Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 05:34   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well for what it's worth I live in hurricane country and BoatUS will insure me even if I keep the boat here and in the water all year. Just costs double what I paid when I kept the boat in New England.
Skip, my GS 44 is of simiilar vintage to your P 422. I can get a reasonable liability policy from Boat US (member for years), but NO hull coverage. Do you have hull coverage?
Old 27-05-2010, 06:43   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Skip, my GS 44 is of simiilar vintage to your P 422. I can get a reasonable liability policy from Boat US (member for years), but NO hull coverage. Do you have hull coverage?
Hi Elie,

Nice to hear from you. I do have full coverage from BoatUS on the Pearson but have heard that that is not always offered, especially for us guys with old junkers.

I think it is because the PO had the full policy since new with BoatUS and with that continuous history they offer additional coverage options. Older boats that were not previously insured I think they don't want to cover. Also bought the boat in NY and kept it the first season in RI where hull damage is less likely. They did add a significant increase when I brought the boat to FL, even though it is on the hard at least until the end of hurricane season.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 07:06   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Thanks for the beta. That makes sense if you had a policy from new with them. The premiums I've been getting quoted approach 5% of the market value of the boat, annually, so just aren't affordable. I live in Palm Beach County, but don't have Palm Beach $$$$! I am on a 3-helix mooring with 3/4" chain and 1" braided pennants with good chafing gear, so I guess maybe I'll just buy another new bilge pump and cross my fingers ;>)
Old 30-05-2010, 17:13   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
With a Tashing 50 - what is your mast height? Anything over 62 feet is probably going to present a problem. Also how maneuverable is your boat. You will be spending some time "backing and filling" waiting for bridge openings. You can get stuck for up to almost an hour waiting for the next bridge opening.
- - I normally plan 20 to 30 nm per day from Norfolk to Albemarle Sound and then 50nm per day south of there. Once you get to Morehead City/Beaufort you can switch and run outside in the Atlantic Ocean and make some good time. Otherwise you are looking at a very long trip if you stay inside the ICW all the way.
- - In Georgia and Florida the ICW can get down to 5 ft water depth at low tide so you will have to plan to run based on high tide which will also slow down your per day mileage.
- - However, on the other hand, there are tooooo many great places to stop and explore so the trip will fly along even if it takes a lot of days.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 19:09   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 28, hull 317, Kittiwake
Would suggest the guide "Managing the Waterway" - by Mark and Diana Doyle. Have found the overall information included more useful than any single Skipper Bob publication. Also use Claiborne Young's website - cruisersnet.net. Find the editing and editorial comments very useful. Remember that cruiser-reported information about shoaling and other problem spots can vary in accuracy, which is improved by a good editor. Have read too many cases of shoaling in some of the guides only to find 8 to 10 ft of water at MLW. There has also been a noticeable increase in dredging along the AICW in the last year or so. Peace and Fair Winds, bill
KittiwakeCD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore