We finally made it to El Salvador on our way to the Caribbean
from our original starting point in Seattle
three years ago. We want to get somewhere that we can jump into clear warm water
almost any time and where we don't have serious concerns about weather
. Hence our destination
The very wet weather
here is getting old fast. One of our cruising friends recently recommended we go from our present location in Bahia
del Sol, El Salvador, to Ecuador
, wait out the rainy season, then come back to visit the multitude of cruising grounds in Costa Rica
. That presents us with the dilemma that is the subject of this post. Other than a lengthy transit and a few other details (charts, courtesy flags
, etc.) we basically need to decide whether to cruise
Western Central America
and endure rain, usually in the form of thunderstorms, nearly every day during the current
rainy season or follow our friend's recommendation and face the dreaded Papagallo winds during the dry (winter) season.
Would anyone who has done it both ways care to share their opinion? We will be here in Bahia
del Sol at least another week, maybe more depending on how soon we receive a repair part.