Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17   #1

Suggestions for Family Two Month Sailing Expedition

My wife, 5 children, (from 14yrs to 4yrs old), and myself are relatively new to sailing, and we are beginning to plan a 2 mth sailing expedition for next year.
We were thinking of French Polynesia, but would love to hear about other ideas from those who have been there and done similar things. We do not own a yacht, and would also been interested in hearing ideas as to the most economical (if there is such a thing) way to go about such a trip.
Looking forward to hearing of your experiences.
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You might try finding someplace with a large supply & turnover of yachts where the title transfers are easy. Buy an excellent boat and sell it at the end. If you are lucky your trip will cost you broker fees and sales tax. If not, well, you just may be a permanent boat owner.

The most obvious place that comes to mind is Florida. Maybe the Bahamas but I don't know that area at all. Mediteranean?

Anywhere there are large numbers of boats and great weather.

You might be able to make a deal on a long term charter but that might work better in a low season.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:52   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
When researching the question for a two week cruise a few years ago it was cheaper for us to do it in Florida than say Mexico or the other islands when you counted in airfare and all.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonP View Post
My wife, 5 children, (from 14yrs to 4yrs old), and myself are relatively new to sailing, and we are beginning to plan a 2 mth sailing expedition for next year.
We were thinking of French Polynesia, but would love to hear about other ideas from those who have been there and done similar things. We do not own a yacht, and would also been interested in hearing ideas as to the most economical (if there is such a thing) way to go about such a trip.
Looking forward to hearing of your experiences.
You're new to sailing and so I assume you have very limited experience ocean sailing and you want to take your family to the middle of the Pacific Ocean???

Do I have this correct????

ARE YOUR COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND???

Try something a tad less risky. Like sailing across the gulf stream from Maimi to Bimini and crusie the bahamas Carry a liferaft and EPIRB. At least that way the CG have a chance of saving your family's life if the **** hits the fan. Ever been in a bad ass storm at sea? I have and it ain't no place for novices WITH a family to protect. I mean this in the best way. You need to gain ocean experience before you put your families lives in your hands at sea.. BABY steps, first, then you can run!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You're new to sailing and so I assume you have very limited experience ocean sailing and you want to take your family to the middle of the Pacific Ocean???

Do I have this correct????

ARE YOUR COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND???

Try something a tad less risky. Like sailing across the gulf stream from Maimi to Bimini and crusie the bahamas Carry a liferaft and EPIRB. At least that way the CG have a chance of saving your family's life if the **** hits the fan. Ever been in a bad ass storm at sea? I have and it ain't no place for novices WITH a family to protect. I mean this in the best way. You need to gain ocean experience before you put your families lives in your hands at sea.. BABY steps, first, then you can run!
While the tenor of rtbates post is perhaps a bit harsh, I can't disagree with his logic. Unless you intend to book a crewed charter, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Do you really want to put your family, potentially, in harm's way?

If you have more experience than what it appears, then ignore this. But if you had that much experience, would you be asking your questions in this forum?

TaoJones
Old 06-06-2008, 11:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
While the tenor of rtbates post is perhaps a bit harsh, I can't disagree with his logic. Unless you intend to book a crewed charter, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Do you really want to put your family, potentially, in harm's way?

If you have more experience than what it appears, then ignore this. But if you had that much experience, would you be asking your questions in this forum?

TaoJones
Harsh, yes indeed. I meant it to be, hopefully, a wake up call for two reasons.

1. The safety of his family foremost and

2. IF he's asking these questions, he doesn't have the experience needed. Why is that a concern of mine and should be a concern of ALL ocean sailors? Given enough folks sailing off and getting in over their heads and requiring costly assistance in the form of rescue, that puts lots of folks lives in danger, by the way, guess what the powers to be will do? They will regulate. They will start requiring proof of seamanship, certain gear must be carried. No more single handed off shore sailing cause it's too dangerous according to the 'authorities'.
The outcome can't be good for the freedom to sail when you want and how you want. Will they say, "IF you are determined to sail off then sign this wavier and we wouldn't be required to come save your ass?" Hell NO they won't. They'll pass a law making such and such unlawful. I've seen it happen over and over. Want a good example? Here is Austin Texas we have a beautiful swimming hole called Barton Springs. In the heat of summer it gets very crowded, so for 20+ years me and my friends chose to swim just down stream on Barton Springs, below the dam. Well seems were not the only ones. A few dummies who aren't high on personal survival skills chose to swim up very close to the dams out fall. Well, anyone who knows squat about water knows that a very nasty suction happens where water falls off and causes whirlpools to form. So they get hung up almost drown and have to be rescued. So what does the city of Austin do? Do they post warning signs about the danger? Offer waivers so you assume your own risk? Of course not. They assume that everyone is dumb enough to swim into the whirlpool and risk drowning and require rescue. So they pass a law that eliminates swimming below the dam. You see that's the problem with authorities and the law, They treat everyone the same, like you don't have a clue. Why? Because there are a bunch of us humans out here that apparently don't have a clue and it's too damn hard separating the clueless from the rest.

I'll now hop off my soapbox before I fall off and break a leg.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 20:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Harsh - I agree.

I interpret his plan to pick up a boat in a region (polynesia) and sail around that region. I did not interpret this as a crossing.

It would be perfectly reasonable to sail within an island group on a two month vacation. It's a one week charter 8 times...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote