Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 05:54   #16

Boat: SV Tin Cup
Thanks Gord. Yes, I have seen his site before and it is a good one although it is in need of updating. Thanks again. Roger
Rippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When we went down the ditch, in 1992, there was a similar hand-written anchorage guide, that got photo-copied and passed from cruiser to cruiser.
Each cruiser would add his own notes at the appropriate places, and (over time) the guide grew to be fairly comprehensive.
I think Tom Dove's online ICW guide < http://mysite.verizon.net/tomdove/icw.html > may have grown out of that practice.
Given the exponential growth & ubiquity of the internet, I’m surprised there aren’t more of these by & for cruisers guides on line.

Or are there?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:36   #18

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Roger,
Brunswick is a nice, quiet little town with a LOT of charm in its old Victorian homes. It has, however, one severe drawback for us and it kept us from living there.

There was in the late 90s (our last visit) a very large paper mill complex west of the city. My wife is allergic to some of the emissions from paper mills and suffers immediate headaches, etc, when exposed to it.

If you can stand the smell, Brunswick is a nice town. Same issue near Fernandina Beach a bit further south. Savanna to the north has the same issues.

St. Augustine would have to be my choice for its much cleaner air.

My $0.02.
Old 09-03-2006, 17:15   #19

Charleston, South Carolina has a paper mill.

Talking about the stench. I remember walking outside one of the Navy buildings. And the stench hit me like a ton of bricks.

Since people who smoke cigerettes in the Navy has to smoke outside of buildings. And with this stuff in the air. It rather irriatated me. And it almost made me sick.

I'm sure those paper mills have made hundreds of people to move from their homes along those areas of the ICW.

I hear that since my some-what introduction to that stench. They actually made some changes to emissions. Put scrubbers on their smokestacks, is what I heard?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:27   #20

Boat: SV Tin Cup
Thanks Mark for the fill on Brunswick. I know what you mean about the paper mills! We have anchored and tied up at Fernadina a number of times going back to 1977 and the smell depended on the way the wind was blowing. Georgetown SC is the same. We were more worried about the gnats and other flying swamp critters. Not sure how long we will hang around there; thought is to use it as a base for short gunkholing trips until the fall and then head over to the Bahamas. We realize that we will pass a lot of boats heading north but that is OK since we may get to wave at some old friends along the way. July and August are hot no matter were you are with the exception of the far northeast. Thanks for your take on the town itself. We have talked to the dockmasters (Cindy and Terry) a few times and they seem pleasant and friendly. We have never stopped at Brunswick since we usually just pass it on by and head for Jykll or Cumberland or New Kettle Creek depending on direction of travel. With the ICW in GA in poor shape we may jump out at either Charleston or Port Royal and try to scoot in St Simons Sound if the weather is OK. Any more tidbits about Brunswick would certainly be welcome. Thanks again. Roger SV Tin Cup
Rippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts