Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 13:25   #31

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Re: Sailing the Amazon ???

Wow Grazziano, nice pictures! Looks like a great place to live and sail!
Old 14-01-2018, 04:32   #32

Grazziano please contact me on fb.com/bmorino or +55 11 968535668

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarany View Post
More some nature pics
brumorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 23:45   #33

Has anyone sailing up the Amazon returned to tell the story?
SailingSisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 14:38   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSisu View Post
Has anyone sailing up the Amazon returned to tell the story?
Welcome aboard SailingSisu!
I have spent a little time on the Rio Negro, in June/July, so no sailing up or down, but enough for me to think the wind is probably a tough way to make it up or down the river since there was no wind at all until a squall came by. But a good little diesel chugging along, or an outboard on a dugout canoe, or a paddle, are the common mode of transport. Anyone who doesn't return probably found a nice tropical island in the river to call home with fruit trees and a fishing pole.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 14:52   #35

I believe that was how Slocum disappeared, as well as several less famous. Why Amazon????? So many beautiful and safe places in this world....
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 22:49   #36

I always wanted to visit Manas and in August I will be retiring on a Leopard 45 ft catamaran. Was thinking of motoring up the Amazon. Looks like an adventure, but also not sure about theft and unwanted boarding...
Old 30-04-2018, 01:01   #37

You are out of your mind... or maybe we have different perspectives regarding risk.
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 03:15   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sisu.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 04:14   #39

Boat: no boat any more

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...redible_Voyage
Old 22-10-2018, 05:30   #40

Thank you for the helpful responses!

I saw Delos did one of the Amazon rivers, definitely not THE Amazon, but that is the kind of thing I like to do :-)

For the more negative guys... I heard way too many stories of clogged anchorages (the safe beautiful places) where people get into arguments with other about too loud music, or no music, too long scope or no scope, dragging anchors, etc.
Don't take me wrong, I like a good crowd and a good party, but I am trying to get away from arguments and arguing with a guy because your scopes are different or they dragging onto you but they were there first...does not sound like getting away from rat race.

Yes, I might be crazy to sail up the Amazon, but this is why I asked for people who has done it before and can tell about it. This is one way for me to be able to make an informed decision of whether I may be able to take the risk. It is kinda the same with crossing an ocean..."Are you crazy? Much safer in a marina!" :-D see the point? One can get wacked by a hurricane in a marina...

So, it is always a calculated risk to do stuff in life. I need to calculate that risk myself. Thank you for the information and I hope to get more information as I still have a lot of time before I get to Brazil ;-)
Old 22-10-2018, 10:27   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

I heard recently there's a rally being organised? Anyone know anything about this?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 12:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSisu View Post
Yes, I might be crazy to sail up the Amazon, but this is why I asked for people who has done it before and can tell about it. This is one way for me to be able to make an informed decision of whether I may be able to take the risk.
Hi Frik,
I don't think it's crazy and while I don't know about the sailing part, going up the river in your boat should be possible. I was never sailing on the Amazon river but I traveled from Sanitären to Manaus in one of those passenger boats in a hammock and on a small river boat up the Solimoes and Rio Negro.
First of all, the Amazon River ist gut, really big. Lake Malawi easily fits in a small part of it. If you want to go upstream you have to know the currents, you have to get them right or you have no chance. And you have to look out for sandbanks, they are ever moving. We saw even one of the passenger ships that go up and down regularly hitting one and getting stuck.
There are big ocean level cargo ships going up and down, you will want to avoid them, too.
But on the other hand there are kids in dugouts on the river on their own. There's fantastic nature everywhere. There will be less and smaller animals than in a game drive in Africa but they are there. The further away from villages and people the easier to find.
I don't think security would be a bigger concern than in SA. There are dangerous areas in the cities like in many other countries.

To go there with your own boat, you will need to find out about their regulations. Bigger ships have to take pilots onboard that guide them safely through the channels. Maybe that's also required for bigger boats. If not, it might still be an option or at least hire an experienced guide who knows about boats.
Even if you decide you don't want to go on the river in your boat, you still should go there and experience the Amazon rainforest. It's amazing!
exploringmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 14:20   #43

Boat: Atlantic 57

Been a few years - anybody been up the Amazon or have any new information??
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:08   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Brazil is in water crisis — it needs a drought plan

Brazil has the largest amount of fresh water in the world*. About 20% of all global inland water flowing to the oceans is generated in Brazilian territory. Yet much of the nation now faces drought. Climate researchers Augusto Getirana, Renata Libonati and Marcio Cataldi explain the complex processes that have created the crisis and describe a plan for how the country can avoid the worst outcomes.
More about ➥ https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03625-w

* If, like me, you thought Canada had the most … you’d be surprised, and also wrong [like me]:
Brazil: 8233 Cu Km
Russia: 4507 Cu Km
Canada: 2902 Cu Km

You might be thinking that, for countries with lots of water, the potential for crisis is still a long way off, but Sao Paulo’s water crisis, in 2015, proved that, even if you have the largest supply of fresh water in the world, you can no longer be complacent, when it comes to taking action on water protection.

The United States is another great example: They boast the 4th largest supply of water in the world, and yet, the droughts that continue to plague California point to a serious problem.

As global temperatures rise, and fresh water is lost to industrial pollution and contamination, the question isn’t going to be who has the most water.
It’s going to be who can take care of what they’ve got.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing