Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 21:05   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Sacramento - Joaquin Delta cruising?

Hi, I was wondering about the situation for cruising up the delta in October. I really like cruising guides like they have up in Washington and Canada, that show the marinas, and anchorages, but haven't found anything for the Delta yet.

I'm curious if October is a good time to go. I'm new to the Bay Area and just passing through, but I love the hot dry climate of the Delta whenever I have driven in the area. It would be great to jump off and swim in some hot fresh water too!

I was thinking two weeks or thereabouts. Mostly anchoring. Any suggestions? What is the first anchorage after leaving San Francisco? How far before there is an anchorage and what is it called?

I found this, is this a good resource? It seems to show anchorages:
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/CleanGreen...ap-Boating.pdf

Also, I am hearing there is a pretty severe drought going on right now in California, how far up do you think I can make it? I'm fine motoring the whole trip if I need to.

October sounds like a great month as long as it's not too dry and shallow. I would think October would be good, less snowmelt, so less currents, hot like I like it, but not the extreme heat of summer.

Let me know any tips you have. Thanks.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 21:56   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Sacramento - Joaquin Delta cruising?

I live in the delta, up around the area where all the rivers join.. The Sacramento Is a mile or so the west, The San Juaquin ia 1/4 mile to the south, and the Moculmne(sp) to the east..
Dont worry about shallow water as you'll find it soon enough.. The main channels are 50 to 60 feet deep, and off the channels you,ll find good water depth in most areas.
Rule of thumb is you can anchor anywhere outside the main channel. you will find tide effects as far up as Stockton or Sacramento so if you dont have room to swing, you better set two anchors..
In many areas you can tie off to a tree on an island and drop a rear hook.
Some of the nicest areas are up around the delta loop. in the Isleton area, off the San Juaquin.. you can drop anchor in an area they call the bedrooms off the main channel and use your dink to get back and forth from the loop at either spindrift for the store or at Pirates Lair for a good place to eat.
If you want to go further up the river, either Sacramento in Old Sacramento on the docks or Stockton at the Sailing Club.. or hundreds of places between..
Theres over 1500 miles of Navagatable waterway to explore in the delta
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, delta, men