Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 18:43   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Sailing the 7 Seas - Where are they ? And why are there 9!???

The Bering Sea can be a great cruiseing grounds at the right time of year, and watch the weather and don't sail at night, anchor in one of the 1000s of places in the Aleut Islands each night! wonderful fishing and even some great hunting for those who partake in such nasty habits !LOL Oysters and clams, crab and shrimp!! Its a little cold at times but ya can eat like a rich man with just a little work !! Heck it's my favorite SEA next To the Sea of Cortez
Old 07-05-2012, 20:47   #32

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Well, not exactly . . . the oceans and other seas were there, of course, but, from a Euro-centric point-of-view, the seven you named were all they knew definitively or cared about. It was a time when most people never strayed more than about 25 miles from the place they were born, so "The Seven Seas" must have seemed as vast to them as our Milky Way galaxy now seems to us.

TaoJones

ENTER RELIGION

Who's going to argue?

Show me a tornedo-- I'll show you a very pissed-off God.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 14:56   #33

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

I counted 0ver 80 seas on the globe, before I got woozy. I'll try again tomorrow.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:39   #34

The most memorable for me was the Chuckchi Sea, just North of the Bering Sea - in the summer of 1984 it was flat and cool. The next sea on my list is The Sea of Cortez - with good fortune it should be about 14 months from now.
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:07   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Planning (far far ahead in the future!) - no real destination in mind, but thought it would be kinda cool to be able to answer the question "where have you been", with "I have sailed the 7 seas"............I was however somewhat surprised to find that (according to Wikipedia) their are in fact 9 of them!

"Medieval European and Arabic literature often spoke of the Seven Seas. Which seven seas are intended depends on the context. The "Seven Seas" was a commonplace phrase in many ancient literatures before it was taken up by the Greeks and Romans; it appears in a translation of one of Enheduanna's hymns to Inanna (Hymn 8), written about 2300 BC in Sumer (Meador 2001). The number seven has ancient magic of its own in many traditions, informing many groupings of seven. "Seven" as an indefinite number remains for a long time synonymous with "several", as in the Greek Seven Seas[1]. In Greek and Western culture, the "seven" seas were arbitrary and changed over time, varying depending upon the part of the world and the period of time. However, they were usually seven out of the following list of nine bodies of water:"I can't say that up to now I have given this a great deal of thought.

"Sailing the 7 Seas" has for me just been a saying that has been known since I was a kid, and means "have been sailing everywhere" and is a phrase usually used by 16th and 17th Century Privateers (Hey, my Ancestors were NOT Pirates, we had licences ).

It is surprisingly hard to pick "just" 7 Seas!! - I guess the solution is to do all 9??.......BUT, interestingly (??!) if I had to name the 7 off the top of my head I would have chosen:
  • Mediteranean Sea
  • Indian Ocean
  • The Carribean
  • Black Sea
  • The Pacific Ocean
  • The Atlantic Ocean
  • The South China Sea
........which add a couple more

I wonder if my GPS has a button for "Goto the 7 Seas" ??
Come on Dave everybody knows it is the West Philippine Sea,not the South China sea......DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing