Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 17:36   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
No, the Panama to me although safe seems too busy and less of an adventure.
You seem to have made your choices already. Why ask then?

I would say avoid adventures in Magellan Strait and you will be fine.

I was nearly shot to death in Panama. This is what you have just called safe.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34   #32

Boat: Breehorn 44
Do not take the Straits of Magellan but take the Beagle Canal, spend a year there (at least) and you will have the most stunning experience of your life. Install a good dieselheater though.

see pics on Website Pacific Blue
Pacific-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
46ft here, and total cost with lines, bumpers, line handlers, broker and all fees were $1150.00 Father's Day 2010
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02   #34

44 ft,
Just cost us $ 610,00. Procedure easy, lines already on board, yachties for linehandlers.
Don't get nervous. It's a peace of cake.
But if you like real adventure, go to the Beagle Canal and Patagonia. It will be unforgettable.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45   #35

I think Galapagos is nice but rather overrated. After visiting, people don't like to admit it was a disappointment.
Once you've seen the turtles and iguana's it's just a bunch of nice islands with a nice climate. Many restrictions, no free cruising, very touristic, some old turtles in sad reservations. Only one port unless you can obtain a permit for three for an extra $ 200. And all that for $ 750 to $ 800 for a few weeks.
I know now how a cashmachine must feel.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Really?! I thought the reason why the Straits of Magellan were such a historic find and a closely guarded secret was because it was a safe passage by comparison to the Cape.
The straight was discovered much earlier then Kaap Hoorn (by LeMaire and Schouten-Dutch captains)
We sailed along the cape on a nice morning but went in quickly when the wind increased to 40 knots within ten minutes. See Avatar.
Stay away there unless you've got a deathwish or are very eager to prove yourself to others.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:24   #37

Some great info in this thread. My wife has always wanted to do Cape Horn, and I've always been too much of a chicken. Maybe we can split the difference and do the Beagle Canal. I don't mind the cold (we have a good heater and warm blankets), but Cape Horn is, was, and will always be a graveyard for ships.

But man, it would be nice to round that thing.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:40   #38

Boat: Tanton 43 Cat Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Some great info in this thread. My wife has always wanted to do Cape Horn, and I've always been too much of a chicken. Maybe we can split the difference and do the Beagle Canal. I don't mind the cold (we have a good heater and warm blankets), but Cape Horn is, was, and will always be a graveyard for ships.

You have yourself a good woman there!
svOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

We have not experienced anything yet that can compare with two winters and a summer in Patagonia. Have a look at the pics on our website. Go do it and make a trip around the Horn from the Beagle Canal. I realise it is the chicken way to see the Horn compared to the squareriggers. But still a great experience.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific-Blue View Post
We have not experienced anything yet that can compare with two winters and a summer in Patagonia. Have a look at the pics on our website. Go do it and make a trip around the Horn from the Beagle Canal. I realise it is the chicken way to see the Horn compared to the squareriggers. But still a great experience.
That's great info, and I'll check out the pictures. Curiously, what's a good range of time it would take to cross through Beagle Canal and via Drake's Passage? Maybe it's only really applicable via Drake's since in Beagle you're probably taking in the sights and sounds quite a bit (and understandably).

But for a ball park planning number, if you were going to go around the horn leaving from Beagle and then get to the other side of Beagle (via Drake's), how long of a trip would you prepare for?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24   #41

To get a clearance to go to the Horn you will have to go to Puerto Williams-Chili. From there you go east and then through Nassau Bay to the Horn Archipelago. There you find a good anchorage where you can wait for a good moment to go to the Horn (ten miles) After passing you can anchor to the east of the Cape to visit the Coastguard post and his family. Hence you sail north again to a good acnhorage. So yo can do it in about 5 days if the weather cooperates. Nightsailing is not recommended there.
If you would like to leave the Beagle on the westside and enter on the eastside it would take considerably longer because of adverse winds, nightly stops etc.
If you would like to drewl beforehand, invest in buying the afore mentioned "Patagonia Pilot. It's in English and even if you don't go there it's worth reading and looking pictures and all the background info on the region.
Old 09-12-2010, 13:00   #42

Interesting. Thanks for the info on that and everything else. I really didn't realize that Patagonia ended in cluster of islands like that, and that there are more options than Cape Horn vs. Panama Canal. I'll definitely check out the pilot guide once we get closer to that area, and maybe, just maybe, we'll look into rounding the cape. It would be quite the experience.
Old 09-12-2010, 13:53   #43

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Hi PB,
What is your website address?
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:59   #44

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Do not take the Straits of Magellan but take the Beagle Canal, spend a year there (at least) and you will have the most stunning experience of your life. Install a good dieselheater though.

see pics on Website Pacific Blue
In English, it's called Beagle Channel. Canal in Spanish means channel.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53   #45

Home Page