term mooring near Alicante

Fig da Foz is roughly midway between Porto and Lisbon on the Atlantic coast of Portugal.
Its rates are very reasonable, I kept my Van de Stadt 39 there for €900/yr.. the town is typical holiday town busy summers and quiet winters.
Protected (1km upriver from entrance over bar) and friendly English speaking staff but short on marine services.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:56   #11

Boat: Just purchased a Benateau 323 clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Almerimar gets my vote as well..
Some love it, some hate it.. I like the place, its self contained with everything you need including a large excellent supermarket and very good hospital 15mins away.
Used to fly into Almeria back in the day when there were UK direct flights twice a week..

Cartagena is okay but I was a bit saddened when I stayed there during a delivery last month.
its lost much of its character and become just another coastal city with all the high street names you see everywhere...
I agree with all that. Used to go into Cartagena before there were marinas and the town was lovely but is less so now...

For economy and direct flights from UK the marina at Almirimar is really excellent and by far the most reasonably priced on the Spanish Costas near Alicante... Really good place for Facilities and supermarkets and beaches and... Really nice people and good place to keep a boat.
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 10:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipmason View Post
Hi
Can anyone help me with advice. Plan,as I am close to retirement, is to keep a cat near Alicante or possibly Murcia so that I and family can pop down a lot from South uk by plane.
Cat as now grandparent and Southern Spain for The climate!
Budget is limited and catamaran is going to be Prout or similar affordable craft .
Marina charges seem pretty high as far as I can see.
Thanks
Philip
Try Puerto Deportivo Tomas Maestre in La Manga del Mar Menor (Murcia). Excellent marina, good facilities, reasonable prices, superb sailing environment. English used for communication. I keep my boat there.
https://youtu.be/yTJssW3e1Qc https://youtu.be/m2NgDTvbjFo https://youtu.be/JZ5W4ymH_YE https://youtu.be/PyEFaUbt8nY https://youtu.be/NHcOb9CS2N8
dr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 02:39   #13

Boat: Katapult 31, 9,30 mtr

Maybe you can try Garrucha. It is by car a 2 hour drive from Alicante and the rates appear fair to me. And if i'm not mistaken I saw some other cruisers in the marina over there last week.
felzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:21   #14

Boat: Hanse 430e

Santa Pola was pretty nice a few years ago. Pleasant Marina, large supermarket nearby.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 14:47   #15

Tomas Maestre is undoubtedly the most cost effective moorings in the area. Good marina. The bridge can be a bit of a pain and wifi is poor but rates are roughly half of anywhere else around.
John320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marina & port info, mooring