Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 18:20   #1

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Heavy metal contamination in coastal/estuarine waters

A research team from Universiti Malaya Trengganu did a survey of coastal and estuarine water on the Malacca Strait coastline from Johor to Penang in March 2019.

The researchers found high concentrations of heavy metals (Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury) in waters off Johor, Port Klang (in the state of Selangor), and Penang.

The researchers have warned locals, through local mass media, to reduce their consumption of local shellfish (see link below).

Conch, cockles, mussels, and whelks are farmed in several places along the coast of the Malacca Strait - and subsequently retailed in wet markets and sold, after preparation and cooking, at food stalls and in food courts. Quite a few fin fish are raised and farmed in cages off the coasts of Johor and Penang and also ultimately sold in wet markets and at food stalls, food courts, and restaurants.

See: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...inated-straits
Old 09-04-2019, 05:25   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Heavy metal contamination in coastal/estuarine waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
A research team from Universiti Malaya Trengganu did a survey of coastal and estuarine water on the Malacca Strait coastline from Johor to Penang in March 2019.

The researchers found high concentrations of heavy metals (Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury) in waters off Johor, Port Klang (in the state of Selangor), and Penang.

The researchers have warned locals, through local mass media, to reduce their consumption of local shellfish (see link below).
Ah!

The power of vested interests (compared the value of the life of an ordinary person).

The elusiveness of truth.

Today, magically, all (or almost all) of what was reported has been retracted.

Read it and weep:

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...traits-malacca

Tags
local information, water